.22 WMR or .17 HMR??

Rossco89

1 hour ago, B525 LIGHT said:

I’ve had both and have used a WMR exclusively in the past. Of the two I’d go with the WMR. Hornadys and RWS would be my first choices to try in ammo. Its a shame to .17wsm hasnt been the sucess it could have been as in a better rifle it would suit most amature/ recreational use for most people. 

:good:

Either an Anschutz based on the 22 Hornet configuration or a Weihrauch  in the JM format and my hand would be reaching for my wallet.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wanting to put a fly in the ointment but why is the 22lr out for foxes ive shot over two dozen foxes with the 22lr when ive been out rabbiting over the years all head and neck shots dropped on the spot  Yes the 17hmr /22WMR More velocity with more knock down power and better range  but dont rule out the 22lr it teaches you call the fox in close Now i have a 222 for foxes at longer ranges the nights i go out for foxes on there own but the 22lr for rabbits has done the job on foxes when needed never had a runner[fox]

This is taken from the BASC guidance for FEO for rifles, calibers and land checks :-

a) Rabbits and other small quarry. The .22 Rimfire (R/F) is almost universally used for rabbit shooting. It is powerful enough to ensure a humane kill without damaging the carcase so as to make it unattractive in the market. It is not sufficiently powerful for the humane shooting of foxes unless the range is very short - 50 yards or less - and circumstances allow the bullet to be placed with great precision.

It supports the point raised by a few posters around the .22LR. The general attitude I had picked up on was is wasn’t suitable and would struggle to pass it with the FEO. That may well be the case as different forces have different views on appropriate calibers. 

Thanks for the input, .22LR does give me more choice of rifles.

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 20:36, Gerry78 said:

Not wanting to put a fly in the ointment but why is the 22lr out for foxes ive shot over two dozen foxes with the 22lr when ive been out rabbiting over the years all head and neck shots dropped on the spot  Yes the 17hmr /22WMR More velocity with more knock down power and better range  but dont rule out the 22lr it teaches you call the fox in close Now i have a 222 for foxes at longer ranges the nights i go out for foxes on there own but the 22lr for rabbits has done the job on foxes when needed never had a runner[fox]

The .22lr isn't out for foxes and back before AOLQ was introduced my .22lr had always been conditioned for fox (No silly short range 50 yards or whatever conditions either), even the latest Home Office Guide says it has its moments for fox.   The simple fact is whichever way you want to look at it, it does not have the versatility/range/stopping power of the HMR/WMR so Fox usage with the .22lr is somewhat restricted.

As far as I'm concerned use every caliber within its capabilities, and for me PERSONALLY the .22lr get a lot of use on fox, because I do a lot in peoples gardens where it is commonly the gun of choice and works!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2018 at 22:56, Dekers said:

I can't actually remember any further than 100 yards with the .22lr, and that was a situation where everything came together.    I shoot a lot in peoples back gardens, range and noise make the .22lr and subs a common choice, but the HMR also gets used for this, very rarely the WMR.   

I use my WMR primarily for field/farm/stable/golf course/etc., Fox and Canada goose!

Use any gun/caliber/ammo within its, and your, capabilities.  Apparently Stevo above says his is conditioned for 50 yards max on fox, I fail to see why any number should be attached to your FAC, if they must tell you this, why not list your 243 for XXX distance on deer?

My ticket does NOT say 50 yards , the rim fire is conditioned for Fox , the 50 yard rule is MY rule . 

It was just way I typed it , my bad ? 

Edited by stevo

On 15/08/2018 at 19:06, Rossco89 said:

I’m just going by the guides from the firearms dept 

Jesus!! Why?

.22lr will knock bigger animals than a fox over if you stick it in the right place

That said the WMR is my choice over the HMR

Energy and accuracy over marketing and poor experience