Heads up Velo South disruption

LeadWasp

Do Sussex, Hants, Surrey residents know about Velo South and it's impact? On 23rd September CSM Active are holding a cycle event for the wants of 15,000 or so fee paying riders (vs. the needs of 400,000 inhabitants). The 100 mile circular route basically travels from Goodwood, Via Petworth, Ifold, Fernhurst, Milland , Rogate, South Harting, Funtington, Chichester and back.  Starting at around 7am all roads in and out of this area (with a very few managed access exceptions) will be closed by traffic order during this period until just before 6pm.    All cars on the route must be off the highway from 00:01 on day including parking.  No vehicles or horses on the route either (presume this include livestock/milking).  Pedestrain and cycle access allowed.

Very poorly publicsed in this area - only found out about it from an anti-poster on part of the route.  Love cycling myself.....but much nicer on your own or with a few pals.  Pelotons suck.

The website https://www.velosouth.com/

The embryonic petition https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-the-velo-south-cycle-event-23rd-september-in-west-sussex

We get it every year with Eroica - 3 days of total chaos over a large area for 3 days  with inconsiderate Cyclepaths in groups on every country lane and no marshals..

Only here they do not close most of the roads

No other pass time would get away with it.

Edited by Yellow Bear
added info

Probably get a lot of hate for this but I can't stand em. Bunch of kinky *****. If you wanna get fit, go get a mountain bike, wear a baggy pair of shorts and get off road with a bit of resistance. I'm sure half them only do if for bragging rights, in the kinky club where the rest of the leotard wearer's hang out. 

Rant over :shoot:

Its on a Sunday- the least disruptive day for commuters and businesses alike, get a life and let others enjoy theirs 

(ps, I’m not even a cyclist ) 

Next you will be writing a letter to the Daily Mail complaining that there were too many Spaniards at your hotel In Benidorm and they should holiday elsewhere — oops, someone has beaten you too it

10 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

There was something by us last year with terrible signage and no diversions in place, took me a couple of hours to travel back and forth over not many miles before giving up and going home

That was the Birmingham velo, returning in spring 2019, despite a massive number of complaints from residents and business owners, but hey lets not get in the way of a money making scheme for Seb Coe and his mates.

2 minutes ago, scobydog said:

That was the Birmingham velo, returning in spring 2019, despite a massive number of complaints from residents and business owners, but hey lets not get in the way of a money making scheme for Seb Coe and his mates.

That may have been the one that came out in the  Worcester direction ........ and there was a LOT of local opposition ........ all of which was casually ignored by the local authorities who closed roads for hours before and after

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

That may have been the one that came out in the  Worcester direction ........ and there was a LOT of local opposition ........ all of which was casually ignored by the local authorities who closed roads for hours before and after

Yes the same one John.

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Its on a Sunday- the least disruptive day for commuters and businesses alike, get a life and let others enjoy theirs 

Incorrect statement I think.  If it is anything like the two that are on annually near us.

The smaller one (whose name escapes me) they hire the village hall as a base for the Sunday, but in doing so close the main parking in the village to everyone else.   Unfortunately this is not enough so every road and parking spot in the village is full of their cars. Drives and leisure business parking totally blocked in many cases with elderly parishioners (it is a rural parish) unable to park within 2k to get to church and businesses lose a large part of their days takings because the "visitors" don't use them. There is a suitable area of parking adjacent to the village hall that would remove the problems but they would need to pay for it  and police it ---so they don't.           They have 3 "routes"  of varying difficulty so everywhere round the village are numerous groups of up to 10 riding down the middle of the road with no intention of giving way in either direction.      This is all done with virtually no "local" notice so residents can end up virtually imprisoned in their homes with no warning.   

The larger (eroica) is a weekend event although the "Ride" is only on the Sunday.  Participants start to arrive on Thursday and again as it is a 3 route option start testing the routes, unofficially, on the Friday.  This means that for 3 days there is disruption, less with parking, but  with large numbers of cyclists all over the area again showing little or no respect for the locals to a degree that if it was the other way round the cycling bodies would be howling in the national press.

Edited by Yellow Bear
spelling

24 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

It’s one day a year!!!!!! I’m sure you can shop on the other 364?

It has nothing to do with shopping and has everything to do with the selfish arrogance of the cyclists. 

Yes they pay for the village hall at normal rate but they "close down" the village and normal life has to be suspended at short notice (they do not publicize it in the village), the pubs lose over half their business on the Sunday (their busiest day), parishioners living outside walking distance cannot get to church, traffic over a 3 mile radius is compromised by a constant procession of the lycra clad all over the road

Yes it is only one Sunday but the cyclists give nothing back, in fact the litter they leave costs to remove.  

There is less upheaval on show day with 20 times plus the visitors and the village gets some benefit from it.

There are many events at the show field over the year but none cause the grief that the cycle event does.

I used to have nothing against cycling or cyclists.  Indeed I have done a little in the past, and have friends who still do some.  In more recent times the abysmal road behaviour of a (quite a large) minority of cyclist has made me rather 'anti' cyclists.

• Failure to observe traffic lights and signs
  • Overtaking on the left
  • Switching in and out of cycle lanes at will

Couple that with vast amounts of money spent on cycle lanes (locally one dual carriageway has been converted into one motorized vehicle lane and one cycle lane for several miles), riding 3 feet out from the kerb and holding up traffic and the large crop of 'I'm always right' cyclecam captures sent to local groups/press ........ and I now have little sympathy with cyclists.

It is a shame, but an 'irresponsible, self righteous and angry' minority have antagonised many motorists - something that I see only increasing over time.

Omg

I can’t wait for the next ‘cats’ thread if your all this worked up over cyclists

Am betting your local funfair/ fete / carnival produced just as much waste or disruption but as you attended it and thought it ‘pleasent’, then that’s ok.

You might only Clay shoot once a year, but the neighbour of the clay shoot might not appreciate- but you do of course, so where is the difference.

We really are becoming an intolerant nation.

Personally I blame it on the Silver Jubilee of 77’, all those street parties and closures have left us all scarred for life

22 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I used to have nothing against cycling or cyclists.  Indeed I have done a little in the past, and have friends who still do some.  In more recent times the abysmal road behaviour of a (quite a large) minority of cyclist has made me rather 'anti' cyclists.

• Failure to observe traffic lights and signs
  • Overtaking on the left
  • Switching in and out of cycle lanes at will

Couple that with vast amounts of money spent on cycle lanes (locally one dual carriageway has been converted into one motorized vehicle lane and one cycle lane for several miles), riding 3 feet out from the kerb and holding up traffic and the large crop of 'I'm always right' cyclecam captures sent to local groups/press ........ and I now have little sympathy with cyclists.

It is a shame, but an 'irresponsible, self righteous and angry' minority have antagonised many motorists - something that I see only increasing over time.

Just like many car drivers- driven the M25 or such like recently?

Lane discipline has been totally forgotten, courtesy-what’s that?

Chuck in a bit of road rage or the ‘im doing 85mph and coming through regardless brigade sitting on your bumper and the lack of indication, then I think it’s fair to say in this game of cycle tennis it’s 40 All 

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Cats on bikes!

God I hate them- ESP the ginger ones ?

17 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Just like many car drivers- driven the M25 or such like recently?

Lane discipline has been totally forgotten, courtesy-what’s that?

Chuck in a bit of road rage or the ‘im doing 85mph and coming through regardless brigade sitting on your bumper and the lack of indication, then I think it’s fair to say in this game of cycle tennis it’s 40 All 

No, it's advantage Car Drivers, big steel box to protect them!