.22 WMR or .17 HMR??

Rossco89

Looking at getting my first rimfire rifle, not wanting to bust the bank on the rifle. 

As above thinking about a .22wmr as quarry will mainly be rabbits, corvids and close range fox. I have been reading up and it seems the .17 is able to deal with the quarry but with a bit more range.

Any opinions or experiences worth sharing? The .22lr is out due to potential for fox.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, stevo said:

.22wmr all day long 

from 30 grain upto 50 grain , also FMJ 

fox out 100 yards with a shot in the bib , bunny’s and crows 200 yards 

+1

If we were talking solely rabbit which we're not I'd  agree with Whitebridges 100%, but as fox is involved, Stevo has it. Back in the day the WMR was the smallest legal calibre for brock and it worked. If they'd been available then, would I have chosen the HMR for that purpose? Not a chance and I won't even (any more) use it for fox either.

55 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

The 22 WMR is a lot less likely to have problems with the ammunition so I would go for that.

David.

If you can find it

I’ve never had a problem with my hmr in 5 years and 1000 rounds I’d guess.

its still like new as I look after it but I don’t like it for fox. I’ve lost the last one and I was annoyed. C/f for fox for me now.

i asked about getting me a wmr at the shop I use and he said he just can’t find ammo for them. I think I’d like one tho

+1 .22wmr. Excellent all round calibre. This debate has come up a lot, and both have their merits. But if you wanna drop a fox tidily at sensible ranges it's the best round for the job of the 2 imo.

Is this your first foray into rifle shooting? I only ask as the ranges either offer will take practice, but I've accounted for plenty of foxes with mini mags in my .22 once Ive done my bit and got them in close. 

52 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

For an accurate account just read Chuck Hawks comparison of the .17 hmr with the .22 wmr, says it all and no bs.

Just a point on this article. It's somewhat dated. It's not too critical because when it gets into the nitty gritty the particular cartridge examples are not used in the calculations/performance figures. But anyone looking for some poke might prefer the WRS 40 and the Federal 50 grain loads which give 2020 and 1650 ft/sec respectively. I've used both. However, although they both remain a fine cartridge, currently the figures are now and have been for a while 1910 and 1530 respectively.

10 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

+1 .22wmr. Excellent all round calibre. This debate has come up a lot, and both have their merits. But if you wanna drop a fox tidily at sensible ranges it's the best round for the job of the 2 imo.

Is this your first foray into rifle shooting? I only ask as the ranges either offer will take practice, but I've accounted for plenty of foxes with mini mags in my .22 once Ive done my bit and got them in close. 

No it’s not, have used .22LR in the past and use  an air rifle frequently. Point taken about gauging range ect. 

The general theme I’m getting is to be able to deal with any fox humanely the WMR has it. I appreciate a lot of people now have dedicated C/F for fox, but that’s not currently an option for me.

Thanks as always for the replies, now to Guntrader!

1 hour ago, Scully said:

.22WMR. My Ruger M77 was a lovely little rifle and combined with the cartridge it was a cracking bit of kit. I didn’t bother with a mod’. 

What was the noise levels like? The .22LR gives off a fair crack without a moderator 

22 minutes ago, Robertt said:

Why not consider a .22 Hornet ?

Probably the best ' little' .22 ever.

It does seem like a decent round, however, being a C/F it’s unlikely to be granted without documented experience with rimfire. That’s the rumour anyway, also may pack to much of a punch for rabbits?

I shared a Hornet, having an occasional use claus on my ticket.

Shot several hundred rabbits with it.

Body shot bunnies were write off but a head shot one could go in the pot.

I suppose this would also apply to the both the WMR's.

Did not use the Hornet much over 150y as I didn't have to.

Very little was missed. Pole axed foxes !

29 minutes ago, Rossco89 said:

No it’s not, have used .22LR in the past and use  an air rifle frequently. Point taken about gauging range ect. 

The general theme I’m getting is to be able to deal with any fox humanely the WMR has it. I appreciate a lot of people now have dedicated C/F for fox, but that’s not currently an option for me.

Thanks as always for the replies, now to Guntrader!

What was the noise levels like? The .22LR gives off a fair crack without a moderator 

More of a prolonged boom rather than a crack, but too noisy without ear protection, which I don’t bother with when out with my .22lr. 

It’s still not as bad in my opinion, as the high velocity crack from the HMR. The WMR will go subsonic long before the HMR, at their comparative extremes, but it wasn’t anything I considered to be a problem as I never shoot outside what I consider to be a calibres capabilities 

The thud downrange from a chest shot with a .22WMR is quite satisfying. A great round. 

As has been mentioned, anything but a head shot on rabbits renders them very messy, if not inedible, with either round. 

Edited by Scully

Just out of interest to other owners of the wmr, what was the make of round that came in 2 case colours? I remember the brass case was all I used for bunnies but also by the same make there was a silver case which was (might sound stupid) like a mini mag (as it's already just that) and added another 20 yards easy for Mr red. Both ballistic tip. 10 years ago I last used them and I just can't remember. Also I believe both same weight head

Edited by strimmer_13
Extra info

22 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Just out of interest to other owners of the wmr, what was the make of round that came in 2 case colours? I remember the brass case was all I used for bunnies but also by the same make there was a silver case which was (might sound stupid) like a mini mag (as it's already just that) and added another 20 yards easy for Mr red. Both ballistic tip. 10 years ago I last used them and I just can't remember. 

008.jpg

Silver and brass cases, 30-40g and different speeds!

Edited by Dekers