To FAC or not to FAC

spandit

I am shooting the 10.34 Heavy Diablos at the moment and within range they work very well and very accurate in my TX.  A touch more punch would be handy on occasions and if I put a hole through a tree rats ribs it ain't going far.  In some instances they just do not sit still for more than a few seconds and a rib/body shot is the only way to go ...hop hop hop smack !! if you know what I mean.  I'm using my 17HMR at the moment in those circumstances but the air rifle would be better/quieter close to habitation/cattle/ brood mares etc.  It is just finding that balance between standard 12ftlb and the HMR.  Too risky to use the 22RF.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Body shots on squirrles are pretty unreliable with an airgun and a few extra fpe wont make much difference really .head shots are the way forward and you really dont need a lot of energy to kill nutkin cleanly with the correct shot placement .

As you can see in my recent ,walnuts ,thread. 

To take a squirrel with a reliably with a body shot id say you need a pellet that will dump all its huge energy inside the body with no exit .

Something like a .22 hollow point running around 30 fpe .and keep the distances up to 30 yds .as the pellet will shed energy quickly in flight .

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I am shooting the 10.34 Heavy Diablos at the moment and within range they work very well and very accurate in my TX.  A touch more punch would be handy on occasions and if I put a hole through a tree rats ribs it ain't going far.  In some instances they just do not sit still for more than a few seconds and a rib/body shot is the only way to go ...hop hop hop smack !! if you know what I mean.  I'm using my 17HMR at the moment in those circumstances but the air rifle would be better/quieter close to habitation/cattle/ brood mares etc.  It is just finding that balance between standard 12ftlb and the HMR.  Too risky to use the 22RF.

Have you looked at CB longs for the rf? You will have to re-zero as it’s a loopy load but produces around 30ft/lb and in BA rf incredibly accurate and quite. They aren’t prone to ricocheting like subs as the bullet is smaller. Just a thought before you shell out the best  part of a grand setting up an FAC air. Once I found them didn’t use my FAC air anymore and sold it. ?

Edited by The Burpster

On 25/08/2018 at 13:15, Walker570 said:

...stu ????  is it possible to upgrade a TX200 ?????   My requirement is not rabbits over 40 to50yrds but making certain I cleanly kill magpies, barn pigeons and tree rats out to 40yrds.

The 'export' model was rated for 930fps and i would check a couple of points before adjustment, installed spring will be weaker than fac replacement but also transfer port may be smaller for sub 12ftlbs. Piston seal would be worth replacing and you may need a new spring guide and top hat for the fac spring but other than that, should be easy enough.

i wanted to get rid of my fac air a while back and find a way for my 22lr to replace it. 

sadly i found i needed fac air and could not get rid of it. 

the main point is shooting into trees. simply put: fac air does it better.

best buy a gun already converted to get the best deal. for some reason lots of people end up selling their fac air /many on the shelves.  

5 hours ago, crow said:

i wanted to get rid of my fac air a while back and find a way for my 22lr to replace it. 

sadly i found i needed fac air and could not get rid of it. 

the main point is shooting into trees. simply put: fac air does it better.

best buy a gun already converted to get the best deal. for some reason lots of people end up selling their fac air /many on the shelves.  

your not wrong, i don't know this seller but what a deal this is, I'll be surprised if it hangs around long.

wp_ss_20180903_0002.png.5eabbb25ff81fe910ccbe5fa271b749f.png

On 02/09/2018 at 11:26, The Burpster said:

Have you looked at CB longs for the rf? You will have to re-zero as it’s a loopy load but produces around 30ft/lb and in BA rf incredibly accurate and quite. They aren’t prone to ricocheting like subs as the bullet is smaller. Just a thought before you shell out the best  part of a grand setting up an FAC air. Once I found them didn’t use my FAC air anymore and sold it. ?

Just bought a box of these to give them a go , hopefully be accurate enough and cycle ok for squirrels off a feeder

On 03/09/2018 at 07:48, Dekers said:

There isn't a rule about this, each decision must be taken on its own merits, at 32ft lb and 29g its in the FAC Airgun area.

Exactly right Dekers. If you shooting a projectile upwards irrespective of the power or means of propulsion, if it isn’t safe it isn’t safe......PERIOD.

