Rubbish Rant

old'un

Rubbish Rant :mad:

I have a number of farms where I have sole say on who shoots on the ground, one such farm I have shot for 30+ years and the famer is a good friend, if someone knocks his door and asks if they can have a go at the pigeons he will always phone me and ask if I intend going on the field/s, if I say yes they are sent on their way.

This weekend gone he had a knock on the door and a couple of young lads wanted to have a go on the wheat stubble, he phoned me and I said yep let them have a go, it seems they had a good day and shot over a 100 pigeons, on visiting the farm today I had a drive down the field they were shooting on….well, they will not be coming on the ground again, they had left their empty cans, crisp bags, sandwich raping and a nice big pile of empty cases, I must have picked up around 150 and there were loads more deep in the brambles I could not reach, its their first time on the ground and if they had played the game I would have let them on again, but not after showing total disrespect for the farmer and the farm, why do they do this, how long does it take to pick your rubbish up.

Rant over  :)

rubbish.jpg

I was once confronted by my farmer about a load of empties that were littered all over the farm.

And to make things worse they were all plastic wads (sheep on the farm).

I did protest very strongly and showed him my cartridges which were fibre wads and made it very clear that the shooters concerned were his own nephew and his mates who had waited until harvest to come and take the best pigeon shooting. Never saw them at any other time of the year and I stayed away from the farm when they were there.

Couple of the helping hands actually backed me on this. Put me off pigeon shooting, and even now I don't bother much because they are always there after harvest and I think that they just shoot the hell out of the place.

Edited by Graham M

I have some cards made up that have my name and phone number on, I leave them with farmers if I get on to the land or not.

Perhaps farmers should start taking a name and number in these instances so that the boys causing issues are known rather than giving us all a bad name

Something I cant abide is seeing empty cartridge cases or any rubbish come to that left laying about where somebody had been shooting .

On a game shooting day we have a large container in the back of the shoot lorry I drive where the guns are asked to put there empties and rubbish in , on the pep talk at the beginning of the day the guns are asked to pick up the empties after each drive .

In the old days when we had the gentry come to shoot game it wasn't the done thing to pick the spent cases up after each drive , the next day it was the house keepers job to take the land rover and go to every peg on every drive with a bucket and pick every case up . good job things have changed for the better ....................... or have they ?

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:59, old'un said:

Rubbish Rant

I have a number of farms where I have sole say on who shoots on the ground, one such farm I have shot for 30+ years and the famer is a good friend, if someone knocks his door and asks if they can have a go at the pigeons he will always phone me and ask if I intend going on the field/s, if I say yes they are sent on their way.

This weekend gone he had a knock on the door and a couple of young lads wanted to have a go on the wheat stubble, he phoned me and I said yep let them have a go, it seems they had a good day and shot over a 100 pigeons, on visiting the farm today I had a drive down the field they were shooting on….well, they will not be coming on the ground again, they had left their empty cans, crisp bags, sandwich raping and a nice big pile of empty cases, I must have picked up around 150 and there were loads more deep in the brambles I could not reach, its their first time on the ground and if they had played the game I would have let them on again, but not after showing total disrespect for the farmer and the farm, why do they do this, how long does it take to pick your rubbish up.

Rant over  

rubbish.jpg

Oh well, they are getting what they deserve - no more shooting on that farm!

15 hours ago, Mice! said:

they'll probably be back next week wondering why they can't shoot again!!

leave only footprints ? 

Well said, I will always make sure the land is the same way it was when I got there minus the occasional animal if I get lucky lol. Hopefully farmer will give them a kick up the **** next time he sees them 

I shoot a fair number of driven days a season and it is rare to see cartridge cases on a stand but if I do I always clean them up. Normally it is only one or two trodden in the ground.

I shoot a 410 and use green coloured cases so very difficult if standing in a field of rape, so I always catch the ejected shell/s and put them in my pocket. The annoying thing is that doing so and keeping the countryside tidy is so easy but youngsters are not taught to respect their country these days. Coming back through the Shopping Centre just down out from Syston, Leics., a few weeks ago I was stationary in traffic and there was a young lad..10 ..11yrs walking behind his mother drinking from a polystyrene cup. He tipped it back and then threw it into the bushes alongside the footpath. I gave him a piece of my mind in no uncertain terms and he looked at me in dismay as did his mother....he just did not know what he had done was wrong and apparently niether did his mother ....what chance ????

Edited by Walker570

Its not just shooting, last year I helped a disabled friend move his canal boat from one marina to another and along the way we saw several examples of where boat owners had  dumped rubbish inappropriately in the bushes along the cut. My friend said you never would have seen it even a few years ago. 

yeah that's very disrespectful why would they make a mess like that they don't deserve a second chance, we had a similar problem with anglers leaving tins from sweetcorn and meat all around the banks so tins are now banned anyone court with tins as there licence revoked

On 20/08/2018 at 19:32, davewh100 said:

yeah that's very disrespectful why would they make a mess like that they don't deserve a second chance, we had a similar problem with anglers leaving tins from sweetcorn and meat all around the banks so tins are now banned anyone court with tins as there licence revoked

I agree it's very disrespectful but surely you can only revoke their permit to fish that you have issued? It's up to the EA to revoke their license. 

13 hours ago, manthing said:

I agree it's very disrespectful but surely you can only revoke their permit to fish that you have issued? It's up to the EA to revoke their license. 

yeah it's the club licence i am referring to, you carnt fish our waters with out an EA licence which is the same with many clubs 

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:59, old'un said:

Rubbish Rant

Rant over  :)

rubbish.jpg

I worked to get a perm for two years decent farmer shot it for 6 months two associates of mine knew I shot it went to seen the farmer using my name got permission     got a call from farmer for a meeting after the chat looks like associates left a ton of **** I tidied up three dog food bags of empties plus pop bottles food rappers etc  and a deck chair  we all got thrown off  now I shoot on my own and do not tell anyone where I go    no longer associate with others but they had a proper building site telling off     its not hard to leave any area tidy   if on a pheasant shoot or rough shooting or wildfowling on the marsh the carry back on debris is always lighter than the way out  some filthy people about just look at your nearest takeaway bins provided **** all over the car park 

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

+1 its all they deserve , I see it regularly on one of my permissions . I always pick my empty shells up , doesn't take long .

Apart from the rubbish left by these shooters the attitude/lack of respect by some shooters may/is possibly be one of the reasons a lot of farmers are reluctant to let new faces on their ground, unfortunately we all get tarred with the same brush and its amazing how quick the word gets around local farmers.   

Guest cookoff013
On 15/08/2018 at 18:19, Graham M said:

I was once confronted by my farmer about a load of empties that were littered all over the farm.

And to make things worse they were all plastic wads (sheep on the farm).

I did protest very strongly and showed him my cartridges which were fibre wads and made it very clear that the shooters concerned were his own nephew and his mates who had waited until harvest to come and take the best pigeon shooting. Never saw them at any other time of the year and I stayed away from the farm when they were there.

Couple of the helping hands actually backed me on this. Put me off pigeon shooting, and even now I don't bother much because they are always there after harvest and I think that they just shoot the hell out of the place.

I had the same thing, accused of littering, my concerns were on deaf ears. Even though the empties were a gauge I didnt own.

The guys brother turned up and had the same gauge and shells. Rc sipe 20.