To FAC or not to FAC

spandit

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If your shooting a 16 grn pellet at 18 fpe .then your velocitys are gonna be around 700 fps  which is pretty poor for an fac rifle .limiting range through trajectory ..a sub 12 .177 should have around 800 fps  .so i struggle to see any advantage to a 18 fpe .22 over a sub 12 .177 .

Id try and get it up to 25 ish and use the lighter pellets. Running around 880 fps. 

Will give that a try as I do use 16Gn. Phil C at the Ratworks mentioned that BSAs struggle over 25lb and mine certainly felt like it was ‘trying too hard’. At 18lb it is a much smoother beast and head shots on rabbits at 60y is viable. Won’t a lighter pellet ‘waste air’ though? 

Try the 13.4 grn falcons and 14.3 grn express .

There wont be a massive difference in trajectory but you may get an extra 5 yds on your zero . Go with the falcons first see how they shoot (for accuracy ) 

And Then wind up the power a bit to 23 fpe shouldnt use too much air (the pellet can certainly take it ) even from a 12 inch barrel .this shouldnt stress the gun too much (like 30 fpe can do ) but give you a 40 yd zero and much flatter trajectory. 

I also find they are a great pellet for stopping birds and rabbits in their tracks.