To FAC or not to FAC

spandit

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are going FAC then FX impact or FX crown in .25 or .22 probably the best fac guns ever mad so far .

I had my mind on R10, or even a daystate but to many bad comments with daystate then shot a impact and it completely changed my mind . Every time I shoot it a big smile comes on my face .

My .25 impact is running at 47 ft/lbs and about 70 shots from a fill   

The other day managed a 26 mm group at 100 yards in a slight wind 

44 minutes ago, villaman said:

If you are going FAC then FX impact or FX crown in .25 or .22 probably the best fac guns ever mad so far .

I had my mind on R10, or even a daystate but to many bad comments with daystate then shot a impact and it completely changed my mind . Every time I shoot it a big smile comes on my face .

My .25 impact is running at 47 ft/lbs and about 70 shots from a fill   

The other day managed a 26 mm group at 100 yards in a slight wind 

very impressive, both the grouping and shot count, can't imagine my dearest letting me spend a grand on a rifle, but I've yet to read anything bad about FX yet.

Sounds like you want a second hand Impact Walker, if such a thing exists.

Blimey, 3 pages, what is so complicated, have I missed something?

If 12ft lb isn't enough and rimfire too much then consider FAC Air, its that simple, and only you know, every situation is different!

I have 12ft lb, FAC Air and Full cabinets of rimfire, centrefire, shotguns and pistols, I use them all.     "MY" FAC Air gets the least use, probably about the same as my Humane dispatch pistols!

Edited by Dekers

7 hours ago, spandit said:

Diamond Guns in Heathfield will refill a tank for £2. He doesn't recommend going FAC due to the reduced shot count. Tempted by one of those dirt cheap Chinese jobs

Rather you than me " cheap Chinese" aren't words i would want involved with high pressure air ??? 

9 hours ago, spandit said:

Diamond Guns in Heathfield will refill a tank for £2. He doesn't recommend going FAC due to the reduced shot count. Tempted by one of those dirt cheap Chinese jobs

My impact .25 has more shot than my HW100k's and ultra  and my new crown .22 fac will give you something like 120 shots at 30 ft/lbs ,So your RFD is not really telling you the full story 

My RFD doesn't rifle shoot but glad that he has the facility to refill should I need it. Got to within 2 feet of a squirrel today as it poked around the other side of an oak tree - nearly got to wallop it with my quad sticks. There was a couple blatting around in the hedgerow too. Think it might be the way forward.

6 minutes ago, fister said:

No specific tease, just the more expensive FAC aurguns have smoother operation, quieter internals, better magazines and stock etc etc but I nust agree that some are getting insanely expensive although that trend seens to stay below 12ft lbs and appeal to a certain market. To make a sweeping generalisation, an FAC airgun is a tool for a job and not an easily bought item and a tool for a job needs to do more than just impress your mates with a new colour option and it needs to be tough

The jump from £450 to a £1000 is an extra £600, please explain where this money is spent on manufacturing because it ain't rocket science. With CNC machining these days the quality should be pretty consistent.  I have a T/C Encore and my friend has a Blaser but strangely the deer seem to fall over just the same.

16 minutes ago, fister said:

Manufacturing is not just about machining tolerances. Good design is also crucial and manufacturing exonomy can encourange the use of designs that are designed to be made cheaply, not used effectively. I have just done a review that was not very complimentary on exactly this topic but then again of course, we reviewers always lie dont we???

Actually a lot of the problem is shooters target looks ahead of functionality and ergonomics. Stocks made cheaply on poor designs can destroy otherwise capable mechanics of the gun because the stock is the bridge from human to machine

well you've peaked my interest although I'm off to bed. I'm used to making things to very tight tolerances but it still surprises me how often people say there having trouble with new guns these days, not sure if its down to poor manufacturing or poor assembly or because things are being done abroad, is this generally just air guns or are CF rifles affected as well?

To the original question ; It depends on what range you intend to shoot the said squirrels. If you are 'baiting them  into a nut feeder , or even just a stump with food on it , you probably wont need a FAC air rifle up to 30yds . But, you may just like to own one , which is a good enough reason alone. 

