Light & durable

getthegat

In an ever growing quest to lighten the weight in my rucksack of decoy gear, I was wondering what PW members reckon are the lightest yet durable deeks? I have 12 shells & 6 Fuds & just because it's an old habit, I always have 1 full bodied flock crow. How do silosock stack up for instance?

Have shot with a friend of mine that has used them ever since they came out and they do work well, he usualy gets very respectable bags if there is pigeon about.

I have always used a shell decoy set initially and add/replace with real as I feel needed or not, but clocking onto three score and ten years I have recently bought some silosocks in view of the weight saving and what I have seen with their results.

10 hours ago, getthegat said:

Do Silosocks only work when there is a wind? I have two winged silo's which work on a magnet or floater when there is a decent gusting breeze. They are proving tougher than I expected. 

They can act better in a wind movement wise and +2  with the crow

The most decoys I have ever carried up the field is 12 full/shell, most times I only take 6 and two dead birds for the magnet, depending how the birds are reacting I have on occasions just took 2 dead birds for the magnet, I always sit and watch the birds and how they are responding to their mates already on the ground, I try to assess the need before I decide how many to take up the field.

Makes sense and seems like sound advice.

Not that I've got time at the moment to get out, but I have a cut bean field that is getting a few good numbers of birds on it  in the afternoons and that is definitely a case of being in the right place, rather than numbers of deeks on the ground. 

Always seems my recon is lacking, due to work commitments etc. If only one didn't have to make a living. Still retirement is not a million miles off, loads of time then. 

1 hour ago, getthegat said:

Not that I've got time at the moment to get out, but I have a cut bean field that is getting a few good numbers of birds on it  in the afternoons and that is definitely a case of being in the right place, rather than numbers of deeks on the ground. 

Always seems my recon is lacking, due to work commitments etc. If only one didn't have to make a living. Still retirement is not a million miles off, loads of time then. 

Although I have been shooting all my life I was fortunate that I was able to retire at 58, (now 68) for those who only have the weekend to find and shoot birds it is as you say not easy unless you have farmers who give you the nod or you drop on a field early that looks promising with lots of pigeons coming and going.

But one thing I can never get my head around is why so many people take so much gear and a bag of 15-20 decoys.

The one thing about retirement is age, when I was in my 20s 30s I would stop on the field till the sun started to go down hoping for the last pigeon of the day, but as I have got older I find the desire to shoot large bags (especially on stubble) as gone.

3 hours ago, old'un said:

Although I have been shooting all my life I was fortunate that I was able to retire at 58, (now 68) for those who only have the weekend to find and shoot birds it is as you say not easy unless you have farmers who give you the nod or you drop on a field early that looks promising with lots of pigeons coming and going.

But one thing I can never get my head around is why so many people take so much gear and a bag of 15-20 decoys.

The one thing about retirement is age, when I was in my 20s 30s I would stop on the field till the sun started to go down hoping for the last pigeon of the day, but as I have got older I find the desire to shoot large bags (especially on stubble) as gone.

There were some guys shooting down the road on Sunday just gone on some barley stubble, they fired the first shot at about 8;00 am and I could still hear the odd shot at 8;00 in the evening they had been at it all day (I am not that keen anymore) 12 hrs decoying.

4 hours ago, old'un said:

1 hour ago, Wooder said:

There were some guys shooting down the road on Sunday just gone on some barley stubble, they fired the first shot at about 8;00 am and I could still hear the odd shot at 8;00 in the evening they had been at it all day (I am not that keen anymore) 12 hrs decoying.

At some time in our pigeon shooting past when time was limited we would have stayed all day and maybe like the ones who go twelve hours now there time is dictated by family commitments and earning a crust of bread .

We know there are times of the day in pigeon shooting that are not that productive and with having the time if we think the afternoons are the best then we will only go for the afternoon , if it look like rain then we will give it miss , we can also keep an eye on the crops , when they start cutting and so on  , the above shooters haven't yet got the freedom to do that and must make the most of what come there way .

So I can fully understand why they make the most of the opportunities , because at the end of the day , we would have done exactly the same , and no doubt if they are still keen on pigeon shooting when there working life draws to a close they will most probably think like we do now , enjoying it in moderation :good: 

• 1 month later...
On 14/08/2018 at 13:19, getthegat said:

I am retired now and you are so wrong, you will never have enough time there is so much fun stuff to get into.

7 hours ago, bavarianbrit said:

I am retired now and you are so wrong, you will never have enough time there is so much fun stuff to get into.

You better believe it I dont know how i had time to go to work, too much work to do at home and baby sitting 10 grand children takes up loads of time. 

Plus the forever cry of can you just dad!