We Buy Any Car . Con

marsh man

Today I popped into a car breakers near mine to see if they had a spare wheel for my new motor , while I was there I asked the chap for curiosity what he would give me for my old motor which is a 06 , Silva  Vauxhall  Astra Estate , 1400 petrol , mot till March 19 and in clean condition with no outside damage , the only small problem is the omission light goes out and then come back on , after a quick look round he asked what I was hopping to get , I said around £600 , after a bit of humming and harring he said the best he could do was £450 as it stood , I told him I would think about it and let him know Monday .

Now back to the title , just across the road from the breakers there is a We Buy Your Car . Com on the retail park near B + Q , so having nothing to lose I popped him and asked the bloke what he would pay for my motor , without looking round it he asked the normal questions , have it got two keys , spare wheel , how many owners , how long m o t and so on , then on his computer screen the price came up at £260 , then he said any mechanical faults , no it runs really well and I use it every day with no issues , the only problem is the omission light come back on , so after putting in more information the next price to come up was , wait for it , £50.00.

When I knew he was serious I told him I would get more than that for scrap and left him waiting for his next victim , so have any of the P W massive had any similar dealings with the above car dealers ?  

Not quite as bad i was offered 3500 for my 10 plate Eos immaculate condition as i loved it very much, a main dealer offered the same ammount on part ex basd on we buy any cars figure i managed to get them upto 4500 and saw it for sale at the dealership a week later for.......................8995!!! 

26 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Today I popped into a car breakers near mine to see if they had a spare wheel for my new motor , while I was there I asked the chap for curiosity what he would give me for my old motor which is a 06 , Silva  Vauxhall  Astra Estate , 1400 petrol , mot till March 19 and in clean condition with no outside damage , the only small problem is the omission light goes out and then come back on , after a quick look round he asked what I was hopping to get , I said around £600 , after a bit of humming and harring he said the best he could do was £450 as it stood , I told him I would think about it and let him know Monday .

Now back to the title , just across the road from the breakers there is a We Buy Your Car . Com on the retail park near B + Q , so having nothing to lose I popped him and asked the bloke what he would pay for my motor , without looking round it he asked the normal questions , have it got two keys , spare wheel , how many owners , how long m o t and so on , then on his computer screen the price came up at £260 , then he said any mechanical faults , no it runs really well and I use it every day with no issues , the only problem is the omission light come back on , so after putting in more information the next price to come up was , wait for it , £50.00.

When I knew he was serious I told him I would get more than that for scrap and left him waiting for his next victim , so have any of the P W massive had any similar dealings with the above car dealers ?  

Yes they are very generous with their offers.  ?

1 hour ago, krugerandsmith said:

Yes they are very generous with their offers.  ?

When I told him I would get more for scrap he said they charge £5 to dispose of each tyre , they wouldn't had to dispose mine as they were put on brand new for the m o t which was in March and  the car breakers do a good trade with part worn tyres.

3 minutes ago, Harnser said:

They are rip off merchants .your car will make £600 at auction . Run it over to Wyndham and put it in the auction .

harnser

I did think of that, but I don't know if I would do much better than accepting £450 in the hand , rather than risking what it would make at auction with the fees taking out and getting back from Wymondham 

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Do bear in mind that the emissions light being on is now an MOT failure.

But yes, they aren't interested in anything older - they sell stuff on at auction, and anything with any 'problems' or that they think will struggle to sell will be marked down accordingly

Just now, marsh man said:

When I told him I would get more for scrap he said they charge £5 to dispose of each tyre , they wouldn't had to dispose mine as they were put on brand new for the m o t which was in March and  the car breakers do a good trade with part worn tyres.