They are amazingly tough little critters though , so accurate shot placement , as with all quarry is essential. I own a BSA R10 , @30ft/lbs,  and its a really nice gun  now the regulator has been changed, and a bigger bottle added. Is it my 'go to gun for small quarry up to 40yds ? Err, No, that would be the HW110 .177.     20 - 25 YDS and 'in the boot of the car knock about gun" , BSA Scorpion .22 18g pellets (Mr Squirrels dont like it 'up em' Mr Mainwaring).

Just get something you enjoy owning (it  needs to make you smile) , and will do the job you need doing. 

Good Luck.

I've got the variation form filled out and ready to go for fac air. I'm going to turn up the power on my .177 wolverine.

i know it's .177, I know it'll be worthless when it's converted and I know I'll only gain another ten yards and it'll eat air but I don't care, I'm doing it anyway :)

On 20/08/2018 at 12:49, spandit said:

hello, find your self a bsa super 10 in 22 and get JB to work his magic so you will have the rifle for many good years, or you find a R10 and do same,

40 minutes ago, Whitester said:

I've got the variation form filled out and ready to go for fac air. I'm going to turn up the power on my .177 wolverine.

i know it's .177, I know it'll be worthless when it's converted and I know I'll only gain another ten yards and it'll eat air but I don't care, I'm doing it anyway :)

Well i dont agree with much of that .

A .177 fac running around 16 / 17 fpe. Doesnt use anywhere near as much air as a .22 at 30 fpe .

Given the correct pellet and accuracy .you will be able to extend your zero range by 5 or 10 yrds and your max distance by about 20 yds. 

It maybe worth less money long term ,but who cares anyway .your doing this for you not someone else. 

A .177 fac can be a fantasic tool and opens up shots you cant or probably shouldnt take with a .22 or .25 airgun .

Best of luck .and go for it .

...stu ????  is it possible to upgrade a TX200 ?????   My requirement is not rabbits over 40 to50yrds but making certain I cleanly kill magpies, barn pigeons and tree rats out to 40yrds.

I feel that sometimes I need just that bit extra to do the job properly.  I have a TX200in 177 which I enjoy but if I could up the power to 18-19lbs AND still retain the accuracy it would be very useful.   I have to admit I have always thought that the 12ftlb limit was a bit stupid ..... whoever thought that one up didn't use an air rifle much if at all for vermin shooting.

Certainly if they decide to license air rifles then we should all lobby for the limit to be removed.

Edited by Walker570

I saw an fac air arms TX for sale recently, not sure if it was on here or elsewhere so it can be done.

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

...stu ????  is it possible to upgrade a TX200 ?????   My requirement is not rabbits over 40 to50yrds but making certain I cleanly kill magpies, barn pigeons and tree rats out to 40yrds.

I feel that sometimes I need just that bit extra to do the job properly.  I have a TX200in 177 which I enjoy but if I could up the power to 18-19lbs AND still retain the accuracy it would be very useful.   I have to admit I have always thought that the 12ftlb limit was a bit stupid ..... whoever thought that one up didn't use an air rifle much if at all for vermin shooting.

Certainly if they decide to license air rifles then we should all lobby for the limit to be removed.

Walker which pellet do you shoot in the tx200 now . ? 

To tune a tx up to 19 fpe .while id guess is possible i dont think they were ever designed for such power .also your pellet choice this high would be bismags or jsb heavies .to keep the velocities around 900 fps. 

Then you have to remember that now your you using pellets that like to penetrate and make small narrow holes in stuff . (Not providing a wide shock wave through the quarry .) 

This will be great on squirrel heads .which are tough and ok on side on body pigeons .to the hl area .

But personally .id stick with jsb exact around 8.4 grns .

These will be ideal around 15 /16 fpe .

Much easier for the tx to make .

And penetrate plenty enough but importantly give a wider wound channel .There really isnt a magic pill that you can just aim anywhere in the body on a pige  and drop it (with a .177 or .22 ) 

Untill you get to .25 at 50 fpe .and your getting close .