Mcarbo trigger kit from the US

Hamster

The reviews online all seem to rave about this so I'm about to order a kit for my Rem 597, just to be ultra sensible............this is legal right, I mean they'll charge me VAT over here if they see fit and gun parts aren't a grey area sort of thing ? Many thanks. 

20 minutes ago, Hamster said:

The reviews online all seem to rave about this so I'm about to order a kit for my Rem 597, just to be ultra sensible............this is legal right, I mean they'll charge me VAT over here if they see fit and gun parts aren't a grey area sort of thing ? Many thanks. 

VAT and import duty and the post office will charge you about £12 to collect it. If you can find an American seller willing to sell you any gun parts these days you are lucky. They are very cautious. 

26 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

VAT and import duty and the post office will charge you about £12 to collect it. If you can find an American seller willing to sell you any gun parts these days you are lucky. They are very cautious. 

Thanks, I could always ask my gunsmith to order it I suppose. 

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

send them an email and see what they say

I just tried to do that through their web site but not sure if it's going to work, looks kind of weird and phishy to me. 

5 minutes ago, Graham M said:

Is this the one. https://www.mcarbo.com/store/p/28-Remington-597-Trigger-Spring-Kit.aspx

Because I can't see anything wrong with importing a bit of coiled wire and a couple of bushes.

As good as, going to go for the full hammer job, the gun so deserves a decent trigger, the factory job is horrendous, possibly worse than a 10/22. ?

https://www.mcarbo.com/remington-597-trigger-job-pro-kit-upgrade.aspx

20 hours ago, Graham M said:

I can't see anything wrong with importing a bit of coiled wire and a couple of bushes.

A mate tried to get a spring kit for his H&K and tried a few places in America and got the same reply from them all ' even though it is just some springs because they are for a gun, so technically a gun part, we cannot send them outside the USA' he then tried Brownells UK because it was on the US website and was told if it isn't on the UK site then they cannot get them.

His best bet is if he knows someone on holiday/lives there willing to take a chance to bring them back of ship them back for him. 

Edited by Newbie to this

37 minutes ago, Jimiles said:

I'd be interested in how you get on with this Hamster...I'm looking at buying the same pro-kit.

27 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

A mate tried to get a spring kit for his H&K and tried a few places in America and got the same reply from them all ' even though it is just some springs because they are for a gun, so technically a gun part, we cannot send them outside the USA' he then tried Brownells UK because it was on the US website and was told if it isn't on the UK site then they cannot get them.

His best bet is if he knows someone on holiday/lives there willing to take a chance to bring them back of ship them back for him. 

I called Brownells yesterday who told me the same thing, basically they can only supply the new hammer which in itself is supposed to make a 40-50% improvement but to even register to be able to import from Mcarbo will cost them $250 ! I also spoke to RimfireMagic who said they have some Vulquartsen hammers on order but nocando any mods for the springs. ?

I have just placed an order with Mcarbo and got a printed confirmation for $69.95 including a $16 charge for delivery which sounds dearer than if it were non international. I'll let people know what actually happens but not holding out much hope; incidentally I used a 10% discount code "that worked" which I'd received automatically because I abandoned my shopping cart half way through a couple of days ago. ?

They're not allowed to ship gun parts to the UK.

If you haven't spoken to them, please do ... it may help.

I was able to get a components shipped as "machine springs" and "metal tubing" some time ago ... but they're becoming less and less willing.

You may find the credit card statement shows this as 'pending' as they work out it's to the UK.

56 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

If you haven't spoken to them, please do ... it may help.

I was able to get a components shipped as "machine springs" and "metal tubing" some time ago ... but they're becoming less and less willing.

You may find the credit card statement shows this as 'pending' as they work out it's to the UK.

As mentioned I'm not too hopeful but would have thought the order page would have flagged up an error message once you scroll down to the UK ! It's supposed to take 3-5 days but hopefully they'll e-mail me and cancel the transaction if it contravenes any of their rules. Makes you think how silly these things are though as they're potentially costing their firms millions. 

Update e-mail received already

Hi Mr. H. Hajilou, 

Great news!  Your M*CARBO order has shipped and will be arriving shortly.  We're all about fast shipping!  Did we get it out the door fast enough?  If we didn't send us an email help@mcarbo.com

We wanted to let you know that your Order # XXXXXX was shipped via USPS, USPS First Class Mail Intl on 8/10/2018.  You can track your package at any time using the link below.

