Sewer pipe

Lloyd90

Quick question (not related to my broken boiler lol)

How do I find / know where my sewer pipe is? I want to tap into it in the back garden to be able to connect a kennel drain to it... 

Only worry is I'm the middle terrace of 3 houses and the kennel needs to go at the back garden, worried that the pipes might be at the front of the house. 

12 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

First question - where does your soil stack drop?  Put simply are your WCs to the front or the rear of the house and where  is there a big pipe (from above roof to ground)?

On both the front and back of the house the outside only has gutter water pipers. 

All bathrooms are at the front end of the house however so I can only assume it’s inaide the house and at the front end? 

36 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Quick question (not related to my broken boiler lol)

How do I find / know where my sewer pipe is? I want to tap into it in the back garden to be able to connect a kennel drain to it... 

Only worry is I'm the middle terrace of 3 houses and the kennel needs to go at the back garden, worried that the pipes might be at the front of the house. 

be aware if you do so ...........the council might re-rate you..........

Do you know where the main sewer is own and maintained by your water provider? Is it to the back of the garden or out the front of the house? Once you know where that is lift all the manhole covers with in your property and then get someone to flush the loos. Then watch where the water goes. I do this when surveying properties and it gives you a good idea where the drains run.

Once you have located your own private drains then connect into the nearest foul water manhole nearest to where you want your kennel

First determine if your on a combined system or not, if you are then connect in on the back where the down pipes are. Dig down, following the pipe until you get to somewhere with enough fall to carry the kennel waste, and then put a junction on there. Bobs your uncle! 

23 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

What do you mean please Ditchman? 

as it was explained to me.................

your house is rated as per the area and the services it received....if you connect up another seperate area to the mains sewer that is unregistered...(and the council becomes aware of it) you could be reacessed for the rates you currently pay.....

i live in a SSSI area...and by law im allowed to build non-foundation sheds up to 10% of the area of the property.........my shed is way below that level and it is big cause it has a large covered run for the 7 dogs i had ...but no more............

i built this run and shed within the guidence of the town and country planning act...and halfway thro the build the council jumped on me   ....instructed me to take it down .,...blah blah blah....i told them get lost i was within the law..........anyway they badgered me all the time and i gave up and applied for retro planning...£178 quid...which i got...and whilst it was being issued i was asked where the effluent from the gundogs would go from the covered yard....i said the fluid would go to a soakaway and the solids would be picked up and go to a composter......

planning permission was granted on condition i reduced the height to 6'6"....(that was a real bind..as the shed was already 3/4's built with roof on)........

whilst laying the concrete for the yard i "accidently" hit the house sewer line...........and it seemed a good idea to......."............"..:lol:

moral of the story is the council answers to no one...they make up their own local rules and cause a lot of agro....if you want to contest them you must have deep pockets as they are not obliged to pay court costs...........

just get on and do what you want to do nice and quiet dont make any fuss and dont do any shoddy work that might come back to haunt you..............:hmm::good:

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

as it was explained to me.................

your house is rated as per the area and the services it received....if you connect up another seperate area to the mains sewer that is unregistered...(and the council becomes aware of it) you could be reacessed for the rates you currently pay.....

i live in a SSSI area...and by law im allowed to build non-foundation sheds up to 10% of the area of the property.........my shed is way below that level and it is big cause it has a large covered run for the 7 dogs i had ...but no more............

i built this run and shed within the guidence of the town and country planning act...and halfway thro the build the council jumped on me   ....instructed me to take it down .,...blah blah blah....i told them get lost i was within the law..........anyway they badgered me all the time and i gave up and applied for retro planning...£178 quid...which i got...and whilst it was being issued i was asked where the effluent from the gundogs would go from the covered yard....i said the fluid would go to a soakaway and the solids would be picked up and go to a composter......

planning permission was granted on condition i reduced the height to 6'6"....(that was a real bind..as the shed was already 3/4's built with roof on)........

whilst laying the concrete for the yard i "accidently" hit the house sewer line...........and it seemed a good idea to......."............"..:lol:

moral of the story is the council answers to no one...they make up their own local rules and cause a lot of agro....if you want to contest them you must have deep pockets as they are not obliged to pay court costs...........

just get on and do what you want to do nice and quiet dont make any fuss and dont do any shoddy work that might come back to haunt you..............:hmm::good:

Thanks mate ??

