Stopping drinking

PPP

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Rossco89 said:

Don’t have any in the house is my tupence worth.

I find it easier not to have a beer in the evening if I have to drive to the shop for it,!

Could be a good shout.... however in that case I’ve got some serious drinking to do first... 

3 minutes ago, aga man said:

No, but I am right beside you. I need to do the same.

Hey, let’s keep each other motivated?

Maybe other’s will join?

Start 1st Sept?

Working nights! 

I did a stint of about 5 months working in London Monday to Thursday and normally a day job on the Wednesday and Friday. Cause I had to drive I knew I couldnt even have one with tea, worked a treat slimmed down a fair bit, then I went back to 8-5 and it all went to rat droppings ?

Seriously though the fizzy flavoured waters you get from tesco, 4 for £1.50 or whatever they are made a decent replacement to lager, something about the fizz I think. 

Edited by Farmboy91

2 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Working nights! 

I did a stint of about 5 months working in London Monday to Thursday and normally a day job on the Wednesday and Friday. Cause I had to drive I knew I couldnt even have one with tea, worked a treat slimmed down a fair bit, then I went back to 8-5 and it all went to rat droppings ?

Seriously though the fizzy flavoured waters you get from tesco, 4 for £1.50 or whatever they are made a decent replacement to lager, something about the fizz I think. 

Good tip on the fizziness, thanks...

4 minutes ago, aga man said:

:good:

Start now, or 1st Sept will be the date you announce the new date of 1st Oct, and so on?

I'm a smoker and I've been setting future targets for the past 30+ years, and after a series of heart attacks I'm still puffing away:cry1:

9 minutes ago, KB1 said:

Start now, or 1st Sept will be the date you announce the new date of 1st Oct, and so on?

I'm a smoker and I've been setting future targets for the past 30+ years, and after a series of heart attacks I'm still puffing away:cry1:

Good point, but I’m on my 2nd beer and on holiday tomorrow for 2 weeks, 1st Sept is a good start!

18 minutes ago, aga man said:

:good:

Awesome, maybe others will join in...

Driving every day of the week was my biggest incentive , when I came out of the navy I could hold my drink but drinking cost money and at that time the building trade wasn't one of the highest paid jobs and I had to go out a lot to do building jobs after my days work.

My nights out were becoming less and less and it got to the stage where I was only drinking soft drinks due to driving , after a while alcohol didn't taste the same and I no longer enjoy more than one drink , in fact the only time I go into a pub is on a meeting night at my wild fowling club and one pint of shandy is more than enough .

36 minutes ago, KB1 said:

I'm a smoker and I've been setting future targets for the past 30+ years, and after a series of heart attacks I'm still puffing away

Yes I have basically stopped the drink already but I see what you are saying. I enjoy a drink but I am so out of shape its unreal so I need to take a break. I stopped the fags 6 years ago after 25 years of smoking, so never say never!

I found it easy, 

Stopped once years ago and stayed dry for a year, 

I have never really drank in the house.....may have the odd drink.

Im lucky in a way as I lost the taste for it, now have roughly 3-4 pints a year.

Tend to have the odd spirit now if I have anything at all but must admit I had a good few gins when we went to the Essex Masters this year ?

Had a couple since but as I said I lost the taste for it, would rather have a fizzy or still drink

:shaun:

I’m say here enjoying a nice malt, I’ll drink to that. 

Depends how much you drink, I only have a single whiskey two or three nights a week. Rarely more than you could still drive a car legally. 

Are you all giving up sugar and processed food too. They’re as unhealthy. 

15 minutes ago, shaun4860 said:

Im lucky in a way as I lost the taste for it, now have roughly 3-4 pints a year.

Good effort, some people would call that lunch!

13 minutes ago, figgy said:

I’m say here enjoying a nice malt, I’ll drink to that. 

Depends how much you drink, I only have a single whiskey two or three nights a week. Rarely more than you could still drive a car legally. 

Are you all giving up sugar and processed food too. They’re as unhealthy. 

No but cutting waaayy down on eating that **** too... have 2 stone to shift 

So PPP, answer this how often do you drink? If its every night 3 or 4 cans then cut out the week drinking, sounds a but girly but get up and out for a walk in the evening.

Find a loop you can do maybe 3 miles, this is going to take you around an hour, wear something decent on your feet and watch the time and your waste line come down, you will sleep better and feel better.

it might take you a month before you notice any weight loss but your pants will start feeling better, its more important to loose size than weight a lot of people give up because there weight doesn't shift.

I got back off my hols about 98 kilos but nearly 30% fat ( fancy scales) I'm down to 96 kilos but more importantly 25% fat.

Food is more my vice but allow yourself a drink at the weekend, buy a 4 pack not a 20.

15 yrs without a beer, then my Mrs hands me a cold bottle as I'm bbqing a few weeks ago. 

San miguel 0.0% actually tastes like beer. When I stopped drinking all the non-alcohol beer tasted like rat urine, so I didn't bother, but this stuff isn't bad. 

Re the quitting, just stop,  and be prepared for  year or so of people not understanding why, but remember it's doesn't matter if they understand or not, it's your decision, theirs matters not.

I now don't drink 4 nights a week and only eat once a day and have lost over two stone in under a year.

Best tip I had? Becks Blue.

Looks like lager, tastes like lager and is zero alcohol and zero calories plus I drink fizzy water with cordials.

Good luck. It's worth it.

8 hours ago, tx4cabbie said:

San miguel 0.0% actually tastes like beer. When I stopped drinking all the non-alcohol beer tasted like rat urine, so I didn't bother, but this stuff isn't bad. 

When I quit for a while last year I went through most of them starting with Becks Blue which I used to think was OK. If you try San Miguel or even Carlsberg 0,0 you will realise they have come in leaps and bounds and Becks is now probably one of worst. 

I gave up for 4 months after realising that we drank too much. We shared a bottle of wine every night. Doesn’t sound much, but it is too much. So after stopping for the 4 months, I now no longer have the taste for it. I’ve no interest in drinking anymore. That was nearly 5 years ago. I do now drink occasionally, by that I mean a single beer every few months.