Lidl Impact Driver

billytheghillie

29 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

I recently bought one of these, the question is can I put a 19mm socket on it to remove car wheels? If so what size of bit do I get for it? Im useless with these things.

Surly you could figure out what size sockets your going to need. 

U'll have to find out wot size the 'drive' is on ur 19mm socket?

All socket sets have different drrives (size of the square bit on the ratchet) i think usually 3/8ths, 1/2" and either 3/4 or 1" on heavy duty agri/truck/ big dai socket sets.

I would guess at 19mm likely be 1/2".

Must admit i don't know if i'd even bother, i dunno if a cheapy 1 will have the torque and i'd aso be worried about cross threading the studs,can be an expensive mistake (if re tapping soesn't fix it) as a mechanic/tyre fitter done it to my motor and i couldn't prove which 1 done it o had to pay for it myself, 2nd hand hub

I just use an old fashioned 4 handeled tyre iron's, ur not long taking studs of with them (my local tyre fitters have went back to them) put a piece of pipe/box section in to fit over the handle and its amazing the leverage/force u get for removing stubborn nuts

14 minutes ago, scotslad said:

U'll have to find out wot size the 'drive' is on ur 19mm socket?

All socket sets have different drrives (size of the square bit on the ratchet) i think usually 3/8ths, 1/2" and either 3/4 or 1" on heavy duty agri/truck/ big dai socket sets.

I would guess at 19mm likely be 1/2".

Must admit i don't know if i'd even bother, i dunno if a cheapy 1 will have the torque and i'd aso be worried about cross threading the studs,can be an expensive mistake (if re tapping soesn't fix it) as a mechanic/tyre fitter done it to my motor and i couldn't prove which 1 done it o had to pay for it myself, 2nd hand hub

I just use an old fashioned 4 handeled tyre iron's, ur not long taking studs of with them (my local tyre fitters have went back to them) put a piece of pipe/box section in to fit over the handle and its amazing the leverage/force u get for removing stubborn nuts

+1 Also a length of wood with hole to take "Other "end of spider & right length to support & keep level, or socket & length of pipe

11 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

+1 Also a length of wood with hole to take "Other "end of spider & right length to support & keep level, or socket & length of pipe

Thats a clever idea ?

Must admit i tend to just hold the other end with 1 hand and either feet/hand on the pipe, never had the nuts that tight yet

7 minutes ago, scotslad said:

Thats a clever idea ?

Must admit i tend to just hold the other end with 1 hand and either feet/hand on the pipe, never had the nuts that tight yet

VW Split screen camper,spent two nights above Carrbridge after I burst my socket,  then AA man ( when he arrived )burst his,second day & a snap on socket, & his trolley jack handle, & an allmighty bang & off it came, maybe fitted by an air impact gun.

Undo with impact drive, then to replace wheel nuts use to butt up to wheel using impact drive  then use torque wrench or brace to torque up. 

And be careful with locking wheel nuts, don't over tighten, you needn't really torque to the max, snap one and your stuffed. 

Funny i noticed those the other week althou was after a set to adapt sockets from 1 drive to a different drive.

It does say on thoose No impact drivers.

I'm sort of new to using impact drivers for putting screws in but the screw bits just seem to implode/shatter nowadays where with a battery drill would just loose the edge

Even the bits designed for drivers (but i d use a lot of bigger dai/longer screws)

I can’t see what impact driver you bought but if it’s a standard type I wouldn’t  think it has any where near the torque required to undo wheel nuts . They are designed to put in and take out screws , the ones designed for wheels have the 19 mm drive as standard and as said it’s a impact driver not impact wrench ..

i have the 10 piece set for about 2 years now can cant not fault them i have used them alot in my makita impact driver from taking of car wheels to removing leaf spring and u bolts on  pick up truck to just quickly remove nuts and bolts from allsorts. try looking on ebay as a lot of old stock screw fix stuff end up on there still new, 

On 12/08/2018 at 20:28, scotslad said:

Funny i noticed those the other week althou was after a set to adapt sockets from 1 drive to a different drive.

It does say on thoose No impact drivers.

I'm sort of new to using impact drivers for putting screws in but the screw bits just seem to implode/shatter nowadays where with a battery drill would just loose the edge

Even the bits designed for drivers (but i d use a lot of bigger dai/longer screws)

they work fine in my makita impact driver and that's 160nw of torque, agree if you  use standard screw bits in a impact driver they shatter