Ex miners or interested in mining.

redial

My dear old dad, went down the pits during the war years, I think Durham way, he used to lodge there and come back when he could, he was what was known has a Bevin's boy, and did his training in Kent first, worked has a hewer, still got his paperwork, said at times he used to work in 18 inch coal seams.

9 hours ago, Gunnut said:

My dear old dad, went down the pits during the war years, I think Durham way, he used to lodge there and come back when he could, he was what was known has a Bevin's boy, and did his training in Kent first, worked has a hewer, still got his paperwork, said at times he used to work in 18 inch coal seams.

And I've thought some factories I've worked in were grim, don't know I'm born.

My dad, and all his family were miners in the south derbys mines, mostly face workers. He always made it clear I was never to get a job down there due to the danger. 

I remember as a kid him being several hours late one day and when he did get home a different atmosphere in the house. One of his friends had his leg crushed and they had to remove his leg to get him out, dad helped the medic at the scene.