Treating softwood for outside use

Old Boggy

I am in the process of replacing the timber slats of an old cast iron sided garden bench and would like some guidance as to how to protect the wood from the elements. It was given to me by my son some twenty five years ago and the end pieces being cast iron can be easily wire brushed and given a dark green Hammerite finish, so well worth refurbishing and of course has some sentimental value.

Now I know ideally that I should be using hardwood, but the cost of this, assuming that I can even procure it in the dimensions required, would make this economically unviable, I think.

The approximate size of the slats (8 No.) in old money is 4 foot long x 3 inches wide x 1/2 inch thick.

I've looked at pressure treated timber, that say, roof battens are made from, but cannot seem to get anything of the required dimensions even with a bit of planing/sanding that would obviously be required.

The only available option seems to be planed softwood, unless there are other options available.

My question therefore is, what would be the best treatment to extend the life of the wood ? If using softwood, I would prefer to use some form of stain/preservative to darken the wood quite a bit. 

Perhaps there is a hardwood alternative that wouldn't break the bank, but I've yet to find it and am open to suggestions.

I was thinking old fashioned creosote (if still available) but concerned that this might 'leech' out on hot days and not be too popular when sitting on in light coloured clothing !

I would therefore be grateful of any suggestions on any suitable preservatives/stains on the market.

Many thanks for any replies.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

13 minutes ago, manthing said:

Have you thought about using some decent pressure treated decking timber and reducing it down to your required dimensions. 

Not thought of that. Seems like a good idea.

Thanks for that.

OB

If you cut into tanilised timber it’s no longer treated sorry. The colour goes in 3-4 mm but the treatment is about 1-2mm. 

Softwood slats £4 each

sapele slats £6 each

both plus vat unfortunately but the government always want their share.

im in Tamworth Staffordshire if it’s any help.

softwood might last a few years but it’s the shakes, pith, knots that make it weak and the weather.

11 minutes ago, team tractor said:

If you cut into tanilised timber it’s no longer treated sorry. The colour goes in 3-4 mm but the treatment is about 1-2mm. 

Softwood slats £4 each

sapele slats £6 each

both plus vat unfortunately but the government always want their share.

im in Tamworth Staffordshire if it’s any help.

softwood might last a few years but it’s the shakes, pith, knots that make it weak and the weather.

After the research I’ve done into this recently then Team Tractors’ prices are some of the cheapest I could find. I found some locally that was more expensive but I could collect easily. 

14 minutes ago, old'un said:

The timber that was originally on the bench was more than likely Sapele, to replace with the same timber would (go a little thicker if possible) cost around £60-£70 + delivery, 75mm x 12mm x 1.3mtr, 8 off…..have a look here…https://www.timbersource.co.uk/hardwood/west-african-range/west-african-sapele-timber

£6+vat each ;) 

I stock so much sapele as it’s superb timber.

As Scully rightly says, it`s worth spending a bit on it, so I might as well get some decent hardwood and be done with it.

But as I`m in no hurry , I will wait until I come across the right stuff either secondhand or new.

Thanks again for all your replies.

OB

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

As Scully rightly says, it`s worth spending a bit on it, so I might as well get some decent hardwood and be done with it.

But as I`m in no hurry , I will wait until I come across the right stuff either secondhand or new.

Thanks again for all your replies.

OB

Just go see a local joinery company. 

£10 a slat is top side of the money from anyone plus vat of course. 

Please don’t forget the work that goes into making them.

the raw timber is £3 a slat plus cutting , planing , 3mm router after plus wages ;) 

23 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Just go see a local joinery company. 

£10 a slat is top side of the money from anyone plus vat of course. 

Please don’t forget the work that goes into making them.

the raw timber is £3 a slat plus cutting , planing , 3mm router after plus wages ;) 

Yep, its always worth paying good money for a good job. A cabinet maker mate of mine always makes his sash windows from Keruing, they don't move warp, split, contract or expand to any noticeable degree, and are a pleasure to paint. 

6 hours ago, team tractor said:

No guarantee once it’s cut as it’s untreated then .

I painted the ends with some blue sealant stuff and am happy that the wood is better protected than it would be if it was basic prepared softwood with some emulsion paint (wood preservative) slapped on it.

33 minutes ago, greenshank1 said:

Use larch .

Cheaper than hardwoods and will last ten times longer than soft wood.

That’s a fair point and an option I’d overlooked. It will weather nicely too. We have clad many buildings in Larch and it always looks good. 

We are cladding our purpose built permanent hide in larch.

My preference when making gates etc. Is iroko. Its naturally oily and looks great too. Couple of coats of oil and bobs your mother's brother. 

Find a joiners workshop close by and im sure theyd be pleased to help. If your near leicester/ notts id be happy to help.