Boris and Burkas ????

Walker570

I believe he is stating what the vast majority of British people think.  It used to be an offence to go 'abroad' (technical term for) outside in the public arena with face covered. If our girls go to a Muslim country they have to wear a scarf or head dress of some sort, so why can't they go without, why can't they wear short skirts.    I'm with Boris all the way.

In my opinion, public safety and security comes first.

If you are assaulted by someone wearing a full face covering, how do you identify them to the police.

And let's not forget that one of the 21/7 bombers left the country wearing one.

I can see many reasons for them not being allowed to wear one but none for.

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

In my opinion, public safety and security comes first.

If you are assaulted by someone wearing a full face covering, how do you identify them to the police.

And let's not forget that one of the 21/7 bombers left the country wearing one.

I can see many reasons for them not being allowed to wear one but none for.

Well said 

Underneath the pretend hysteria and indignation from the liberal elite (see BBC) and other closed minds (see Islam), It is apparent that whatever the pros and cons of the Muslim religion might be, they certainly don't include courtesy or respect for other people's beliefs and social mores; Boris is simply highlighting this.

Boris at least realises what May and her acolytes do not which is that if you try to please all of the people all of the time you simply end up being trusted by no one.

I think that what most people want from politicians is that they should have real rather than pretend conviction in their own beliefs and the gumption to stand up and say what they believe in. That way the voters can at least understand what and/or who they're voting for.

Boris is right , and as others have said - the vast majority of the public agree.  I think as a society we need more cohesion and integration, and the burka works completely against this. It’s not mentioned anywhere in the Koran or Hadiths - it’s a trait of Wahhabism , and I’m sure I don’t need to point out what that is about !

12 minutes ago, pegasus bridge said:

Boris is right , and as others have said - the vast majority of the public agree.  I think as a society we need more cohesion and integration, and the burka works completely against this. It’s not mentioned anywhere in the Koran or Hadiths - it’s a trait of Wahhabism , and I’m sure I don’t need to point out what that is about !

To clarify, a burqa is an invention of the Pashtun tribes of Afghanistan, and is sometimes worn by a few other sects.
It is the full 'tent' like dress with the 'grill' type thing covering the eyes.
The burqa pre dates Islam, and is rarely if ever seen outside Afghan.

A niqab is the veil with the slit for the eyes, and a movable mouthpiece for eating, this is what has been banned in Denmark , and many other European countries, it is also banned in some African countries with sizeable Muslim populations, including Morocco.

It is true that the Koran and Hadithas do not mention any particular form of any dress, other than that which preserves modesty, not dissimilar from the Bible.

Like many have said, face covering ie crash helmets ect , are banned in certain places for security reasons, so its not unreasonable to ask women to drop the veil in certain public areas.
But I think people who cite integration as a reason for its ban, are missing the point, forced integration isnt integration, but that would nt even be necessary if the people concerned WANTED to integrate.
Sadly ,whilst this is norm, as a society we are not going to get better ,before it gets worse.

3 minutes ago, pegasus bridge said:

Ah.. the old ‘it’s in the bible’ bit. Well, if and when it leaps from the pages of the Old Testament to the streets of Britain, I’ll be the first to condemn  it ?

Nah ?just pointing out that 400 odd years ago ,we had draconian dress laws, mostly down to religion and culture.
We moved on, some cultures didnt.

1 minute ago, pegasus bridge said:

Good ,straight talking article.

Cannot help but think that this is a simple attempt to gain support for Boris and lead his way to being PM. The majority of people are saying "good on you Boris" and joining in a massive back patting party - I like Boris but this is being blown out of all proportion for a reason.

Did you hear the woman on radio 2 who was brought on to debate it? Her and the bloke she was arguing with had been on the Victoria Derbyshire show in the morning and she accused him of touching her up apparently on the tele and live on the radio. A complete and utter joke. Having heard boris’s newspaper article he didn’t actually sat anything particularly rude or offensive. It’s just your normal run of the mill loony’s getting upset just for a change. 

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Cannot help but think that this is a simple attempt to gain support for Boris and lead his way to being PM. The majority of people are saying "good on you Boris" and joining in a massive back patting party - I like Boris but this is being blown out of all proportion for a reason.

Exactly what I thought - power play and testing the water. 

May told him he should apologise so he has refused. Setting the stage ...

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Exactly what I thought - power play and testing the water. 

May told him he should apologise so he has refused. Setting the stage ...

Good article by Alison Pearson in the Telegraph today supporting Boris and I have spoken to maybe 25 people this day so far and all you lot and have found no one who really disagrees. In fact May's attitude has sold her further down the river in most peoples eyes.  Spoke with my local County Councillor this morning and when I mentioned her name he virtually told me to go away and wash my mouth out. He thought the letter box comment was priceless.

I think when it cools down a bit we should have a 'Wear a Balaclava Day'.