Fishing Trip Poole Harbour

Vince Green

I want to take my OH on a "holidaymaker" sea fishing trip out of Poole harbour. I want something very low key, a couple of hours to catch a few mackerel or whatever, dangling a line over the side. the idea is that she enjoys it and wants to go again. Maybe then next time out for a bit longer and so on. I enjoy a bit of sea fishing but I want to include her, she won't shoot but I think a bit of fishing might tempt her.

What I don't want to do is put her off, and that's a real danger, I have to introduce this idea by stealth because If she doesn't like it or its too much its game over.

Does anybody know of a really tame boat trip in the Poole area ?

8 hours ago, Vince Green said:

What I don't want to do is put her off, and that's a real danger.

If you have no knowledge of her sea legs then the one thing which may put her off forever is seasickness. The first time you experience it in a small boat in an alien environment  and there's nowhere to go and you can't return to shore then you feel you want to die!!

Over 20 yrs a scuba diver, own RIB and used many sized boats I've witnessed seasickness many many times. You may like to consider seasick medicine "purely as a precautionary measure". Heavy swells on a spring tide sometimes had the risk for me so the evening before and then in the morning I would take Stugeron. It suited me but not everyone.

9 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I want to take my OH on a "holidaymaker" sea fishing trip out of Poole harbour. I want something very low key, a couple of hours to catch a few mackerel or whatever, dangling a line over the side. the idea is that she enjoys it and wants to go again. Maybe then next time out for a bit longer and so on. I enjoy a bit of sea fishing but I want to include her, she won't shoot but I think a bit of fishing might tempt her.

What I don't want to do is put her off, and that's a real danger, I have to introduce this idea by stealth because If she doesn't like it or its too much its game over.

Does anybody know of a really tame boat trip in the Poole area ?

Why spoil your day's fishing with a (potentially disinterested) novice?

I'm married to a townie who doesn't like seeing fish, fur or feather (but definitely enjoys eating the end product).

Suits me fine.

I'd give the local tackle shops a call and see what they could recommend. Chesil Bait and Tackle is more Weymouth, but they might have some suggestions of your area and definitely will in Weymouth. The other thing you can do is rig it in your favour as much as you can and book late so you're more sure of the swell and wind, which can make any fishing trip tricky. The trouble is mackerel have been few and far between on the south coast so far this year, so you may find that the easy trips aren't running so many tryips as normal. 

3 hours ago, Eyefor said:

Why spoil your day's fishing with a (potentially disinterested) novice?

I'm married to a townie who doesn't like seeing fish, fur or feather (but definitely enjoys eating the end product).

Suits me fine.

I assume you mean uninterested? If she likes it, then you have a fishing pal for life. Nowt wrong with that! and if she doesn't? well it's one day lost in the thousands left in the rest of your life! worth a punt, in my book.

Early 70s since I and a few pals used to drive down to Poole and charter a boat. It was large enough to sleep on so we moored at the quay side overnight. A couple of times the skipper suggested we try for some plaice and other flatties on a couple of marks in the harbour across near the race by Brownsea Island, nice and calm, very relaxing and some nice fish to grill for lunch.  I suggest as above you choose a very calm day and pick a skipper who is happy to stay close in shore ....quite a race round the headland west of the harbour entrance, caught pollack, ling and conger plus bonus red bream out there BUT as I said I'm talking early 70s.   My wife doesn't shoot but comes to almost all my driven days and thoroughly enjoys the day. Ace loader/cartridge empty picker.

Edited by Walker570