3” chambers for fowling?

wildfowler.250

So I’ve used the 3 1/2” autos for years but fancy going down the o/u or sbs route. Not as my main fowling gun but more for a change of pace. 

How do folk find the 3” chambered guns for fowling? I’ve shot plenty geese with Gamebore 36g 3”s which is my go to duck shell. They do a size 1 which would be okay. Do the guns tend to kick like a mule? I’ve never had any issues but the semi auto fairly soaks it up!

Interested to hear folks experiences! 

Cheers!

Edited by wildfowler.250
Spelling

A 36 grm 1 is an ideal goose load in my eyes . The gun might kick a tad more depending on wheight but not noticeable so. 

I've owned several 31/2 inch chambered guns but nearly always use a 3 inch load in them. Most of my goose shooting is Canada geese around 25,,- 40 yards and 3 inch 1s do the job 

I use 3inch kestrel side by side now. 

Edited by ratty1

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I love the 42g 3 1/2” Gamebore 1’s and have loads of faith is them but I just fancy something different. How do you find the 36g 1’s hit/pattern further out? I know you get more of a shot string effect with larger loads anyway but psychologically at least I feel better using them!

Go for it ! Totally agree with the above , i was up your way , after a long drive grabbed a handful of cartridges went straight out on the shore it was a Saturday, 

Had a couple of 3 1/2 mammoths, and 6 3 inch gamebore , ended up been a good goose flight , did doubt them for a second as I had them for duck , they did the job no problem, I would certainly use them ?

9 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I love the 42g 3 1/2” Gamebore 1’s and have loads of faith is them but I just fancy something different. How do you find the 36g 1’s hit/pattern further out? I know you get more of a shot string effect with larger loads anyway but psychologically at least I feel better using them!

Morning.  I think they pattern well up to 40 yard for shop bought cartridges. I personally use homeloads in either 36 g or 37 1/2 gram 1s , they pattern very well at 50 and beyond but stick to 50 as a max. As a rule though if I'm out after pinks then I generally take a 10 bore and BBB steel. 

If you think about though ,people have shot for years before the 3 1/2  inch came about and they still managed to shoot geese. 

I have a 3 1/2 inch ou but rarely shoot 3 1/2 carts these days.

3 inch 3's 36 gr take everything that i want to shoot at at a range i feel happy shooting at...... 

was I buying another gun now, dont think i would pay extra to get the 3 1/2

as to recoil, hardly notice any difference

I normally use Fiocchi 2 3/4" 35g in  2's and it works well. I would say better that the Lyalvale Express 3" 36g number 3's, but that might be the pattern as I don't suppose 1g of shot is going to make much difference. Again mostly Canada geese and ducks. 

Plus the chamber in my Winchester 1500 which I shoot the best with.

16 hours ago, ratty1 said:

A 36 grm 1 is an ideal goose load in my eyes . The gun might kick a tad more depending on wheight but not noticeable so. 

I've owned several 31/2 inch chambered guns but nearly always use a 3 inch load in them. Most of my goose shooting is Canada geese around 25,,- 40 yards and 3 inch 1s do the job 

I use 3inch kestrel side by side now. 

May I ask what cartridges you use in the Kestrel?

Edited to say did you mean a 12 or 10?

Edited by harrycatcat1

1 hour ago, ratty1 said:
16 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Ile put anything through that kestrel . Will be mainly lightning 3s and homeload 36 gram 1  , all steel. 

Have a greylag 10 

Use Winchester supreme or 42 grm BBB steel homeload. 

Thanks, I have just acquired a Kestrel 12 and it feels just fine, I hope to get it onto the marsh this season.

Cheers for all the replies! I’ve no issues with lead loads,( 2 3/4” express in 42g used to be my go to). I was just more concerned with 36g steel and the higher birds. Using steel ones in 36g, is the pattern quite gappy further out? I wouldn’t be comfortable going smaller than this.  I’m not massively into stretching things but there’s the occasional flight where a high 55 yard bird saves the day!

Very keen to go back to a double barrel of some sort though!

Apologies for the delayed reply, worked this weekend and it was incredibly busy!

On 12/08/2018 at 09:59, joejoe said:

I normally use Fiocchi 2 3/4" 35g in  2's and it works well. I would say better that the Lyalvale Express 3" 36g number 3's, but that might be the pattern as I don't suppose 1g of shot is going to make much difference. Again mostly Canada geese and ducks. 

Plus the chamber in my Winchester 1500 which I shoot the best with.

Italian 2’s are 3.5mm as are most UK steel 3’s. 

Its always easier to talk in pellet diameter as steel as sizes aren’t standardised.

3 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Cheers for all the replies! I’ve no issues with lead loads,( 2 3/4” express in 42g used to be my go to). I was just more concerned with 36g steel and the higher birds. Using steel ones in 36g, is the pattern quite gappy further out? I wouldn’t be comfortable going smaller than this.  I’m not massively into stretching things but there’s the occasional flight where a high 55 yard bird saves the day!

Very keen to go back to a double barrel of some sort though!

Apologies for the delayed reply, worked this weekend and it was incredibly busy!

Gamebore or RC 36grm 3 or 1's if put up front will cleanly kill Geese no problem at your high range. I use 36grm Steel for 99% for Foreshore Geese even through my old AYA no3 Mag choked 1/4 an 1/2.

Obviously ability counts but so is confidence hope to see/hear of success in the coming season

23 minutes ago, B525 LIGHT said:

Italian 2’s are 3.5mm as are most UK steel 3’s. 

Its always easier to talk in pellet diameter as steel as sizes aren’t standardised

Ok I didn't know that it says 3.5mm on the cartridge I just had a look. 3.1mm on the 4's. Its a pitty they are green so you spend ages looking for the empties.

2 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Gamebore or RC 36grm 3 or 1's if put up front will cleanly kill Geese no problem at your high range. I use 36grm Steel for 99% for Foreshore Geese even through my old AYA no3 Mag choked 1/4 an 1/2.

Obviously ability counts but so is confidence hope to see/hear of success in the coming season

Glad to hear it! Will keep everyone posted up if pick up a new shooter!

Edited by wildfowler.250

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Charlie Anderson said:

This season I plan to use fiocchi 3 inch steel shells as last year I found the mammoth steel were jamming a lot. Will let you know if this turns out to be a mistake or not. My son killed his 1st pink foot aged 12 with 3 inch so I reckon if you get them in range 3 inch is good enough. 

Of course if you get them in range a 3" cartridge is enough. The same can also be said for 2 3/4", or less.

2 hours ago, Charlie Anderson said:

Next you will advocating 410 only joking ?

Not advocating But 2 days after his 9th Birthday my Grandson shot his first and second Pink with a .410 using 2.5" hand loaded Bismuth Cartridges. Myself I've shot every species of Goose you could mention with a .410 only last season shot Pink's under the Moon with one.

Stick the shot under the chin and " Nut Em " they will be killed cleanly.

Not sure I’m am quite ready to buy bismuth as I still have a mortgage to pay but taking your kids or grand kids out is the future of the sport. Love to shoot under a cloud ridden sky with the moon lighting them up. It’s that feeling that quite possibly you are the only person mad enough to be out in foul weather.