figgy

Been looking at buying our holiday currency and missed out on a good deal early this morning at just shy of 4500 lira fir 500 sterling, it seems to be coming back a bit. Bought some lunch time today at 4050.00 for 500 sterling. Lots of places don't have any and banks are holding onto it.

What the pigeon watch knowledge say?

4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Not been to Turkey for a while , the last time I was there in 2014 it was 2.5 to the £.
What I did find was, you got a better 'rate' just paying for things with your sterling.
They actually preferred it.

Agreed with the above. When I was there, local shop owners offered better rates than the banks. Speaking to one retailer, he said that he saves all the sterling until 'off season' then changes it back to Lira at a better rate.

Sorry above post was a keyboard malfunction

As above, pay in £sterling out there. They offer good rates. If you want to take lira take some and some £sterling. I take both change up the sterling out there if the rate improves or just negotiate in £sterling. I find having both can be useful.

20 minutes ago, figgy said:

Apparently my wife was told  in a travel agents that american express had been onto them saying this morning that sterling and euros are not being accepted now. Whether its true or not i don't know, interesting times for sure.

Sounds a bit hard to believe to be honest, Ill ask some friends who are over there now.

Im waiting for replies, but did a quick search to see if there was any weight to it.
Although Erdogan is blaming the plummeting lira on, foreign  conspiracies, and a possible counter could be to stop accepting foreign currencies, there is absolutely no mention of it anywhere.
The actual results of this tactic would probably make the whole situation worse anyway, and I doubt many of the resorts would support it.
My thinking was  that they preferred our money ,as it was more inflation proof ?

If anything the AMEX card would be the thing to not be accepted, for its high rates, and due to the US/Turkey political climate.

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Wonder how much a nice Rolex etc is out there! Currency in free fall might be some good deals to be had ?‍♂️????

You'd never know if it was real !

Turks are masters at copies.

Apparently the lira is set to bounce back, but I would still be inclined to take sterling, always did in Turkey.

I go second week of September bought £500 worth today at around 8 to the pound as it was getting worse and trying find places to exchange has been hard. Post office had ran out and the next bundle coming in was already sold. Used an online source. 

Pm where you got it online Figgy, 

difficulty is the currency is a bit like a lottery at the minute and in free fall, it may seem like a good deal at the minute but if the currency collapses you could lose your shirt, hence many of the retailers aren’t trading in it as it’s so volatile.