Another glorious 12th, another protest

ShootingEgg

I wonder why it wasn't clearly stated that although today is the first day of the grouse shooting season, shooting wont be starting until tomorrow as the shooting of some game birds isn't allowed on a Sunday, rather than simply saying it is illegal to shoot game birds on a Sunday? ?

Talking to a mate at Lowther yesterday who works for a local estate, he told me they only have four days this season due to the bad weather earlier in the year.

3 minutes ago, scotslad said:

I see in this weeks ST that out of 34 HH chicks fledged 21 came from grouse moors..

Don't see the bbc reporting that

You could always ask them why they haven't reported that. 

I’ve seen lots of people saying numerous days cancelled! 

Freezing harsh winter snows apparently saw a lot of birds off, only to be followed by hot summer, leaving no food and no water. 

Apparently number are right down and some places have cancelled either most or all their days. 

BBC should be reporting “shooters take responsible action on grouse moor as they cancel shoots due to low numbers”. 

Again, it is dead easy to complain to the BBC and inform them. Takes about 5 mins to fill in the form online. If no one complains then misleading or inaccurate information goes unchallenged and becomes established fact. 

Edit: Dont forget to ask for a reply.

Edited by Scully

Quite a few moors have pretty much cancelled the entire season.

I was hoping to have a big year on grouse this year and do 40-50 days this season but doubt i'll even get out at all now. All the usual moors i go to have cancelled.

While its not good its only the last 10-15yrs that moors have been shooting grouse every year, before that many moors would only shoot 2-3 years out of 5 the way the cycle worked.

Just now many moor owners will be used to having an income coming in every year, have heard a few returning deposits.

My two days (both tiny walked up days of 3 or 4 brace a day) in Scotland are cancelled this year, so I am frantically practising unravelling fishing line ready for trying for a few trout instead! We hire a lodge and have a week in Scotland as a group of friends anyway for fishing, walked up shooting (and stalking for those who stalk).  Been doing it every year for well over 30 years now.

On 12/08/2018 at 09:41, Scully said:

Again, it is dead easy to complain to the BBC and inform them. Takes about 5 mins to fill in the form online. If no one complains then misleading or inaccurate information goes unchallenged and becomes established fact. 

Edit: Dont forget to ask for a reply.

Done that. Felt it was pretty one sided as always. 

Just now, Scully said:

Good. Would you let us know if you get a reply? ?

Certainly, I highlighted the very one sided article where the quote feom basc was 3words. And that it was very much anti, rather than anything else. Moor management is so much more than jiat shooting grouse. 

Blinkered views of the masses though. 

22 hours ago, Scully said:

Good. Would you let us know if you get a reply? ?

One reply... 

I understand you feel the report fails to provide a balance of views on the topic, and should have featured more detailed contributions in favour of grouse shooting.

We appreciate the time you have taken to raise this issue with us, however, we would emphasise the focus of this short article is on calls for Yorkshire Water to ban grouse shooting from moorland in West Yorkshire and the company's response to the protest. The debate on grouse shooting itself is not the subject of this particular report.

The article explains the context of the story before featuring comments from Luke Steele (Ban Bloodsports on Yorkshire's Moors), Paul Carter (Yorkshire Water), and, as you acknowledge, Glynn Evans, (British Association for Shooting and Conservation). The latter said, "the benefits of grouse shooting are "massive and varied" and"Grouse shooting supports rural communities; families, schools, shops, garages".

We assure you impartiality is a core value of the BBC, and one reason why we believe our news coverage is trusted and respected around the world. We apply this principle to our reporting of all issues and never take a position on anything that we cover - we always aim to reflect a broad range of voices on any given subject.

However, due impartiality isn’t necessarily always achieved in one single report or programme, so we would ask that you take account of how we cover a topic over time.

Nonetheless, please be assured, we appreciate your feedback on this issue and I have passed your comments forward on a report which will be read by senior BBC management and the BBC News Website team.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards

Emma Duff

6 minutes ago, mickyh said:

Its a slippery slope.

Not long ago the protesters were at Ilkey Moor.

Guess what doesn't happen there anymore.

Bradford Council caved into them !

They did, atleast currently the water company see it as economically viable too. 

But it is a slippery slope, I'm guessing that ilkley is now no longer managed so will go to ruin and grouse will disappear, maybe if this is the case then it should be heavily publicised that the removal of shooting has contributed to that if it does happen 

Ilkley moor (and esp Langholm 2 as already a lot of ecological surveys been done over last 20 years), while not good for shooting or its PR and are a great confidence booster to the antis and do set a bit of a precedent.

But they do present an ideal opportunity for Basc/nGO mibee Moorland Assoc or Heather trust alongside GWCT to get in there and do some proper ecological surveys for habitat and birds to show wot a moor can support recently after shooting and how it goes downhill over the years.

Its too good an opportunity to miss and could provide vital ammo for the fiuture and upcoming battles with the anti's, showing exactly wot happens when u stop the moorland mangeemnt and predator control

The only slight flaw in it is with it being such a terribbe year for grouse country wide will skew the results slightly.but thats nature

5 minutes ago, scotslad said:

Ilkley moor (and esp Langholm 2 as already a lot of ecological surveys been done over last 20 years), while not good for shooting or its PR and are a great confidence booster to the antis and do set a bit of a precedent.

But they do present an ideal opportunity for Basc/nGO mibee Moorland Assoc or Heather trust alongside GWCT to get in there and do some proper ecological surveys for habitat and birds to show wot a moor can support recently after shooting and how it goes downhill over the years.

Its too good an opportunity to miss and could provide vital ammo for the fiuture and upcoming battles with the anti's, showing exactly wot happens when u stop the moorland mangeemnt and predator control

The only slight flaw in it is with it being such a terribbe year for grouse country wide will skew the results slightly.but thats nature

Are BASC/NGO actually conducting surveys on moors once keepers for grouse? I agree, it would be a fantastic opportunity if so. 

Ah well.....anyhow, haven’t received a glimmer of a reply from the BBC yet. 

I asked, given that the article stated the grouse season started on the 12th ( which was a Sunday ) and that they then closely followed this with the statement that it is illegal to shoot some game birds on Sundays, why they then hadn’t made the statement that with this in mind, no grouse would be shot until the Monday. For those who wouldn’t know this, I felt the article was somewhat misleading, giving the impression that shooting would be going on regardless of this fact. 

Deliberately misleading? Anyhow, like I said, no reply. 

10 minutes ago, Scully said:

Ah well.....anyhow, haven’t received a glimmer of a reply from the BBC yet. 

I asked, given that the article stated the grouse season started on the 12th ( which was a Sunday ) and that they then closely followed this with the statement that it is illegal to shoot some game birds on Sundays, why they then hadn’t made the statement that with this in mind, no grouse would be shot until the Monday. For those who wouldn’t know this, I felt the article was somewhat misleading, giving the impression that shooting would be going on regardless of this fact. 

Deliberately misleading? NoAnyhow, like I said, no reply. 

Although slightly disappointed, im not surprised, i was more surprised I got a response if im honest. 

On a positive, charlie jacoby did get onto bbc radio Somerset to promote the partridge season and exmoor shoots, going onto say that due to this years weather, the grouse Moor estates were taking steps to reduce the numbers shot by canceling days etc.