FAC to 3 shot

adi786

I’m pretty certain that the restricted version I bought was £100 more than the unrestricted, so I’m guessing the difference accounts for the work, recertification and postage to/from proof house. So, if you find one well priced it may be worth looking in to. 

In reply to the OP,  no it’s not simple. The magazine tube has to be both fixed (which most are) then roll crimped to prevent it being an easy remove. 

Once Crimped it then has to be reproofed and correct notification sent to the licensing authorities. I did this many years ago with a Winchester slide action shotgun I inherited from my dad. The process cost more than the gun was worth and more than I eventually got for it when I sold it. 

?

Edited by The Burpster
Typo

Not difficult but, depends on what gun you are starting with, it’s value and it’s worth to you. If you have a friendly gunsmith locally, ask what he will charge for the work,(simple) paperwork (also simple) and also for shipping to and from the proof house plus their costs. Fundamentally, the magazine tube needs to be fixed permanently in place (soldered, brazed, welded or in some cases permanent loc-tite. Then the tube needs to be crimped at a point that will prevent more than 2 rounds of the largest chamberable size cartridge for that gun being inserted (plus the follower) Note, the follower will be permanently captive within the tube between the shell stop and the crimp, so the  gunsmith should hopefully ensure that the follower and tube is spotless and undamaged. The gunsmith will receive the gun back as S2 and can sign it on to your SGC

So you pay your money trust to the good nature of your chosen gunsmith and make your choice

Exactly. Well put. 

After Hungerford (1987) a lot of gunsmiths did many, many mag restrictions. I still have my converted pipe cutter and still do one every now and then. 

Some still come in that have slipped through the net from private imports from the Forces and elsewhere. I am near Newbury and up until a few years ago I still had people with pumps not even proofed, let alone mag restricted coming in where someone from Greenham Common air base sold their gun and went back to the States.  

I even have had a gunshop try to sell a new FAC one but then decided to crimp it as some one wanted it on a S2. 

It's easy if you're willing to wait a few weeks and spend a few pounds.

Edited by Fil
Shpelling