Missed my first fox

wildfowler.250

Disaster last night, fox pops out at last hour of daylight onto a grass field. 150 yards, no need to squeak in closer. Woosh, straight over the top!  Safe to say I was cursing myself. 

It’s a “how long is is a piece of string” question but is the fox likely to reappear around the same sort of time? I know they’re creatures of habit but will the fact that he’s been shot at change things? Looked to be one of this years so hopefully he’ll slip up soon..

Now to recheck zero!

Never a good feeling to miss at any range. I missed one at 30 yds then plugged him at 165 as he stopped to check what was happening. A great second shot but spent the rest of the night thinking why did i miss him the first time. Nine times out of ten he will be back especially where you miss at range and had not called him in, as he won't know what whistled passed him. Good luck on the next outing. 

34 minutes ago, oowee said:

Never a good feeling to miss at any range. I missed one at 30 yds then plugged him at 165 as he stopped to check what was happening. A great second shot but spent the rest of the night thinking why did i miss him the first time. Nine times out of ten he will be back especially where you miss at range and had not called him in, as he won't know what whistled passed him. Good luck on the next outing. 

Cheers! I cycled the bolt asap but he stopped on a skyeline to look back! It’s hurts to even type about it :lol:

5 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Disaster last night, fox pops out at last hour of daylight onto a grass field. 150 yards, no need to squeak in closer. Woosh, straight over the top!  Safe to say I was cursing myself. 

It’s a “how long is is a piece of string” question but is the fox likely to reappear around the same sort of time? I know they’re creatures of habit but will the fact that he’s been shot at change things? Looked to be one of this years so hopefully he’ll slip up soon..

Now to recheck zero!

Are you zeroing in at 100 yards? If so (depending on your calibre) the bullet is likely to be still rising at 150?

Good info here https://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

BUT....we all miss sometimes (well I do).

dont panic about the miss. without knowing your ground i would bet a pound there are more than one there:yes: get out there and stick to the job in hand. it always makes me laugh the amount of people that shoot:hmm: that says there is nothing on there land.

we all miss if you do it enough. i have missed a couple this year but i have also put one or two on the ground. if you put the effort in and time you will get plenty :good:keep at them mate

As the saying goes there are only 2 types of shooters ...those who miss and those who lie :lol:

The more you shoot the more that you will miss on pure statistics alone. The easy shots are the best ones as you think they are so easy you dont concentrate..then you miss. 

I have also missed foxes at 30 yards only to drop them at 170-200 yards when they stop to try and figure out what the heck has just happened. Keep at em bud. 

I had one in my crosshairs at only 60yds on Thursday night . The 17HMR was rested on a post , I gently squeezed the trigger and #click#,

The Winchester Varmit round  failed to fire ! So I know how you feel.

Great , ejected the round with the bolt , the fox had gone , Safety on ,and I'm looking for a bullet now in the grass , in the dark.fab.

I have decided to only take Hornady with me when hunting from now on.