46 minutes ago, Delwint said:

First determine if your on a combined system or not, if you are then connect in on the back where the down pipes are. Dig down, following the pipe until you get to somewhere with enough fall to carry the kennel waste, and then put a junction on there. Bobs your uncle! 

How do I know if combined? House built in 2004. 

Thanks 

Have got a manhole cover in your yard .if so lift that and turn a tap on and see which pipe the water comes out.

the waste water normally run at the back and the storm drain at the front .dont connect to storm drain .is your toilet stack at the back dig down and tee in to that 

51 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Lloyd just get a shovel a brush and some disinfectant, ya lazy fool hahahahaha

Much cleaner and better to have a drain tapped into sewer pipe, also stops the build up and smell of pee. 

If I can’t tap into it I might not bother and just have a house dog like you ??

25 minutes ago, Swinton said:

Have got a manhole cover in your yard .if so lift that and turn a tap on and see which pipe the water comes out.

the waste water normally run at the back and the storm drain at the front .dont connect to storm drain .is your toilet stack at the back dig down and tee in to that 

No manhole cover, although a builder friend said someone may have concreted or put patio over it ... 

Will try to have a look on the plans 

If you have the docs from when you bought the house, the searches include a map of drains for your area.  With such a new house you can probably go online and see the plans for your house eg  Here is Stockton Councils Planning Portal showing Norton:

Norton High St. Planning

I can look at any plans over almost the last 20 years by zooming in on the map and clicking on the property,

Hope this helps,

RS

Lloyd, would I be right in saying that the kennel run will just have a slight slope allowing the dog pee to drain and you will hose it down couple of times a week?

If so a simpler solution given the ratio of pee to water (and the overall quantity over a month) might be to dig out a big soakaway with a plastic liner, fill it with stones and then connect your kennel drainage into it. I wouldn’t of thought you would get any smell if your soakaway drops underground by a few feet, especially if you hose it down enough each week.

would be quick, easy and cheap.

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Much cleaner and better to have a drain tapped into sewer pipe, also stops the build up and smell of pee. 

If I can’t tap into it I might not bother and just have a house dog like you ??

Nothing wrong with my crate trained spanner..... Does his business outside and when walking / training. Also no pee smell to deal with, or expenses on a fancy shed. 

Edited by ShootingEgg

1 hour ago, RockySpears said:

If you have the docs from when you bought the house, the searches include a map of drains for your area.  With such a new house you can probably go online and see the plans for your house eg  Here is Stockton Councils Planning Portal showing Norton:

Norton High St. Planning

I can look at any plans over almost the last 20 years by zooming in on the map and clicking on the property,

Hope this helps,

RS

Thanks Rocky I was advised the same, will have a look through the documents 

17 minutes ago, Munzy said:

Lloyd, would I be right in saying that the kennel run will just have a slight slope allowing the dog pee to drain and you will hose it down couple of times a week?

If so a simpler solution given the ratio of pee to water (and the overall quantity over a month) might be to dig out a big soakaway with a plastic liner, fill it with stones and then connect your kennel drainage into it. I wouldn’t of thought you would get any smell if your soakaway drops underground by a few feet, especially if you hose it down enough each week.

would be quick, easy and cheap.

Pretty much mate ?? I was considering that initially but was told it could back up and would be smelly ?

12 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Nothing wrong with my crate trained spanner..... Does his business outside and when walking / training. Also no pee smell to deal with, or expenses on a fancy shed. 

And a lovely dog he is mate ?

just like to have the ease and option of a small kennel with a drain ??

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

Pretty much mate ?? I was considering that initially but was told it could back up and would be smelly ?

You could cap the soakaway so that the top sits 6” below the ground and turf over the top. The drainage pipe will run underground into the sealed chamber and you could even fit a trap into the drainage run.

I can’t see you would get any smell with the diluted pee going that far underground and being sealed off from the surface.