Alnwick

guzzicat

Spent last saturday here,remembered back to my near 4 hour trip from Blaydon up to Holy Island, in the sixties/seventies when the old A1 ran through the arch going north, after Morpeth, & Gosforth, & how the exhaust note of my 650 BSA changed,as we went alongside the  long stone wall, exiting town,& envying my lab bitch  the comfort of the Watsonian sidecar ,arriving after Belford, & just climbing off the bike, letting her out & picking up the AYA Magnum.Shortly after graduated  to a sit up & beg Ford Pop,slower but a (near)heater! Happy Days.

Im from alnwick originally so know it well ,its still quite common for lorries and buses to try and get through the arch and get stuck !!

An old guy i used to know always said before the A697 was put in it would take all morning to get from powburn to wooler (a journey that takes about 10 minutes in a modern car !

7 hours ago, guzzicat said:

Spent last saturday here,remembered back to my near 4 hour trip from Blaydon up to Holy Island, in the sixties/seventies when the old A1 ran through the arch going north, after Morpeth, & Gosforth, & how the exhaust note of my 650 BSA changed,as we went alongside the  long stone wall, exiting town,& envying my lab bitch  the comfort of the Watsonian sidecar ,arriving after Belford, & just climbing off the bike, letting her out & picking up the AYA Magnum.Shortly after graduated  to a sit up & beg Ford Pop,slower but a (near)heater! Happy Days.

I enjoyed your memory, although i have no idea where you mean, 650 BSA, AYA magnum and lab in the sidecar, can almost hear it...cheers..?

17 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Was that the A65 Beeza ?  Did my training on one of those in 1964 at Stafforshire Police HQ. Saved my life many many times did that course.

Only visited that area a couple of times but enjoyed every minute of it.

Earlier than that, Pre/unit A10

19 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Great sit-in chip shop in Alnwick ?️

I went there a couple of years ago and they said "there's no cod or haddock  we've only got pollack" it was lovely. We were stopping in Alnmouth and on the way to Alnwick we only saw 5 cars on the way. You can keep Cornwall its far too busy there.

13 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I went there a couple of years ago and they said "there's no cod or haddock  we've only got pollack" it was lovely. We were stopping in Alnmouth and on the way to Alnwick we only saw 5 cars on the way. You can keep Cornwall its far too busy there.

We stayed in Boulmer,the wife,s parents had a caravan there when she was a child, found the exact spot, was worth it to see her face, learned of the rescue of the survivors  of a french vessel, the "Tadorne"? wrecked there & the locals kind treatment of survivors, we stayed in the house of one of the original rescuers, a nice place with a quiet SAFE bathing beach.