System boiler questions

Lloyd90

So the circuit board in our boiler has blown.  It’s a systems boiler downstairs with a big hot water tank up at the top floor. 

We were told when we moved in it wasn’t a particularly good make and it’s about 14 years old. 

Considering that it would likely cost a few hundred quid to get a new circuit box and fitting on the old boiler, we are considering what it would cost to just get a new decent quality one put in. 

Obviously we don’t want to spend a couple hundred on a boiler that’s so old it’s on it’s last legs anyway. 

Just wondering what we could expect to pay for a new system boiler and fitting? Bloke is going to give us a quote but won’t know if it’s good or bad. 

House is in the city - a town house over 3 floors - 4 bed, 3 bath etc 

thanks

Lloyd 

9 minutes ago, Winston72 said:

you will be looking at about 2.2k if you need Trvs fitting and that  should include a system flush and magna clean, and also using a Worcester bosch boiler or equivalent standard  BG would be about 3.6 ish  

Thanks mate? What’s a decent quality boiler to go for if needed? Is going for a higher end one VS a mid range worth it? What difference would you expect? 

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Lloyd if it is that old you may well struggle to get another board and may be looking to go for a new fit.

Good luck.

Just waiting for quotes mate but thinking why spend a few hundred if it could be put towards a new one ... depends what they come back with ... 

I am totally bias towards Worcester bosch as IMHO and 30 years experience they have proved themselves to be a good value product, despite the 30 years in the last 12 i haven't fit anything else (system boiler wise)  the boilers are expensive but they do last, are you on a pressurized system or open vent(header tank in loft)

1 minute ago, Winston72 said:

I am totally bias towards Worcester bosch as IMHO and 30 years experience they have proved themselves to be a good value product, despite the 30 years in the last 12 i haven't fit anything else (system boiler wise)  the boilers are expensive but they do last, are you on a pressurized system or open vent(header tank in loft)

We have a large hot water tank on the top floor in an airing cupboard 

Is there a red tank near the boiler with a guage on it or small black plastic tank beside your large water storage tank in loft.... 

In your hotpress is the cylinder copper with green foam around it or a tall cylinder steel type prob around 6ft tall give or take...

33 minutes ago, millrace said:

Is there a red tank near the boiler with a guage on it or small black plastic tank beside your large water storage tank in loft.... 

In your hotpress is the cylinder copper with green foam around it or a tall cylinder steel type prob around 6ft tall give or take...

I’ll have a look when home after work mate ??

Just another happy Worcester Bosch customer.  Mine is a normal boiler (non combi 42  KW floor stander in my case) heating a pressurised (4 zone) heating system and a full mains pressure (Bosch again) hot water cylinder (no header tanks).

Been in about 2 years and has been excellent.

I sell boilers for a living. Just about every make and model available in the UK. 

Loads of pro’s and cons. 

Worcester. Good all rounder. Bit heavy on price as you are paying for the brand name. And there massive advertising campaign. 

Vaillant. Again good all rounder but not as good as they used to be. So really living off the old name. 

Gloworm. ‘Can of ronseal’ does everything it says on the tin. Nothing fancy. But just works. Good back up service. 

Intergas. Almost certainly the best quality boiler to look at and work on. Very well engineered. Very sensible prices as they are quite new to the UK domestic market. Not the greatest back up. But blimin reliable and very quiet. Typical Dutch engineering. 

Baxi. Alpha. Ideal. Vokera. Ferolli. I would sooner pick one of the above. 

First quote in - Worcester 30i removed the old boiler, flush, fit and setup new boiler etc etc - £2,450. 

British Gas coming tomorrow to quote and another one soon then see what we got. 

Around £300 to fix old boiler, but we’d rather put the money towards new boiler we decided as it’s very old so just be waiting for it to go again. 

50 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

First quote in - Worcester 30i removed the old boiler, flush, fit and setup new boiler etc etc - £2,450. 

British Gas coming tomorrow to quote and another one soon then see what we got. 

Around £300 to fix old boiler, but we’d rather put the money towards new boiler we decided as it’s very old so just be waiting for it to go again. 

My quote from British gas when my rental needed one was close to 5k.. Hope you get a better quote than I did. 

10 hours ago, Rob525 said:

Good quote will want a filter fitting too

I think that was included - magnetic filter 

9 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

My quote from British gas when my rental needed one was close to 5k.. Hope you get a better quote than I did. 

They’re coming tonight to quote 

Exact same boiler and fitting from British Gas - £3818 ... 

He also told me they would need to rip out our ceiling to fit the flu, then said “but we won’t fix it back up ... we’re not plasterers” 

I just looked at him and said “oh... that’s alright ... we don’t need a ceiling anyway.” 

Dont think he knew what to say ... 

Also tried to sell me Hive! 

Your best bet is to get an online quote from a company called Boxt. No one can touch them on their prices. I spoke to one of the guv'nors a few months back after a client got a quote from them, me and another company. It was for a commercial boiler and the prices were £4500.00 including VAT, £6500.00 plus VAT and £14,000.00 plus VAT respectively. My client still went with me after I knocked off £500 as he knows my work, and I was still making ok out of it. 

They guarantee the prices they give online and I wanted to know how they could do it so cheap and he told me they were out to corner the market in replacement boilers. I don't really have a problem with that as I can do other aspects of heating & plumbing, more on the technical side of things, which I prefer. He said they use guys from up North and pay them £400 for a regular boiler swap of £800 for a conventional to combi conversion, and they get that regardless of how long the job takes. 

They are in partnership with Bosch so tend to use Worcester boilers (apparently) and includes filter, flushing, signing off, etc. I thought about getting them in to do any replacements for me directly but they don't want to get involved with that. I don't know what their backup service is like and it was that which concerned my client as to how long he'd have to wait for them to turn up if it went AWOL.