GOD BLESS AMERICA

jonny705

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i worked in Florida...........what i found there were 2 Florida's.........

1. The coastal florida
  2. the internal florida

the coastal population was a right old mix of money....old folk....country clubs...golf coarses...crime....drugs....poverty...mariners.$million dollar boats....filthy streets ...prisitine areas....posers....tossers....you name it was all there.............

then you moved to the internal florida..........totally different....just really nice hardworking country folk...who didnt eat out of takeways...were quite religous...would give you their last penny...and just soooooooo laid back....and always a smile on their face...........and they spoke with a sort of cornish accent.....using words like "thither and yonder".....

it was a real wrench to leave there.........but the coastline...you can take it and stick it...not for me or the people

Must be the Cornish accent that I felt so at home.

So fair enough you all Love America and say it has had no influence on our Culture and we have imported no ideas from them at all.

If you read my reply to the FIRST response I held my hands up and thought well yeah it is a pretty diverse place – so that guy changed my opinion  and made me see my errors straight away Comparing Florida like Blackpool  – so I have been educated as such .

But other than inspiring me to want to maybe visit it again in the future, the rest of you have basically repeated the first response.

Just like your Love of the diversity America brings why cannot you accept that opinions (however mad you think they might be) can be equally diverse?

Do you not think the world would be pretty boring if everyone thought the same?

Ive never been to the states but have some relatives over there reading this post with interest Its a massive country with plenty of diversity my friends lived in colorado and loved it  People were very friendly And people say Americans are gun nuts but i wouldn't mind having some of there gun laws ?

2 hours ago, jonny705 said:

So fair enough you all Love America and say it has had no influence on our Culture and we have imported no ideas from them at all.

I wouldn't say it hasn't had any influence, I just don't see the UK as being as heavily influenced by the US as you do. Apart from Coke and fast food outlets I can't really think of much else. There are many things I dislike about the UK as I'm sure there would be about the US or indeed is, about many of the countries I've visited. 

But it's hard to generalize because America is not a homogeneous country. This was brought home to me back in the 90s when I worked for a summer as a fly-fishing guide in Colorado. We'd have clients in the boat  from all over the States for up to fourteen hours a day, and it soon became apparent that Americans were easily as diverse as Europeans .Your average Texan was as different from a Californian as a Norwegian would be to an Italian - and the Californian would be likewise totally different from a New Yorker.  Aside from their accents, they had different politics, attitudes, manners,  tastes, even mannerisms.  Of course there was some overlap but geography was a massive factor. And that's why I'm a bit wary when people talk about 'America' or 'Americans' based on experience of one region or state. 

After four months, the only thing I could safely assert about 'Americans' was that, for the most part, I enjoyed their company. But I suppose you could say that about pretty much anywhere....

Edited by Retsdon

• 2 weeks later...

Florida is tilted by heavy hispanic immigration in a similar way to California is so doe"s not represent the rest of the USA. I have worked 8 years over the last 35 years there plus lots of visits to pals I had made and have watched the changes happen just like in london.

Blame Boeing for making world travel easier.

5 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

Florida is tilted by heavy hispanic immigration in a similar way to California is so doe"s not represent the rest of the USA. I have worked 8 years over the last 35 years there plus lots of visits to pals I had made and have watched the changes happen just like in london.

Blame Boeing for making world travel easier.

Freddie Laker more like...................£80 quid to Miami.....1981

On 19/08/2018 at 19:51, pinfireman said:

6 trips there over 10 years, visiting 13 States. I found the people very friendly, polite, helpful......The only guns I saw were at the Clay grounds I visited. In a long life I have travelled most of the world (except S. America), and I can honestly say that I found the USA to be the best, by far!

It does vary far more than in the U.K. (I think). Take Miami and Manhattan. Two of the most unfriendliest places I know. Yet Huston, Naples, San Fran I find people very friendly. 

Not sure what you say about guns though. In Huston everybody seems to be carrying one. 

18 minutes ago, AVB said:

It does vary far more than in the U.K. (I think). Take Miami and Manhattan. Two of the most unfriendliest places I know. Yet Huston, Naples, San Fran I find people very friendly. 

Not sure what you say about guns though. In Huston everybody seems to be carrying one. 

I worked in the US for 12 years and for the last 10 years we have had our own place in Florida and, as previously said, there are two Florida's - the coasts and the internals but there is also another divide of owners and renters.

We own just inland from Clearwater (near Dunedin) which is 99% an owner occupier area and we love it. People are friendly, sincere and care about their community. Clearwater (and many other places - like Orlando with 2m visitors a week) are predominantly rental areas and can be tiresome.

In Miami (and Manhattan) you can feel the tension as you get closer to the centres. The driving attitude changes from totally laid back to 100% aggressive and some people walk three abreast on downtown sidewalks just to provoke a response.

On one occasion whist staying in Miami on business I wanted to go to a restaurant the other side of a hotel car park - and was stopped from walking there by an armed doorman who drove me across in a golf buggy then gave me his cell number to call him on when I needed to return.

Open carry of firearms in Florida is also very common - but we are very comfortable with that. We aren't doing anything wrong!

Edited by Eyefor

14 hours ago, Eyefor said:

I worked in the US for 12 years and for the last 10 years we have had our own place in Florida and, as previously said, there are two Florida's - the coasts and the internals but there is also another divide of owners and renters.

We own just inland from Clearwater (near Dunedin) which is 99% an owner occupier area and we love it. People are friendly, sincere and care about their community. Clearwater (and many other places - like Orlando with 2m visitors a week) are predominantly rental areas and can be tiresome.

In Miami (and Manhattan) you can feel the tension as you get closer to the centres. The driving attitude changes from totally laid back to 100% aggressive and some people walk three abreast on downtown sidewalks just to provoke a response.

On one occasion whist staying in Miami on business I wanted to go to a restaurant the other side of a hotel car park - and was stopped from walking there by an armed doorman who drove me across in a golf buggy then gave me his cell number to call him on when I needed to return.

Open carry of firearms in Florida is also very common - but we are very comfortable with that. We aren't doing anything wrong!

I am jealous, you have a place in a loverly area. We were been looking for somewhere in Florida but the exchange rate has knocked it on the head for the short term.

Lying in bed in Washington DC as I type this. 

As a family we’ve travelled to the US nearly every year for the last 20 years, done east coast, west coast, Hawaii as well as visited and stayed in many small towns (eg - Marcellus near Syracuse). 

Cultures from the USA are much better for the UK than many others our ‘multi cultural’ country has become. Eg - I do believe that we should be as proud of current and ex service men and women as Americans are. 

I really like the fact that Americans appreciate us visiting and spending money, go to many other places in the world, including many in Europe and they simply see us as a cash cow. 

There is both good and bad USA - I've family there so can comment authoritively - but my take is the extremes. Religion for example is for the majority all-consuming. I really don't want to say prayers at breakfast time! Atheists are suffering the same unpleasantness that gays did a decade or so ago.

We went to a pro ice hockey game and the fatties occupied the steps as they couldn't squeeze into the seats. Generally those seated were of normal size but there was a chubby family near us who consumed huge quantities of coke, popcorn and burgers at each of the 3 intervals; their half-time feast of fries and double burgers made me very queezy.

And guns..... My family hunt and only use sporting weapons but after 10 days hunting and other legal activities we had about a dozen guns laying about the triple garage, shells, boxes of cartridges and loose rounds everywhere. It was really unnervingy. We collected 500 cartridges when we went to the supermarket. 

Watching some English sport one very wet day - it's always raining in Oregon - the coverage was constantly interrupted by reports of shootings in Portland. Scary when your grandkids are growing up there.