Fingers crossed :) 

6 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

I'm afraid that's not correct,  US suppliers can export certain gun parts from the USA as long as they are under $100 and comply with  section 22 CFR 123.17(A) of ITAR

United States law (specifically the “ITAR” – International Traffic in Arms Regulations”) allows for the export without an export license of certain firearm-related parts and components. This guide provides some details about the so-called “small parts exemption.” Here are the basics:

• Does not apply to any parts/components related to Shotguns (these are regulated by the U.S. Department of Commerce rather than the U.S. Department of State, and there is not equivalent exemption for shotgun parts in the Export Administration Regulations).
  • Does not apply to ammunition-related parts and components, such as brass, bullets or primers. These are classified as “Category III” on the U.S. Munitions List, while the exemption only refers to “Category I(a) firearms.”
  • Does not apply to barrels, cylinders, frames (receivers), or complete bolts.
  • Does not apply to any parts at all related to fully automatic firearms, even if you’re planning to use the part on a semi-auto variant.
  • Does not apply to any parts made in embargoed countries such as China, Iraq, some Russian companies, etc. (See list at this link).
  • Does not apply to Scopes, which are regulated for export separately by the U.S. Department of Commerce, and there is no equivalent exemption.
  • Exemption can only be used and claimed by a DDTC Registered Exporter (not just any business, nor a foreign individual traveling in the US).
  • As the Registered Exporter, we must still file documentation online (using the Automated Export System, or AES) to notify the government that we’re using this exemption, including the item description, tariff code, value, weight, date of export and Port of Exit.

So you're trigger/spring kit should be fine.

5 minutes ago, phaedra1106 said:

I'm afraid that's not correct,  US suppliers can export certain gun parts from the USA as long as they are under $100 and comply with  section 22 CFR 123.17(A) of ITAR

United States law (specifically the “ITAR” – International Traffic in Arms Regulations”) allows for the export without an export license of certain firearm-related parts and components. This guide provides some details about the so-called “small parts exemption.” Here are the basics:

• Does not apply to any parts/components related to Shotguns (these are regulated by the U.S. Department of Commerce rather than the U.S. Department of State, and there is not equivalent exemption for shotgun parts in the Export Administration Regulations).
  • Does not apply to ammunition-related parts and components, such as brass, bullets or primers. These are classified as “Category III” on the U.S. Munitions List, while the exemption only refers to “Category I(a) firearms.”
  • Does not apply to barrels, cylinders, frames (receivers), or complete bolts.
  • Does not apply to any parts at all related to fully automatic firearms, even if you’re planning to use the part on a semi-auto variant.
  • Does not apply to any parts made in embargoed countries such as China, Iraq, some Russian companies, etc. (See list at this link).
  • Does not apply to Scopes, which are regulated for export separately by the U.S. Department of Commerce, and there is no equivalent exemption.
  • Exemption can only be used and claimed by a DDTC Registered Exporter (not just any business, nor a foreign individual traveling in the US).
  • As the Registered Exporter, we must still file documentation online (using the Automated Export System, or AES) to notify the government that we’re using this exemption, including the item description, tariff code, value, weight, date of export and Port of Exit.

So you're trigger/spring kit should be fine.

?      Thanks for the above information. 

18 minutes ago, Jimiles said:

Excellent result Hamster..can I ask what you had to pay in total including shipping? I can't find the shipping costs on the Mcarbo site.

$69.95 total, the shipping charge is $16, bear in mind it would have been $6 extra without the 10% discount code. 

10 minutes ago, Jimiles said:

Excellent, I've had the email to say mine's also on its way. Did you have to pay any VAT?

No, living dangerously me. ? 

The pack included a 10% discount code for a next purchase in case someone needs anything from Mcarbo. :)

Took me just 20 minutes to fit it (not including the instructional video which I'd watched prior to ordering) and dry firing it feels insane compared to the old trigger, quieter too :), can well believe people who reckon it goes down to just over a lbs break ! I hope it performs well once firing it for real. 

On 14/08/2018 at 15:30, Jimiles said:

Excellent, I've had the email to say mine's also on its way. Did you have to pay any VAT?

OK idiot warning time ? :

I took the gun out today and knew immediately that something was wrong, the low noise level of the dry firing cycle was clearly a warning sign which I should have heeded. The gun refused to fire as can be seen from the light strikes pic, on the way home I was wondering whether to put the heavy hammer back on or keep the new one and use the old spring which is stronger, little knowing that I had in fact managed to install the spring back to front ! Amazingly having opened the gun up and investigated it transpires that it is possible to do so and the gun will still cock and dry fire ?  so basically I've now re-installed it correctly and the dry fire noise has gone back to before and the trigger itself feels a tiny bit heavier too, more like between 1.5 - 2 lbs break which I actually prefer. 

I have every confidence things will work next time out, fingers crossed all the same. 

22 light strike.JPG

Edited by Hamster