whats it do

peck

just above my rear view mirror that is fitted to the windscreen there is some sort of sensor, does anyone know what it does? its in its own little housing thats fitted into the roof lining.

The reason i ask is because i would like to wire my dashcam to the wires that are connected to this sensor.

5 minutes ago, peck said:

just above my rear view mirror that is fitted to the windscreen there is some sort of sensor, does anyone know what it does? its in its own little housing thats fitted into the roof lining.

The reason i ask is because i would like to wire my dashcam to the wires that are connected to this sensor.

Alarm sensor?

1 hour ago, Flyboy1950 said:

You haven't said what the year, make or model of the car is, so its best guess really, as said it could be an alarm  or even a rain sensor that turns the wipers on for an intermittent wipe.

If it's attached to the window, I would agree and say that it's a rain sensor.

dash cams are 5v mate do not connect direct to 12v or you,ll fry it

you can get drop down connectors from evil bay for a couple of £ .

I think I have a spare one somewhere if you want to cover post on it they have a + & - wire that you attach black to ground red to 12v+ and that's it they have the correct end for most dash cams

I am not a vehicle electrician but if it were my car I would not be trying to wire anything to the sensor. It is probably sending a continuous report to one of the cars multitude of  processor units which could easily screw things up. Far better to try and wire its own permanent supply via the ignition switch, and a drop down voltage regulator, that way it will turn on and off from the ignition key.

Just my 2 pennyworth.