Help sizing a bushing.

Lord Geordie

Cooker is on the fritz after the thermo couple on the FFD failed! Having had the FFD out one can't replace the thermocouple as it's fitted from the inside out, and to open the FFD would pretty much destroy it! So I bought a new one to go in but the fitting on one side is larger 0.500" or there about and needs to be 0.467" so need a bush to adapt between the two! 0.500" being male leading to a female of 0.467" but can not find a difinative size to order the correct bush! If someone could help identifying the bush sizes I can get one ordered and get the thing back up and running as it's sat in bits at the mo and i am having to use a camping stove, as I don't want to use it without the FFD removed.

Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

The fitting just falls into the FFD as it's 0.467" and the hole is 0.500" 

Ah i see your dilemma now

There is high temperature quick steel that could be used to fix it in.

It it a threaded insert or friction fit?

If friction could you not seal the old hole up and drill a new one, failing that a call to the manufacturers may yield results

The FFD has a threaded hole of 0.500" and a thread pitch of 1.0mm I need a bush to fit this that reduces the hole to a 0.467" with a 1.2mm thread pitch! So a bush of 0.500" male to a 0.467" female!

They may be metric so It could be male 13mm x 1.25 tpi to female 12mm x 1.0mm tpi. 

This is the FFD I am trying to install, the thermocouple in the old one had disintegrated and I can't take the FFD apart without destroying! The thermocouple is inserted from the inside out and held in place with a locking nut! 

Basically when I turn the oven on the flame stays on a low as it is not registering the flame and will not open the valve inside the FFD. 

IMG_2673.JPG

nip to your local plumbers / boiler repair ang get a union that fits the new housing then when home cut a slot lengthways so you can slip it over the existing pipe and tighten down a tiny bit of boss white or similar before to get a better seal  check pipe diameter before going shopping to get a compatible part      to help with not making the slot too wide you can squeeze the pipe into an oval shape about an inch away from the fitting  hope this gets you out of trouble if on gas side check with soapy water for bubbles all the best

17 hours ago, Saltings said:

nip to your local plumbers / boiler repair ang get a union that fits the new housing then when home cut a slot lengthways so you can slip it over the existing pipe and tighten down a tiny bit of boss white or similar before to get a better seal  check pipe diameter before going shopping to get a compatible part      to help with not making the slot too wide you can squeeze the pipe into an oval shape about an inch away from the fitting  hope this gets you out of trouble if on gas side check with soapy water for bubbles all the best

you have no idea what your talking about, thats bad advice

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 16:54, Winston72 said:

you have no idea what your talking about, thats bad advice    

you do know if you are a corgi fitter  and having gained payment for repair you have to replace with a compatible fitting as a corgi fitter   / new condensing boiler  etc etc       but if working on your own property corgi does not apply  and as a private property without monetary gain you  can  carry   out repairs on your own property without corgi registered fitter inc fitting  new boilers etc  (your self )  can do for your self but cannot do for anyone else  crack on         if selling on in the future you can get insurance covering repairs etc  less than £50 re boiler repairs new upvc window fitting new roof  etc   etc etc      crack on and check  what you have done for leaks not rocket science  about 6 psi after the meter/ regulator after all you are keeping your family safe not earning big bucks  as a plumber and ripping the customers  guts out          as a tradesman the  only trade that disappeared off site in bad weather and put advert in local papers as emergency plumbers     and halted  progress for all other trades  so they could rip old dears guts out for their summer holidays    before a riot starts  I have worked alongside quite a few really decent first class tradesman/plumbers that wouldn't want their mum ripped off and are still friends after forty  years in the building game so not tarring all plumbers with the same brush

Edited by Saltings

Indeed a non gas Safe person can unbelievably work on their own property however if as a result of the work causes an accident you will be prosecuted as you cannot be proved to be compitant to work on gas. I have worked with gas most of my adult life and I cannot say that the heating guy's disappear when the weather turns,

10 hours ago, Saltings said:

you do know if you are a corgi fitter  and having gained payment for repair you have to replace with a compatible fitting as a corgi fitter   / new condensing boiler  etc etc       but if working on your own property corgi does not apply  and as a private property without monetary gain you  can  carry   out repairs on your own property without corgi registered fitter inc fitting  new boilers etc  (your self )  can do for your self but cannot do for anyone else  crack on         if selling on in the future you can get insurance covering repairs etc  less than £50 re boiler repairs new upvc window fitting new roof  etc   etc etc      crack on and check  what you have done for leaks not rocket science  about 6 psi after the meter/ regulator after all you are keeping your family safe not earning big bucks  as a plumber and ripping the customers  guts out          as a tradesman the  only trade that disappeared off site in bad weather and put advert in local papers as emergency plumbers     and halted  progress for all other trades  so they could rip old dears guts out for their summer holidays    before a riot starts  I have worked alongside quite a few really decent first class tradesman/plumbers that wouldn't want their mum ripped off and are still friends after forty  years in the building game so not tarring all plumbers with the same brush

Cant remeber what CORGI said i tend to stick to gas safe 

17 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

All sorted now! Would have updated sooner, but things with Mum n Dad are not good at the mo so having to spend a lot of time sorting things for them. 

thanks for all the help chaps! I really appreciate the knowledge I gain from here. 

Glad your all sorted L G and had a satisfactory outcome , there are certainly some very helpful chaps on this forum who have helped me out a few times as well and like you say , there help is very much appreciated .

P S ....... Hope there is good or at least better news with your mum and dads problems .