Speed Cameras

VicW

An interesting trend in Lincolnshire right now that may be happening elsewhere. Speed cameras are being replaced by what look like Average Speed cameras except that there isn't series of them. They look like average speed cameras in that they are mounted on top of high poles so that they are not immediately obvious from the ground when driving along and the poles aren't yellow all the way down to the ground.

I thought the law regarding the sighting of speed cameras required that they are in clear sight and painted yellow.

Vic.

They have also been Installing them here in South and West Wales, I have been lead to believe that they are a sort of ‘Live’ speed camera, as in the info is transferred digitally as opposed to needing a camera inside the box as per the GATSO.  Will probably be able to rake in a few more million a year, especially if they are somehow camouflaging them though I must say the ones they’ve replaced here are still being painted bright yellow.

Didn’t the law changed a few years ago regarding them being visible?. I think, though I may be wrong, they can once again hide behind corners/around bends and use unmarked vans as they once did if they want to.

The cameras themselves are yellow but are the top of thirty foot poles and not obviously visible. Yes of course you should not be exceeding the speed limit but the old style cameras were an additional reminder that you were in a restricted area.

Vic.

Interesting. There are some average speed cameras at a local village, installed a couple of years ago, high up on yellow structures. Everyone believed they were empty cases until a local received a ticket. Those who know the road and are turning off in the village totally ignore them.

There are speed camera signs and a 50 limit on the A686 just down the road, but judging by the speeds of bikers on their way to and from Hartside,  I don’t think there are actually any cameras. 

Is it the 428 ..runs from Northampton to Bedford ..?   A series of dark blue cameras on that route on high poles and average speed warning signs.  

Should go back to the good old days when you had a big black box on a table on the side of the road and police in uniform down the road to stop you and issue a ticket.

I was one of the first to be trained on these in the 60s and a local village, Hampton in Arden,  Parish Council Chairwoman made loud noises about the speed of cars through the village

so our Inspector said it would be a good place to get some practise.  The first motor through at 48mph was the husband of the good lady ..... we all had a chuckle over that.

4 hours ago, kenholland said:

don't have to worry about speed cameras round by us the local's torch em .

We're unlucky enough to has some very slack local councils. The rubbish beside the roads is awful. We keep getting carrier bags stuck on our number plates. It's an awful convenience.