There seems to be a miss conception that’s it OK with a pellet but no so with a bullet. Simple rule, if you have no back stop then do not take the shot or be damned sure if you miss that the projectile will be going into a safe area in your own property. 

14 hours ago, Mice! said:

your not wrong, i don't know this seller but what a deal this is, I'll be surprised if it hangs around long.

wp_ss_20180903_0002.png.5eabbb25ff81fe910ccbe5fa271b749f.png

i brought an fac rapid about 4 years ago. well built but it was not as accurate as my last fac rifle or the current fac rifle I have.

a little disappointed.

had my hands burn a few times buying second hand.

if i buy another rifle, any, I would have to test it before parting with cash. 

its a LOTTERY as too if that guns a shooter or not. 

if someone brought a rapid that didnt shoot well, its easy to swap the barrel to see if that helps, more costs tho

Edited by crow

On 17/08/2018 at 17:10, villaman said:

If you are going FAC then FX impact or FX crown in .25 or .22 probably the best fac guns ever mad so far .

I had my mind on R10, or even a daystate but to many bad comments with daystate then shot a impact and it completely changed my mind . Every time I shoot it a big smile comes on my face .

My .25 impact is running at 47 ft/lbs and about 70 shots from a fill   

The other day managed a 26 mm group at 100 yards in a slight wind 

Hi Villa

Very interested in your Impacts power & shot count!

I didn’t think a standard Impact would deliver that kind of shot count.

I’m not doubting you one bit,would you elaborate a bit more as to weather it was specially tuned by them?

Barrel length,If regulated,the exhaust valve set up,valve chamber extension,bottle size?

Im lucky to get 50 Full Power shots,only reason im asking is as i own a Later Rapid Mk2 with similar power output,but nowhere near do I get that shot count and mines been heavily modded by Top Rapid Gurus!

Its got a 24 in barrel ported correctly,480 cc Carbon fibre bottle,fill pressure to 250 bar,Raw Quick fill + Reg with Nicks Nano Reg set to 120 bar,Silent pips,hammer modification,Nicks special exhaust valve.

Please dont take this the wrong way! just need to get my head round this.

Thanks

Tich

Edited by maxtich

7 hours ago, maxtich said:

Hi Villa

Very interested in your Impacts power & shot count!

I didn’t think a standard Impact would deliver that kind of shot count.

I’m not doubting you one bit,would you elaborate a bit more as to weather it was specially tuned by them?

Barrel length,If regulated,the exhaust valve set up,valve chamber extension,bottle size?

Im lucky to get 50 Full Power shots,only reason im asking is as i own a Later Rapid Mk2 with similar power output,but nowhere near do I get that shot count and mines been heavily modded by Top Rapid Gurus!

Its got a 24 in barrel ported correctly,480 cc Carbon fibre bottle,fill pressure to 250 bar,Raw Quick fill + Reg with Nicks Nano Reg set to 120 bar,Silent pips,hammer modification,Nicks special exhaust valve.

Please dont take this the wrong way! just need to get my head round this.

Thanks

Tich

Every thing is how it came as standard , all I have done is played with reg which is 145 , maxed out hammer tension  .

Ok shot count has gone to about 70 but ft/lbs has gone from 43 to about 47 but since my last post I have taken it down to 46 about 900 fps . Using AA fields 25.5gr 

yesterday at 163 yards I was hitting a 75mm stone sitting down with the gun on my knee . Like I said , every time I shoot this gun a big smile comes on my face 

Air guns have come a long way since the rapids and FX are leading the race at the moment , especially with different twist barrels , slug barrels and even with the new arrow .

One time I would never had looked at FX but after having one I have ordered FX crown .22 FAC and I have been a HW man  along with one of the best BSA guns THE ultra  as well 

Edited by villaman

1 hour ago, crow said:

i wish some smart factory made 20 grain .22 rounds that were accurate at 70 yards.

then i could sell my fac air😡

If you mean .22Rimfire cartridge then the issue is speed, twist, energy.

There are already light and low energy versions of all sorts of .22Rimfire ammo but they are seldom great in a .22lr barrel due to inherent twist rates.    

No manufacturer is going to make a barrel that handles a 20g .22rimfire because FAC Air exists, and the take up would be minimal, and it would be unsuitable for normal .22lr.

So its certainly possible, but HIGHLY UNLIKELY it will ever happen.