Stopping drinking

PPP

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, yates said:

I might have to get involved with topic as I drink far more than anyone’s mentioned in posts so far. Are the calories the same in the zero alcohol as the ones with 4/4% alcohol content

Becks Blue has zero calories. 

"If you try San Miguel or even Carlsberg 0,0 you will realise they have come in leaps and bounds and Becks is now probably one of worst".

I'll give those a try. Thanks.

Edited by Eyefor

I have a real liking for german wheat beers. Its become a habit to have a couple most nights while cooking/eating. Recently I've been trying the alcohol free versions and they're  not too bad. Ive been weening myself replacing the second pint with the alkoholfrei with the eventual idea of only having one of those about half the nights of a week. Added bonus is that lidl do one for 89p!

One of the major benefits (I think) of cutting down on drinking is the improvement in quality of sleep, not to be underestimated. 

I cut down massively on beer and wine last July, instead went for a few single G&Ts, and/or a drop of whisky instead and the amount (in units) I cut down by was considerable. Also had at least three drink-free days a week. 

That and cutting down on red meat and rich food, and eating more veg, fish, less cheese etc. I lost three stone between last July and Christmas. 

I drink quite a bit of wine in the evening and have decided to cut right down, I could do with losing a stone and a half. I eat fairly healthy but with the empty calories of beer and wine I am not going to lose any weight.

So today is the day, I will start with more fruit and veg and a lot less wine and beer.

edit: My Son just got his A Level results so we will open a bottle of bubbles tonight but I will have a small glass and thats it.

Edited by rimfire4969

9 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

I drink quite a bit of wine in the evening and have decided to cut right down, I could do with losing a stone and a half. I eat fairly healthy but with the empty calories of beer and wine I am not going to lose any weight.

So today is the day, I will start with more fruit and veg and a lot less wine and beer.

edit: My Son just got his A Level results so we will open a bottle of bubbles tonight but I will have a small glass and thats it.

Don't go mad with it is my advice. You don' need to cut down too drastically. There are about 800 calories in a strong bottle of wine so even half a bottle "extra" a night is 2800 calories a week, plus of course all the extra booze you guzzle at weekends. 

The main thing (in my experience) is to keep enjoying the drinking that you still do, just try not to do it too habitually, and as I said, wine and beer are the baddies in my experience. It's amazing how a single G&T can taste very much like a double and can last longer than a beer or a glass of wine with 3-4 times the calories. 

ppp all you need is willpower and the desire to give it up  all the daydreaming in the world or trying some other drink etc is covering over the problem 

dont kid yourself if you want to stop you will if you faff around there is no point all you are doing is kidding yourself 

you can still be sociable with a soft drink in your hand

1 hour ago, nobbyathome said:

ppp all you need is willpower and the desire to give it up  all the daydreaming in the world or trying some other drink etc is covering over the problem 

dont kid yourself if you want to stop you will if you faff around there is no point all you are doing is kidding yourself 

A fair point but I don't want to give up, 3 or 4 nights a week with out a drink is fine by me.

1 hour ago, nobbyathome said:

Sound advice , I also find having a working dog give you all the exercise you need , they have to go out on rough days as well as the nice ones , mind you , it don't help much if you walk him down to the local , have two or three jars and then walk back home :lol:

32 minutes ago, Scully said:

Are we talking about addiction here? It certainly sounds like it if you have to make a concerted effort to stop. 

Probably more like habit, a lot of lads i know think its quite normal having 3 or 4 beers every night, if you can cut it out through the week your having 3-400 calories less every day which adds up to a huge amount.

Earlier in the year on Loose Women they were talking about drinking wine, half a bottle every night, a couple at the weekend well they brought on the calorie equivalent in cheese burgers for the week, then the month i think, it really brought it home to them.

In my last job before retirement entertaining was a large part of the role and I would drink most nights of the week. A change of lifestyle was easier when i gave up work and the social side was removed. Now i like a guiness when i go out or maybe a glass of wine but the interest in drinking, as an activity, has gone.

Hats off to you guys for thinking about it, planning and setting out your intentions is a good starter for ten. Good luck and strong will power. ?

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Probably more like habit, a lot of lads i know think its quite normal having 3 or 4 beers every night, if you can cut it out through the week your having 3-400 calories less every day which adds up to a huge amount.

Earlier in the year on Loose Women they were talking about drinking wine, half a bottle every night, a couple at the weekend well they brought on the calorie equivalent in cheese burgers for the week, then the month i think, it really brought it home to them.

Fair enough. 

Just stop now. You can if you want to.

I tried to stop smoking lots of times, but I didn't want to, so I kept starting again.

When I wanted to stop, I did, never smoked since, six years ago I think.

Dates are a let off, they mean you dont have to stop now.

I stopped drinking for 12 months to loose weight a few years ago. That was my plan, so I did it.

It was easy, I looked forward to my next drink in 12 months time.

If I can do it, anyone  can.

ps I drink again but I'm lighter now and I only drink Friday and Saturday which is better for me.

So stop this second. 

Some good ideas guys thanks!

No, not an addiction, I’m not concerned about my drinking, it’s just a case of breaking the cycle over getting home and cracking open the beers, every single day and the ensuing weight gain through booze calories and additional food calories...

Currently I’m planning on doing three months off to break the cycle of habit and then cut down massively once out of the habit, however I may not decide to come off the wagon.

Must admit my last 3 or 4  new years resolutions was to drink more!! Worst of it is i keep failing.

Must admit never been a house drinker, which i think can be dangerous (big measures too) and easy to fall inot the habit. The thing why i rarely drink at home is u can't drive afterwards.

I lived just along the road form a couple of decent pubs and always meant to go out to them more often just for a few on a random 'school' nite, but always just had other things to do and never got round to it.

