To FAC or not to FAC

spandit

8 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Many thanks. Was not doubting one bit that you had done the work on it. Soooo, it is the make up of the pellet and it's design which dictates penetration. I shoot Barnes TTSX all copper bullets in my 375JDJ and 8x57 and 257 RRI Wildcat and those bullets penetrate much better than 'normal' bullets.  SOOOOOOOOO ????  a)  FAC 177 or 22 b) what pellet ????

Short compact rifle choice ...sensible price ????????????????????????????

It depends on your desired power energy output really. .177 is a good cal up to about 20ft/lb. The problem with the .177 pellet is that in order to generate that kind of energy, the pellet's got to be going at a fair old lick and the lightweight pellets just can't maintain their accuracy at speeds much beyond the 900fps mark (speed of sound's 1100fps). A heavier pellet travelling slower will give better accuracy at higher energy levels, so if you want anything over that 20ft/lb mark, .22 or even .25 would be the cals to look at. 

In terms of pellet, your classic domed shape is still the best, after that it's about whatever suits your gun. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello, while rapids are good air rifles and easy to maintain, if i were going FAC a 22 bsa R10 (28 ft llb)  plus find a S/H air bottle larger the better, if you dont mind something heavier a bsa super ten,like on guntrader somerset ad 20 plus ft llb

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Ok short .light. and compact ..

Well a bullpup is the obvious  answer to that .and the fx wildcat fullfills that in spades. Energy up to 50 fpe in .25 

30 in .22 .

But if you want a rifle not a pup .

Then a bsa ultra is hard to beat in my opinion  .i know i sound like a broken record reccomending bsa s .

But they are well made easy to tune and have loads of backup by aftermarket and bsa themselves ..

My  22 ultra does 30 shots at 23 fpe (13 .4grn falcons ) with a longer scorpion tube fitted. This keeps it the same length as standard ultra and still feels light ..

Accuracy is good out to 70 yds which is plenty for most birds and rabbits .

7 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Ok short .light. and compact ..

Well a bullpup is the obvious  answer to that .and the fx wildcat fullfills that in spades. Energy up to 50 fpe in .25 

30 in .22 .

But if you want a rifle not a pup .

Then a bsa ultra is hard to beat in my opinion  .i know i sound like a broken record reccomending bsa s .

But they are well made easy to tune and have loads of backup by aftermarket and bsa themselves ..

My  22 ultra does 30 shots at 23 fpe (13 .4grn falcons ) with a longer scorpion tube fitted. This keeps it the same length as standard ultra and still feels light ..

Accuracy is good out to 70 yds which is plenty for most birds and rabbits .

you've just reminded me stu, falcon pellets, i recently bought a 3/4 full tin and some Crossman hollow points to try out.

A lot of the falcons were slightly damaged on the skirts, I'm thinking this is because there so thin? Have you found this or am i just unlucky?

could walkers S200 be converted to fac?

The S200 I have could be but all the advice I have had is it is not a good idea.  No , if I go FAC it will bethe real deal. May sell one of my others, doubtful it would be the TX200.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

you've just reminded me stu, falcon pellets, i recently bought a 3/4 full tin and some Crossman hollow points to try out.

A lot of the falcons were slightly damaged on the skirts, I'm thinking this is because there so thin? Have you found this or am i just unlucky?

could walkers S200 be converted to fac?

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

The S200 I have could be but all the advice I have had is it is not a good idea.  No , if I go FAC it will bethe real deal. May sell one of my others, doubtful it would be the TX200.

I was thinking you already have the gun and pump, know its sound, you don't need a large shot count do you? Obviously your going to get less shots because there is more air being used, unless you go down the R10 HW or rapid route, or fancy bullpup

From what I've read you need to be careful not to buy something someone has messed about with, power may be good at 22-30 ft/lbs but the rifle may shoot like a blunderbuss. 

All obvious i know but stu has said before about getting a good scorpion at 12 ft/lbs and convert it, plenty of folk have air arms 410 & 510 in fac but I've no idea of the length of those 

CHOICES CHOICES repeat for ever:good:

The S200 I have is the early two piece wood stock model and shoots very well indeed. It has the little 'screw' on the side of the action which I am told ismlinked to upgrading. As said to mess about might ruin what is at the moment a cracking little rifle.  I shoot almost always from relatively small purpose built cabins or pop ups and a rifle longer than the S200 is a pain to move around, even the TX200 HV with a mod on is on the limit.   The bullpups therefor look inviting.

19 hours ago, Scully said:

The only references I could find regarding poor HW100 .22 performance in FAC go back to 2011. Have found youtube footage of much more recent dates showing it to be a very good and accurate rifle. 

hello, it is a very good air rifle scully and well engineered, but i think with  FAC it pays to have the bottle type for more shots per fill rather than tubed unless you realy only shoot a few pellets each time out,  

49 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, it is a very good air rifle scully and well engineered, but i think with  FAC it pays to have the bottle type for more shots per fill rather than tubed unless you realy only shoot a few pellets each time out,  

Many thanks. ?

56 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Wise words. 

My Wolverine does 40 good shots at 45 ft lbs in .25 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

CHOICES CHOICES repeat for ever:good:

The S200 I have is the early two piece wood stock model and shoots very well indeed. It has the little 'screw' on the side of the action which I am told ismlinked to upgrading. As said to mess about might ruin what is at the moment a cracking little rifle.  I shoot almost always from relatively small purpose built cabins or pop ups and a rifle longer than the S200 is a pain to move around, even the TX200 HV with a mod on is on the limit.   The bullpups therefor look inviting.

Which bullpups take your eye? .walker .

Hah .cheers mice .

The bsa is ok i suppose .its just not what i wanted bsa to make after years of bugging them to do a bull pup .

Its over piced and too heavy  and for 50 quid less you can get an fx wildcat . 

So why would anyone  get the bsa over the fx ?????? .

The project is going slow ive had a lot on recently and just back from hols . 

But got some mounts for it this week so gonna cut  the stock in i few weeks .

IMG_20180816_184447.jpg

This could (but wont ) be converted to fac .In 177 with bis mags (it likes em ) i recon it would do around. 25 shots at 17 fpe .

This would give a flat trajectory and a 40 -45 yd zero .

With exact 8.4 grn it could do 30 shots at 15.5 fpe .

Or 35 shots with falcons at 14.5 fpe .

These dont sound like big numbers in power .but you have to remember they are all around 900 fps.. same as a .25 cal at 45 fpe .so the trajectory would be the same. Its just the impact would be less .

But believe me if you hit a rabbit in the head with a falcon acc at 14 fpe and a .25 cal a 40 fpe .its equally as dead with both 

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Apart from the weight then what don't you like about it?

(If your going to poke a bear etc etc.....:yahoo:)

ha ha i am naughty ??

I saw an air arms bull pup for sale a while ago that looked very smart galahad? I'm googling it now.