Tipping

Hi

I run a small shoot, with bags between 50-60 and occasionally into the 80s.

We have an established syndicate and also provide two let days for a team of Guns who shoot every season.

Although the let day team tip me (as the 'keeper), the syndicate Guns never have, and I would appreciate your thoughts as to whether this is normal, as if not, I will introduce for the coming season.

I would also add that the tips would go into the shoot kitty, rather than my personal stash!

Thanks

I am a member of a walk/stand syndicate. We put down a little over 2 thousand Pheasants, split between 3 seperate areas and have 3 retired guys who act as keepers one for each area.

We pay the keepers fuel for vehicle journeys to and from the shoot area to cover their feeding-up work. Two of the keepers who still enjoy their shooting get a half-gun in the syndicate for free. The 3rd no longer shoots but turns up on shoot days and with his vehicle, acts as the game cart. Our bags are similar to yours. We have a number of work parties each year that members are expected to attend. Not carrying out the agreed quota of work parties per year results in a fine for days missed. While it is difficult to enforce tipping, we expect all the Guns to show their appreciation on a shoot day by a discreet handing over of a note or two. We view this as showing our thanks, not just for the day, but the work carried out by the keeper throughout the year.

The last commercial shoot where I took a gun in a small syndicate (taking 4 X 100 bird days) we all handed over a drinking voucher if we had a good day. The big syndicate I'm in now we pay £900 for our 8 days, we have 2 p/t keepers who get to shoot for free but we still reward them with a good bottle of malt and support them with the bigger tasks ie creosoting partridge pens, cleaning drinkers etc etc.

The last shoot syndicate I was a member of was run very well and had a number of 'helper' keepers one for each pen as mentioned above.  At the end of each day a tin with a slot in the top was placed on the table and each gun folded a few notes and slipped them in there.  It was then shared out at the end of the year I believe. Excellent idea until you get a mean bunch of whatsits ...don't want my wrist slapped but you know what I mean. On one occasion which happened to be one of the best days of the season for ten guns there was only £80 in the tin, my contribution was £20, which made the other nine average almost a fiver.  As a result the shoot captain then had to make a £20 minimum tip.

Having said that, I do arrange an occasional day away for friends and they often ask about what to give.  I never make a suggestion but ask them what they thought the day was worth.

I do OBJECT to buying a days shooting and then being INSTRUCTED as to what my tip should be. On occasioon that has resulted in my contribution being 50% of that ORDER.  Tipping is a personal thing be it for a days shooting or service at table after a good dinner in an eating establishment.

If there's a fixed amount levied on a shoot day it's not a tip! It's part of the cost of the day! A tip is an amount voluntarily given which you are comfortable to give, in order to show appreciation of a good day! 

I understood from another gun (a pal!) on a shoot some years ago, one gun tipped the head keeper £70..... my pal commented "**** me, I want to thank him, not **** him" which seemed apt! ?

They're is a difference between going on a paid day and a syndicate day which ur a member off.

Do ur syndicate help out with work parties? Or is ot walk 1 stand 1?

Must admit i've never tipped a DIY syndicate captain/keeper other than a bottle for the whole shoot and likewise have never recieved or expected a tip from guests of the syndicate i ran, other than odd bottles which i usully put on the able in bothy.

But i usually tip fairly generously on the rare occasion i take a paid day, usually small days or a gun for dog training days, mind the last FT i shot in i think i was the only gun to tip the keeper (must admit not sure if that is the done thing?)

Althou i do know of 1 syndicate captain who expects guests of syndicate members to tip him, he does do 90% of the work on that shoot thou.

Can't really see the point in taking tips of syndicate guns and then putting it back in kitty, either keep it for urself or use it to treat the beaters to a nite out after keepers day or something

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2018 at 12:58, TIDES EDGE said:

All keepers should be tipped and I think the general rule is £20 per 100 birds or more if you have had a  good day personaly.

Err, we don’t tip our keeper, we do pay his wages, house and car costs etc though...