Now live out in sticks so really just the odd good binge, must admit i do still love a right good bevy session, but nowadays sadly only a few a year.

I think the trick will be to do something different when u come in from work, either go for a walk, push bike so ur not cracking open the 1st bottle.

Also mibee think of a smaller target rather than 3 months, even 1st week and give urself a reward. But if a special excuse comes up wedding/fitba game/boxing etc no reason u can't have a few as a treat more about breaking the cycle of work boots off, feet up beer open.

Drinking to me is a social event, I can go out and have a pint at the most 2 (apart from PW wk end) and enjoy the company. Do that maybe 4 - 5 nights a week. If you personally think it's a problem then, well at least your sober enough to think about thinking, so it ain't all that bad. 

But if drink is a part of you life then yes you may have a problem that needs addressing. Its nice being sober though, you can actually the remember the name of the bird you wake up with. 

I find it fairly easy to stop drinking altogether for a few months but just as easy to slip back into it.

My current excuse is to soothe an irritating cough my grandson kindly shared with me.

Isn't "stoptober" approaching?

I quit smoking just by deciding to stop 5 years back or more, never once slipped on that one so willpower isn't an issue. Bad habits and enjoying spirits too much is my let down, it wouldn't bother me to never have another beer for the rest of my life.

Going to go totally dry from now on while in Saudi - so basically nothing for 8 months a year. The other 4 months...a different matter altogether!

Incidentally, the addiction question is an interesting one. I'm one of these people who, as a late colleague once put it, 'carry that Celtic gene', in that zero drinks at all is no bother, but after a couple I can sometimes find it hard to call time without a good reason. Or as an old Aberdeenshire smithy once observed to me 'E'n's plenty, and twa's nae enough!'

I suppose that probably does class as a kind of addiction, but it's never bothered me sufficiently to want to quit completely.

PPP, I know exactly what you mean about breaking the cycle. I did it about a year or so back, I'd noticed I'd got into a habit of having a couple of beers most evenings.  Best advice I could give you, and many will take it with a pinch of salt is go see a hypnotist.  I'm a really cynical sod but can't believe how helpful it was, at simply stopping the nagging element you get with any habit.  I didn't want to stop drinking, just knock the pointless mid week at home beers on the head and I was amazed how flexible the 'treatment' was.  I still go out for a pint with my mates or have a beer with the wife on a Saturday night but can happily miss the mid week beers no problem.  I know folks will say 'just stop' and I appreciate that - I packed in smoking that way years ago, but I can honestly say that an hour of your time and fifty quid for a session in a hypnotist chair is honestly well worth the time and money.  As others have said, the benefits are huge - I lost a stone in the first six months with no other diet change, still losing weight now.  Good luck

A lot of talk about calories with booze  that’s not the real problem . The real problem is damage to the liver caused by alcohol. Reading these posts it seems that a lot of people have a serious drink problem . It can be overcome with willpower and determination. Cutting down is not the answer ,giving it up is the way forward . Incidentally I am tee -total and always have been . I found out many years ago that I didn’t like booze and booze didn’t like me .my mates used to tell me it’s an acquired taste you will get used to it ,I never did .

harnser

We should all go to church every Sunday.

Stop drinking.

Stop smoking.

Stop using diesel.

Stop using aerosols.

Stop eating Tuna.

Stop using fosil fuels.

Stop shooting lead into the fields.

Stop using plastic.

Stop eating beef.

Stop eating cheese.

Stop drinking tap water.

Stop drinking water from plastic bottles. 

Stop using certian reloading powder.

Stop using certian paints.

Stop giving kids pop.

Stop stop stop.

Tell you what. 

I'll live my life and try and be as happy as i can. And do what I'm happy doing. 

I abstained ftom sex years ago because tbey saud you would get aids and die. Never took the rubbish advice since. 

Cheers.all I'll have another. 

I started smoking when i was about 15 years old, which became a serious fag addiction of 60 per day. I stopped on April !st 1980 because I wanted to and I have never had one since. Observations which i later realised,

I had lots more money.

I could walk much quicker up hills.

Other people that smoked smell horrible, most folks who give up smoking realise that they pong but don't really understand that the smell you give off from your clothes and hair is just of smoke but the smell from your breath is like **** or worse.

I started drinking when I was 15 and stopped when I was 18 , after a very  nasty overindulgence and made myself extreemly sick. Observations which I later realised,

I had lots more money.

I became very popular as i drove drunks home.

I didn't even like the taste of any kind of booze.

Just spend a night outside the pubs and clubs or A &E and that is enough to keep you away from it forever.

There is a real stigma attached to folk that don't sup on an occasion, god knows why. give me a glass of Tizer anyday of the week...

Cheers from Auntie.

23 hours ago, Jonty said:

PPP, I know exactly what you mean about breaking the cycle. I did it about a year or so back, I'd noticed I'd got into a habit of having a couple of beers most evenings.  Best advice I could give you, and many will take it with a pinch of salt is go see a hypnotist.  I'm a really cynical sod but can't believe how helpful it was, at simply stopping the nagging element you get with any habit.  I didn't want to stop drinking, just knock the pointless mid week at home beers on the head and I was amazed how flexible the 'treatment' was.  I still go out for a pint with my mates or have a beer with the wife on a Saturday night but can happily miss the mid week beers no problem.  I know folks will say 'just stop' and I appreciate that - I packed in smoking that way years ago, but I can honestly say that an hour of your time and fifty quid for a session in a hypnotist chair is honestly well worth the time and money.  As others have said, the benefits are huge - I lost a stone in the first six months with no other diet change, still losing weight now.  Good luck

Thanks, I’ll give this a go. My plan is to do a few months off and then revert as you refer to.