Shooting with the Guvnor

This evening I had the pleasure of sharing my hide for a couple of hours shooting with the Gentleman in the picture below.

My Dad, aged 82 started shooting woodies in 1963 and stopped in 2010 aged 74 when diagnosed with a terminal illness. Over the past 8 years he has battled against this with the support from my Mum going from unable to walk or tie his shoe laces to making a 6 hour journey to our home in Yorkshire this weekend. After going out this afternoon to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary with the family, Dad asked could we go out shooting for a couple of hours! Quite unbelievable.

We set up at 6pm and finished at 8pm. Only two woodies killed (1 by my Dad) but it was the most enjoyable session I have had in the hide with the best companion.

Dad declared he never thought he would be shooting again but also said this was his last ever outing. Very proud to be there with him.

ECEF9B98-30AA-4B13-803B-ACD31E3ADAD1.jpeg

I was gonna start a new topic .but in the exact same vien of your thread. I will add my days experience to complement your excellent post and the best of days with family .

I took my 9 year old boy out this afternoon  to have a go at a few pige with the airguns .id  shot friday and sat and had a couple of good bags .so today thought id take the young un for a try in the exact same spot id shot yesterday  .we set up a low hide and in low chairs pointed the airguns out over our deek pattern , set up in a popular wheat field.  The first 3 came in fast and i took them in quick succesion .with my .22 ultra .the last still landing as i shot the second (cant do that with a shotty) .

The 4 th was for my boy .and as the bird filtted about he held his nerve and aim .it settled at 19 yds face on and he put the .177 pellet exactly where i told him to . The pige flipped over and flapped and was done . 

This was his very first ever kill and with a gun id made for him too (which he was the first to christen ) i dont know which was the bigger smile .mine or his .

He took the kill in his stride and was very keen to retrive his bird (dog was at home today ) and inspect his prize  .

1 very proud dad .and 1 hooked little boy ..

I hope he will take me out shooting again when im older for my last go on the pige .

Long may the love of all things out doors bring fathers and sons together .

IMG_20180812_230753.jpg

Edited by Ultrastu

7 hours ago, Hammeronhammeroff said:

This evening I had the pleasure of sharing my hide for a couple of hours shooting with the Gentleman in the picture below.

My Dad, aged 82 started shooting woodies in 1963 and stopped in 2010 aged 74 when diagnosed with a terminal illness. Over the past 8 years he has battled against this with the support from my Mum going from unable to walk or tie his shoe laces to making a 6 hour journey to our home in Yorkshire this weekend. After going out this afternoon to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary with the family, Dad asked could we go out shooting for a couple of hours! Quite unbelievable.

We set up at 6pm and finished at 8pm. Only two woodies killed (1 by my Dad) but it was the most enjoyable session I have had in the hide with the best companion.

Dad declared he never thought he would be shooting again but also said this was his last ever outing. Very proud to be there with him.

Even if it is his last outing out shooting, what a lovely memory for you both to have.

Good on you and your Dad. 

That photo will remain most precious to you.

OB

11 hours ago, Hammeronhammeroff said:

No doubt your dad had shot a lot of pigeons since 1963 , but the one he shot with you is the one he will cherish for the rest of life , quality time at the highest level.

THANKS for posting 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More nice comments thank you.

Yes very chuffed Rob, never thought the day would come that they managed to travel up to us and to share a hide with Dad again was the icing on the cake.  My first memory of being in a hide with him was when We lived in East London and travelled by train to Brentwood in Essex, where we then walked a good couple of miles (Dad with all his kit and me in tow aged about 6).

He, my brother and me have had some great days out over the decoys over the years, but that couple of hours will be the best shooting experience I will ever have

Since we went out he is always texting more advice (always good, always well received) and asking what the woodies are doing in Yorkshire when we talk. As Kenholland said on this post.....you can’t keep a good man down !