Top lever very stiff on opening, can it be eased?

Wingman

Hi All

My son is really struggling with his Webley and Scott 928 which I bought for him a few months ago.  Basically he cant operate the top lever when he's fired both barrels, its extremely stiff and a bit "notchy".  I realise that it will wear (this was a brand new gun) and the action is getting cocked when its opened but I wondered is a gunsmith could do anything to ease it a little? We've probably put a good 1000 rounds through it with no immediate signs of it smoothing out and its a shame as he's shooting really well with it.

So any advice would be gratefully received!

Because it will ease off given time/rounds down it doesn't mean to say that it has to be virtually unuseable until it does. If a few months is indeed just a few months, then back from whence it came under the warranty would be my solution. Never a bad idea anyway as the cause might just be some swarf or whatever from manufacture running around inside causing long term havoc.

Edited by wymberley

It may be any one of several things . More than likely just needs a little polishing in the bites which will "bed in" given but still makes it hard to use and will spoil the lads fun. 

It could also be that the barrel wings are hard down on the action and until this has been checked no work on the bites should be carried out as this will cause future problems .

Take it back - that's not acceptable - do not remove the stock or you will face warranty issues - the top lever should not be appreciably stiffer when the gun has been fired only the force needed to lower the barrels - if it is then the ejectors might be causing the problem? These guns have heavy duty hammer springs I believe - might also need a look at but I would demand a replacement if it's less than 3 months old.

14 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Top lever should have good resistance but be silky smooth.

Take it back.

Yes I fully agree but these things are made in Turkey to a price I doubt W&S has any one to check them before dispatch and I also doubt that many gunshops  have the knowledge or capability to carry  a pre sales check or  after sales service .  A simple problem like this  should be able to be put right by the seller in a couple of hours 

This is in MHO what is wrong with then retail gun trade today and one of the reasons I'm glad to be out of it .

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Put very simply "You get what you pay for!"

Bit harsh TC.

2 hours ago, Gunman said:

Yes I fully agree but these things are made in Turkey to a price I doubt W&S has any one to check them before dispatch and I also doubt that many gunshops  have the knowledge or capability to carry  a pre sales check or  after sales service .  A simple problem like this  should be able to be put right by the seller in a couple of hours 

This is in MHO what is wrong with then retail gun trade today and one of the reasons I'm glad to be out of it .

And now made in Italy l believe.

This model has an action type often referred to as the "Rizzini" action. The lockup uses a wedge type bolt and as the gun closes the bolt slides forward and engages in bights under the bottom barrel. The design is virtually identical to the Miroku/Browning lockup which has been in use for almost 100 years and it's also the type used by Blaser and numerous other Italian, Spanish and Turkish built guns. A sticky top lever is quite common on Miroku built guns and most of the others, although I've never heard of it with Blasers. Every CG I've ever handled, which is loads, as well as my own, have a less than perfectly smooth top lever although not at the annoying thumb crunching level I had with a Miroku.

If it's the wedge binding in the bight - which it usually is - it's about 1000:1 that it won't get better with use. A simple way to check this to take the barrels and forend off, release the top lever by pressing the little releasing jobby in the bottom of the action, then push the lever over. If it moves smoothly against he spring then you know it's the wedge binding.

A good gunsmith can fettle this type of lockup but it involves a fair amount of hand work and therefore can cost a fair amount too. The distributor should step up on this and sort it out for you under warranty.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

A mate has this very problem with his wife’s Franchi. An RFD has suggested that it’s common with budget shotguns built to a price, and may be a lengthy ( RFD speak for ‘not cheap’ ) process to put right. 

Basically translated means ,  I cant be bothered as I have cut my profit margin to the bone to get the sale ..

Or , I cant do it so will have to pay some else that means I'm loosing money .

Or , I cant do it and not prepared to loose more money so I will send it back to the importer.

I was in the repair trade for many years and used to do warrantee work for a large importer/distributor a lot of the warrentee work was the sort of work I did in the back room when I worked in a shop .

Just because a man has an RFD does not mean he knows any thing about guns apart from selling them . 

16 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Basically translated means ,  I cant be bothered as I have cut my profit margin to the bone to get the sale ..

Or , I cant do it so will have to pay some else that means I'm loosing money .

Or , I cant do it and not prepared to loose more money so I will send it back to the importer.

I was in the repair trade for many years and used to do warrantee work for a large importer/distributor a lot of the warrentee work was the sort of work I did in the back room when I worked in a shop .

Just because a man has an RFD does not mean he knows any thing about guns apart from selling them . 

He didn't actually take it back to the RFD he bought it from, but I get your point. 

I have a 2016 Webley 928..works really well, but same problem. Bought second hand so I pulled the stock, cleaned and put light oil down through from the top ( lever) end, let it find its own way down, also greased knuckles , plus Balistol everywhere else. It eased quickly after say 50 rounds, and improves as I carry on. I`ld take a new one back, but think I`ve come across the same comment elsewhere about the 928 ? I`ve seen one with an extended lever which worked fine..like the guys say, new gun, don`t void the warranty, and all the cheaper guns can vary a bit ? I use a Lincoln Premier as a 20 bore, would be very happy with the Lincoln in 28 bore..maybe a trade in ?

I took the gun back to the RFD yesterday and he couldn't of been more helpful.  Checked gun over and agreed that it was unacceptable and offered me a full refund or a replacement.  I walked out of the shop with a brand new Webley 920K with a junior size stock and the action on this one is buttery smooth.  Son was a little worried that the 20 might recoil more than his old 28 bore but I explained that he can use the same 21 gram carts as he used in the 28 bore.  The gun is actually a tad heavier so if anything should be less recoil.

Have to say (and I dont know if am allowed to say who the RFD is but I will anyway!) DB Guns in Thame were absolutely superb excellent helpful service!

6 minutes ago, Wingman said:

I took the gun back to the RFD yesterday and he couldn't of been more helpful.  Checked gun over and agreed that it was unacceptable and offered me a full refund or a replacement.  I walked out of the shop with a brand new Webley 920K with a junior size stock and the action on this one is buttery smooth.  Son was a little worried that the 20 might recoil more than his old 28 bore but I explained that he can use the same 21 gram carts as he used in the 28 bore.  The gun is actually a tad heavier so if anything should be less recoil.

Have to say (and I dont know if am allowed to say who the RFD is but I will anyway!) DB Guns in Thame were absolutely superb excellent helpful service!

hello, when my friend bought a 95 K they could not have been more helpful,

11 minutes ago, Wingman said:

I dont see the harm in name dropping the shop if they gave you good service. Sound like a great result. 

22 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Not at all,  A Rover will get you from A to B but a Rolls Royce will do it with far more comfort and style.

If you buy a cheap gun, don't expect it to be as slick and smooth as a more expensive model.

PW will now as Pauper Watch.

Adopt Brummie accent, "I'm considerable richer than youz are". ?