What guns to choose?

Jay1234

some good advice I had was to apply for everything including a possible sacrificial calibre that you can let the feo knock you back on so that they can say they are limiting firearms and all that tosh - the feo accepted all my good reasons and granted the lot but not an open ticket which has meant several days off for 'site visits' to have land cleared when I should have gotten my act together and made sure that all possible tracts of land were taken into consideration in the first place.

7 minutes ago, 243deer said:

some good advice I had was to apply for everything including a possible sacrificial calibre that you can let the feo knock you back on so that they can say they are limiting firearms and all that tosh - the feo accepted all my good reasons and granted the lot but not an open ticket which has meant several days off for 'site visits' to have land cleared when I should have gotten my act together and made sure that all possible tracts of land were taken into consideration in the first place.

That's interesting that they came out to look. I had 24 farms cleared and they only came out twice with me to see two parcels and one of them was my garden. 

Who said the 204 is not lawful???

Ditch the 22RF and ask for a 17HMR unless you have certain jobs which require aboslute silence then the 17HMR will do anyhting the 22RF will do unless you like killing paper targets then the 22RF is cheaper.

I really do not see a need for two centre fire 22s and the FEO may also look at it that way too. My view it is best to go for the 223 initially as far as a fox or a muntie is concerned they will not notice the difference if it was a 22-250. Have owned and used both but my centre fire 22 is now a 22 Bench Rest ...2BR for short.  The trick is if you are on your first application then get yourself on license, then you can always upgrade with a lot less trouble latter.   The 308 Win is as good an all round sporting /target calibre as you can get and target shells are relatively cheap.  Easy to reload for hunting purposes.

27 minutes ago, Jay1234 said:

Cheers for all the advice and insight/ ideas, it's all much appreciated 

mans also, what calibers would you suggest I add to that list to let him say no to? 

None show good reasons for the ones you want and call that it 

don’t pre empt a knock back 

youve got best part of £5....£10 k shopping list as it is 

your more likely to get a disapproving view if you don’t fill your slots in a reasonable time 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

None show good reasons for the ones you want and call that it 

don’t pre empt a knock back 

youve got best part of £5....£10 k shopping list as it is 

your more likely to get a disapproving view if you don’t fill your slots in a reasonable time 

Cheers old farrier, I believe I have a good reason for all 5 of thoes calibers, and I'm not massively worried about the money, had my tax back in April witch covers my shopping list ? so when I get my feet it's just find a good deal on the rifles, scopes, bipod's, mods and all that good jazz 

So can anyone see any possible issues with these reasons as good justification for thoes rifles? 

22 bolt action - mod / target and possibly rabbit with add on night vision 

17 hmr bolt action  - mod / long range rabbits and crows in the day 

.223 bolt action - mod / target and daytime zeroing on land 

.22-50 bolt action - mod / dedicated night fox and long range rabbit 

.308 bolt action - mod / dedicated target rifle and future dear rifle

Edited by Jay1234

223 will do both range and and fox control, not advisable to suggest you would use it for long range rabbit. Although not illegal or unsporting it suggests a hint of shooting at all sorts at long range ( just playing devils advocate). It's your 1st application so you need to be kind of Mr prefect rifle shooter. 

1 minute ago, Dougy said:

223 will do both range and and fox control, not advisable to suggest you would use it for long range rabbit. Although not illegal or unsporting it suggests a hint of shooting at all sorts at long range ( just playing devils advocate). It's your 1st application so you need to be kind of Mr prefect rifle shooter. 

