What guns to choose?

Jay1234

Hey, looking to apply for my fac in the next month but I'm struggling to decide what to ask for, I'm a member of a rifle club and have land with permission for anything up to .223, the club will support calibers up to .308 for first time applications, I have a 6gun safe with the only shotgun I use to figure asking for 5 rifles should be fine? 

Thinking il ask for a .22lr  a .17hmr  a .223  a 22-250 and a .308 just to cover all bases but I'm wondering what other people's opinions are? 

Any opinions would be great

cheers jay 

First time, and looking for .223, .22-250 and a .308................

I would assume that the .223 would be for land use, and whilst I am very supportive of shooters getting into shooting, I personally would be a little nervous of a new shooter going out over land with a .223. Your FEO may think along the same lines.

Go for the .22 and the 17Hmr ,and if your club shoots .308 on the range try for that as well, but you MAY have a problem with the .223 and the .22-250

Hello graham, thanks for the reply and I appreciate your concerns and would agree, I did fail to mention that I shot .223 with the Royal Navy for 4 years and have been shooting rifles outside of the military for the last year as well (5 years in total with rifles plus an extra year before the Royal Navy with the shotguns) so am very well versed in firearms safety and what the round of going to do when it hits something, weather it be the target or whatever is behind it (mainly soft dirt on my land) 

so given that I'm not really asking if it's safe for me to have, just oppinions on if it's a good selection of calibers, but I do appreciate the concern

cheeds jay 

Just a thought (and bear in mind I have and use a .22-250) a good and sensible compliment to .223 and .308 is .243.

.22-250 is a REALLY good Fox and small deer round but, it’s not lawful for full size deer. .243 is and seems to be popular with FEOs as a ‘game/vermin’ round. Also lots of good factory ammo ammo available for it. If you get a .22-250 with a light barrel and use ugly factory ammo it can be a real handful to get accurate. Mine has a heavy barrel and I reload so can play with loads and now it is awesome. 

.243 tends to be slightly softer shooting, easy to manage, and as you have experience will be easy to set up. It will do most things a .22-250 will other than like 500yd foxes and I am not sure there are many reckless enough to do that in the real world (and certainly unless in Scotland there isnt many places you could that with a safe flight and backstop in England/Wales). 

Just my thoughts and FYI I started out with .22-250 and .270 but had Fox shooting and land and a DSC1.

Thanks for the input graham, just for some more details, the land varies in shootable distance, from 25yards all the way out to 700-800 yards (haven't measured it but that's what I'd guess) so would be nice to have rifles that I can use on that land for longer range target shooting, we also shoot crows between 50 and 200 yards, foxes up too 300 (could do further but would be worried about fluffing the shot) and as I say the land is rated for .223 and anything smaller

any other calibers you guys would suggest? 

1 minute ago, spandit said:

You'll also find way more reloading data for the .223 as it's so popular in the USA.

That's a good point too, friend of mine has a load that works great for his rifle, might have to try that one first if I get the .223 and see if my rifle likes it too? 

Edited by Jay1234

19 minutes ago, spandit said:

You'll also get a massive range of different bullets for the .223 (and other .22CF) that you wouldn't get with the Ruger. I'm tempted by a 17 hornet but don't really need one and don't think it would do much that my .223 can't do.

Yeah that's a good point too, I would like to eventually reload for the Centerfire rifles but that's mainly to reduce ammo costs, I'm not worried about putting round on top of round (with the exception of the .308 maybe?) but atleast with the .22 and the 17hmr there's lots of very available ammo 

Start with what do you want them for. 

One or two for the range, one for hunting in the day one for hunting at night and one for rabbits.

Thats a 308 target rifle, a 243 or 308 for days hunting with a quality day scope (assuming you have some deer) a .223 for night with night scope and a hmr for the rabbits. 204 is not lawful for some night time quarry. 

Sorted.