I did think of that, but I don't know if I would do much better than accepting £450 in the hand , rather than risking what it would make at auction with the fees taking out and getting back from Wymondham 

Run it over to Wyndham and let them have a look at it . They will give you trade price that it should make at auction .if you put a reserve price on it and it don’t sell it will only cost you about 30 quid .

harnser

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

£450 for an 06 Astra Est is a very generous bid, he prolly had a buyer lined up. My initial reaction reading the thread was that the car would book around £200-£300, the reason they offered £50 was because they don't want old cars with dash lights on that may cost £300 to fix.

1 hour ago, AYA117 said:

I have been told that they pay traders book price less 20% and nearly all their cars go straight to auction.

I've heard the same and why would they pay any more, I mean how do people think these guys are gonna make any money otherwise ? 

I have used them a couple of times. Both times got quotes above what the main dealers were offering, they didn’t reduce the price when viewed and transaction was complete in about 30 minutes. 

It very much depends on what you are trying to shift. If it is a relatively new, mainstream car, and you are very honest with any faults (they are very good at spotting minor blemishes) then they are OK. 

Anything old or not mainstream or with faults and you are never going to get a good deal. 

Also you need to factor in the ‘lack of hassle’ factor. No time wasters kicking tyres. 

My son is a mechanic, mot tester and dabbles in car sales. he had a nice 2012 corsa to sell, but no interest from buyers. trade price was £3900. we buy any car offered £4000 over the phone, and when he took it to them for inspection they paid him £4000. he didn't make any money, but didn't lose any either. you can always walk away and not deal with them if you feel they don't offer enough for your pride and joy :)

On 16/08/2018 at 01:18, AVB said:

I have used them a couple of times. Both times got quotes above what the main dealers were offering, they didn’t reduce the price when viewed and transaction was complete in about 30 minutes. 

It very much depends on what you are trying to shift. If it is a relatively new, mainstream car, and you are very honest with any faults (they are very good at spotting minor blemishes) then they are OK. 

Anything old or not mainstream or with faults and you are never going to get a good deal. 

Also you need to factor in the ‘lack of hassle’ factor. No time wasters kicking tyres. 

i think this is right on the button....end of...

If you're not happy with webuyanycar,com then also try Evans Halshaw (evanshalshaw.com I think) who do essentially the same thing.

On the two occasions I wanted to shift an old car, EH came up with an offer that was well above WBAC and when I chose to take one of them in, they didn't quibble or try to knock me down on price. (that was a Ford Galaxy valued at £4600 which I reckoned I would be lucky to move on for much more than that, WBAC offered £3500)

The other is a 2003 Ford Focus with a recurrent problem with cam sensors and fuel injectors - WBAC offered £180 EH offered £300. Actually going to let my mechanic have it for £300 as he is confident he can fix it up.

On 17/08/2018 at 12:37, ShootingEgg said:

Got offered £600 for my mk1 mx5. Ended up getting £2000 for it selling it myself. As said they are purely there to make money and it is massively convenient for some people for a quick bit of cash.. 

How dare they try and make money, u'd think they were running a business or something??

Most garages would do the same with a trade in except there also making a profit on the car ur buying too

I know a few folk that have sold cars to them for various reason and very happy with the deal, 1 van got 1500 quid more than he expected.

There never going to pay top value esp as many cars will be going to auction where other dealers there buy cars to sell on, and they expect to make a profit on the motor they bought at the auction.

If it suits u and u get a better deal with no trade in, all good. Think there better when cars have a bit of value in them

1 minute ago, scotslad said:

How dare they try and make money, u'd think they were running a business or something??

Most garages would do the same with a trade in except there also making a profit on the car ur buying too

I know a few folk that have sold cars to them for various reason and very happy with the deal, 1 van got 1500 quid more than he expected.

There never going to pay top value esp as many cars will be going to auction where other dealers there buy cars to sell on, and they expect to make a profit on the motor they bought at the auction.

If it suits u and u get a better deal with no trade in, all good. Think there better when cars have a bit of value in them

Think you read my post as negative.. Of course they are making money they are a company.. I think people are put off by the fact they offer so little. 

Offering £1400 less than I actually got shows it.