new runabout

misser

afternoon gents & ladies.. need to pick the brains of the pw motoring section regulars please...was looking to get a bit of a runaround for the dog and myself for getting about on the shoot, no real road mileage to be done in it just on the shoot and a few trips down to the local marsh...approx. 1500 to spend or just over if its a belter, was thinking of a jimny or someone mentioned a dihatsu terios...any info comments or pros and cons of such would be much appreciated...thanks...atb….misser  

6 hours ago, misser said:

Thanks adzyvilla...the swb vitars look OK...are they capable off roaders, not heard owt about them or know anyone that's ever had one...thanks...atb...misser

SWB Suzuki Vitaras are very capable off road. Probably not as rugged as a Jimny but a little bit more sophisticated and certainly far better than a Jimny on road for longer journeys. I had one and wouldn't hesitate in getting another.

OB

I have a jimny and it's great. The only down side I have is the space, there only small however I can fit myself, my Mrs, one of my gsd's and a red stag in it. It's got a few modifications to it and the best one is the rear diff locker. Touch wood I'm yet to get stuck and I'm out off road in it on literally a daily basis Averaging 36mpg. Get yourself a decent set of tyres on it and you will get into places that most won't, literally. The flip side to that is they can't pull you out if you do get stuck ??

6 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

SWB Suzuki Vitaras are very capable off road. Probably not as rugged as a Jimny but a little bit more sophisticated and certainly far better than a Jimny on road for longer journeys. I had one and wouldn't hesitate in getting another.

OB

I agree with this, if it's nothing too bad a set of decent tyres and you will be ok with a vitara. If it's pretty lairy the jimny would probably be a better bet with a few bits done to it

19 hours ago, misser said:

Thanks adzyvilla...the swb vitars look OK...are they capable off roaders, not heard owt about them or know anyone that's ever had one...thanks...atb...misser

Hi/lo range, decent ground clearance (although this is easily raised), strong underbelly. As said, decent set of tyres and you should be able to tackle almost anything. Also, mechanical reliability is a given. 

Take out the rear seats and it's pretty spacious too.

thanks gents, will have a look at both the Vitara and jimny...as I say its only a shooting bus so as per your idea adzyvilla of taking the back seats out is a good idea Hendrixs rifle you've done mighty well to get that lot into a jimny.. .?.?….thanks...atb...misser