Appreciate the input dougy, when I say long range, I only mean further than I'd be comfortable shooting a .22, I'm not going to start shooting at bunnies 300 yards away ? and yeah your prodably right about the .223, would just be nice to have a target rifle and a fox rifle, but I guess il see what the feo says and could suggest that instead 

Just now, Jay1234 said:

Appreciate the input dougy, when I say long range, I only mean further than I'd be comfortable shooting a .22, I'm not going to start shooting at bunnies 300 yards away ? and yeah your prodably right about the .223, would just be nice to have a target rifle and a fox rifle, but I guess il see what the feo says and could suggest that instead 

You just need to mindful how you come across Jay, talk about having a rifle for long range rabbit "may" ring some alarm bells with some FEOs. You could get a 1-9 twist 22.250 and shoot some 75 grain high BC bullets, they will reach out way further than you would imagine. But I seriously would not go that road, it means reloading as I don't think any factory ammo is produced. And of course it's not a factory standard twist. Just thinking I'd have it reamed improved as well, Mmmm 

1 hour ago, fister said:

I have pretty much everything yet at this moment in time, I’m loving the 17 Hornet and considering the best way to hang onto one. Im using an HW66 JagdMatch but the one I would buy is the ‘Production’ model, a lighter build sporter.

Bliss

Not so easy for the rest of us to obtain rifles! I have a Weihrauch HW60J in 17HMR and love it - I’d go for a Weihrauch in 17 hornet given the chance but might have to sacrifice another rifle to get it as struggling to justify why I might need it when I have the aforementioned plus a .223

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

You just need to mindful how you come across Jay, talk about having a rifle for long range rabbit "may" ring some alarm bells with some FEOs. You could get a 1-9 twist 22.250 and shoot some 75 grain high BC bullets, they will reach out way further than you would imagine. But I seriously would not go that road, it means reloading as I don't think any factory ammo is produced. And of course it's not a factory standard twist. Just thinking I'd have it reamed improved as well, Mmmm 

That's a much appreciated thought dougy, and I wouldn't use the term "long range" with my feo, he is pretty relaxed about most things by all accounts but don't want to give him a reason, if you know what I mean, it's just easier to make notes clear for myself that way, but any other notes or comments would be very useful 

Drop the 22-250 in the setup and change it to .243.    It does everything and more that a 22-250 can do and is also ALL deer legal!  I also rate the .243 as an excellent long range round for fox with the likes of 55G V-Max and it's an absolute pussycat to shoot with that ammo!

There is no reason you shouldn't get all of them if you have good reason, in reality I would be a little surprised if they granted them all.

Good luck, let us know what happens!

Edited by Dekers

My prediction is if you play your cards right . 

Your get the .22 lr 

a .17 hmr . 

Your get your .22CF for club use , but your  have to do your DSC 1 before you get it for land use ( as long as you can satisfy your FEO ) 

i personally don’t think you could get a .243 win for shooting vermin , in fact I will go so far as to say not a hope in hells chance , 

i must point out I’m basing this on if your application was in lincolnshire . 

Cheers for the replies guys

dekers, cheers for the thought and il have a look into the .243, and I don't anticipate them giving me them all, but I still want to try and have a good reason for each of them so it doesn't seem like I'm just asking for random calibers, and il definitely let you guys know what happens

and Stevo the application is in Kent, not many dear round here so il just ask for the .308 with I know the rifle club will support my application for, then if I do want to shoot dear in the future il apply for a variation (if that's what the feo is happier with) 

44 minutes ago, Jay1234 said:

dekers, cheers for the thought and il have a look into the .243, and I don't anticipate them giving me them all, but I still want to try and have a good reason for each of them so it doesn't seem like I'm just asking for random calibers, and il definitely let you guys know what happens

and Stevo the application is in Kent, not many dear round here so il just ask for the .308 with I know the rifle club will support my application for, then if I do want to shoot dear in the future il apply for a variation (if that's what the feo is happier with) 

Jay , like I said I was ONLY basing it on Lincolnshire mate . . I wish you all the best and do sincerely hope you ge5 an outcome to your liking and one that’s s7its your needs mate ??

On 14/08/2018 at 23:43, Jay1234 said:

Hi Jay

I grew up near Dover so know about your lack of deer. I would still ask for deer for your .308 though as a perfectly good reason is that you will be booking stalks. PM me if you want details of reliable, reasonably priced guides, I know of one in Sussex, one in Suffolk and one in Norfolk and I am sure other folk can help with this if you need it.

You do have plenty of crows/rooks so no reason why your .223 should not be for those and daytime foxes, it is a bit less wind affected than the .17hmr 

22-250 I would just keep at dedicated night foxes as suggested previously for good reason