171 members have voted

1. 1. Should wood pigeons be intitled to a close season

• Yes they should
    • No they should'nt

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you still have not voted, and many havent.

If you are still in favour of an enforced closed season for wood pigeon.

Read this, quoted exactly from the April issue of Sporting Shooter magazine.

The woodpigeon is the most serious bird pest to the farming industry in the UK.

The national population has more than doubled over the past 25 years, largely due to oil seed rape. The woodpigeon in the UK is unique in that it is largely non-migratory, unlike the population on the continent - hence crop damage occurs all the year round. An NFU/BASC nationwide survey showed that: farmers regard the wood pigeon as a major pest throughout the year; crop protection is needed throughout the year; and that shooting is the most effective means of protecting their crops. Farmers would strongly resist any EU attempts to introduce a close season.

The BASC report Woodpigeons, Woodpigeon Shooting and Agriculture presents the most comprehensive and up to date picture yet published of the woodpigeon in relation to both shooting and farming.[/i][/i][/i]

To buy a copy, send a cheque for £5.50 each (incl p&p) made out to BASC. Send to The Research Department, Head Office, Martford Mill, Wrexham LL12 0HL.[/color]

So there you go, the definitive answers lie within

webber :P

My first post on this forum and I've got to agree with Webber. Living north of Inverness there has never been much of a real problem with pigeon but lately, with the warmer winters and the increase in rape crops, the flocks are growing and spreading.

Not only are they a pest that needs to be kept in check, they are really good sport during the closed season for wildfowl and I need the practice, so please, no close season for pigeons from me. :P

I wish I was working for John Batley, I'd be shooting pigeon every day, instead of driving a desk in a bloody mad house.

Seriously, the book is packed full of info, if pigeon shooters took the trouble to read it and understand what is meant, many of the really simple questions on this forum would not crop up as often as they do. I wish I could locate my copy.

So if John Batley is reading this; I have been a disiple for many years, how about taking on an apprentice?

webber :P

All the above points are valid but I think they should be given a close season, even if it was only a couple of months

Ollie

Why don`t you have your own personal voluntary close season? Feel free to make it as long as you like. That way you can feel happy, some pigeons will live longer, and we`ll feel happy that you`re happy and not interfering in what most of the rest of us are doing. Just don`t tell your farmers.

I do have my own closed season on pigeons and I am very happy because during this time I take it into my hands to control the magpie and crow population which is out of hand on my fathers shoot

• 1 month later...
BOTH SEXES INCUBATE THE EGGS, THE MALE, IN 90% OF OBSERVED CASES TAKING OVER FROM THE FEMALE AT AROUND 5.00PM AND DOING THE NIGHTSHIFT. 

In response to GI,s excellent post of the 24th March I have been recording the breeding cycle of 2 pairs of Wood pigeon in Leylandii out side my office window.

Nest A & B

Both pairs nested at roughly the same time and the first eggs were laid in nest A. 12 days ago.

During this period the time of the birds changeover for incubation duties has been remarkably consistant occuring at 5.20 pm and 5.40 pm. each day within 5 or 6 minutes each time.

During the day while the Hen is incubating the Cock bird has never been more than 30 - 40 m from the nest ( in both cases ) and has fed in a pasture on what appears to be clover in spells during the morning and afternoon. The nests never appear to be unattended by either of the birds during the day.

Early evening when the birds have changed over the Hen feeds in the same field and appears to be roosting very close to where the Cock spends most of its time sitting up during the day.

There are plenty of planted fields nearby which have other pigeons feeding in flocks of 15 -30 but these are being completely ignored by both pairs.

About 4 days ago the Cock bird of nest B did not show up but the Hen sat tight through the night and for two days afterwards only leaving the nest for 1/2 hour or so at atime to feed. She is as I write still incubating but there is no sign of the Cock bird as yet.

2 magpies and a solitary crow have been mooching around the last three days and I think they knew where one of the nests was and were just waiting for an opportune moment. They are all now in safe keeping thanks to my .22 axor and accupel.

It is fascinating watching what unfolds and I will keep you posted on the outcome, particularly of the nest B.

Further to my post of the 30th April.

The Cock bird of nest B has not turned up and it looks as though the Hen has abandoned the nest. There are no signs of the Hen bird close by. As they mate for life I can only assume he has been killed somewhere.

In nest A I think the eggs must have hatched as both parents appear to be present close by throughout most of yesterday afternoon and again this morning.

We also have a family of newly hatched Tufted ducks, 9 ducklings in all, which have appeared in the Mill pond ( My office is a converted 18th Century Flour Mill)

They are quite amusing as they dive under the water and scrabble along the bottom leaving a trail of sediment behind them.

FM.

FM,

Just to let you know about my observations of the ash tree at the bottom of my garden.

This is the only tree in the neighbourhood, and I often get woodies laying up there after a hard days eating and avoiding my shotgun.

But last evening I was sat there , an hour before dark, watching the world go by , and two woodies flew into the tree. They then proceeded to eat what appeared to be the new leaves appearing on the tree. After they had gone, on closer inspection, I think they must have been eating the new seeds ? Any comments ?

BTW, Any idea why this ash tree, and it does it every year, has still not shed most of last years seeds, and it has only just starting showing new leaves in the past week ?

Hi, I agree with flightline.

If you wish to increase the population of pigeons then give them a break, but in areas that are full of pigeons then how can farmers expect to survive with 250 hungry pigeons munching in his fields everyday.

I do value every wild creature for what it is, and taking the provider away from a young pigeon in the nest does not get a thought sometimes, but there is a requirment to remove these birds in large numbers sometimes because they can be a really big problem in certain areas of the country.

So yes if you want to close the season on your patch then thats up to you, but I would'nt vote for a legal one.

happy shooting

justin

In answer to the post made by "THE SNIPER"

At this time of year woodpigeons love both Ash and Beech (flower)

On still/windless day's shooting any numbers at this time of year is a problem for us due to this fact.

The birds gorge themselves on this (easy found) food source.

When the wind is blowing a bit the birds can't get to the ends of the branches for these easy pickings so they tend to fly to fields for alternatives.

Food preferances in the order that the birds will choose (given the option) at this time of year...

1. Drillings

2. Beech flower

3. Peas (sprouting)

4. Ash (flower) the long thin sprouting bits at the very end of the branches

5. Rape

Remember: the birds will only fly about 3 or 4 miles maximum to feed. Check these preferances in your area and look for the birds at about 15.30hrs.

It is not uncommon to find all of the above in the crop of one single bird. This then knackers up all of our findings...

Just when we thought we had the job well sorted out...

All the very best...

Gary

• 1 month later...

Further to my post of the spring I thought some of you might like to know what happened to the two pigeon nests adjacent my office.

Nest B was eventually abandoned by the remaining Bird. The eggs were predated probably by one of the many magpies we have nearby.

Nest A was a success the two squabs having now fledged and the parents now raising a second brood. I assume that these are the same birds unless they share nests from time to time.

The birds changeover is the same almost to the minute every day but later in the day than the original brood.

The two squabs form the previous brood hung around for a couple of weeks and were still fed by both parents but now appear to have flown.

4 More pigeons to decoy this year.! :)

thanks fm,for a hammers fan you are quite eloquent :)

my choice over a close season is based on do i want to keep my land or not.if the land owner informs me his crops are getting hit and i dont turn up someone else will.i see no great difference between shooting fox cubs and pigeons that may be rearing young.not all pigeons are feeding squabs.

If a close season was to be used, say July 10th to sept 31st. you could kiss ya stuble and laid wheat shooting good bye. And as for wood pigeons breeding as the same pair for their life span, i dont think so. maybe doves yes. If someone has proof of this let me know. What about mr G I country sports gary what do you recon. I have read articles that say different, but i cant remember where i read them.