Cracking day for me

7daysinaweek

Today after making some time I managed to get out for a blast with the shotty.

Up to one of me small permissions and onto one of the stubbles , ahh where to go. I sat for about 15 minutes in the car and watched a couple of small sets of birds coming on the wind which was blowing  quite well. Over the years i have seen birds use this path many times but whenever i have set up against this hedge things always dried up. Now, I am not a great shot on pigeons, and would also say I am not  a well experienced pigeon shooter, more of an all rounder as i like to fish, use shotty, air rifle and the little and big rifle. I have shot pigeons for many years but always struggle in the hide and outside the hide as when the birds come I am always subconsciously shuffling me feet changing position, don't get me wrong when i say shuffle i don't mean the ali shuffle but i do need to work on my stance. I virtually always shoot alone with the shotty so am in the hide by myself and have plenty of room.

Anyway back to the post.

I decided to set up against the hedge  and after getting the hide set up i put out 6 decoys and within minutes the first bird came not too high and not too fast, a lovely crosser, missed it, another, missed it. Anyway I seemed to be doing really well at missing them and the first five carts went up into the sky and came back down to earth. The sixth bird came high (high for me)and fast and i caught it out of the corner of me eye, i pulled through it, like a snap shot and down it came and was a fantastic bird for me. I ask myself why can't i do that all the time, what did i do differently, i am sure it is the speed as a lot of the time i miss with the first barrel and speed up quicker with the second to get back on the  bird as it accelarates  away.

The birds then started to come about every 15 minutes in little bunches and in twos and threes, some high which i killed  a couple more of and some very well presented crossers. I think i have said before i much prefer the bird to come in one or two as when they come flitting in a bunch i never know which one too choose and end up faffing up the whole bunch with both barrels fired and invariably not a bird down. I started to get a few so kept adding them to my pattern (haphazard arrangement) well the woodies seemed to like it as they came in all manner of directions, I must of left over fifty birds easy throughout the day that came over my shoulder from behind the hedge and by the time i had brung the gun up and positioned myself with the shuffle i felt they were better left as going away from me . 

After a few hours the wind dropped and changed direction  a little and they started to come really low, they would be quite high up and when they seen the pattern of the birds they would  drop right down very early on and come and  drop down on the outer furthermost edge of the pattern. I had a few like this. I tried to leave a few to see if they would lift a but they rarely did so I called it a day.

The total bag for the day was 34, for 79 carts with 28 picked, i spent an age rooting in the a deep ditch throughout the session as  if i pricked a bird which ended up there i went straight up to get it as i don't have a dog.

When i was tidying everything away the birds were still coming and had been a fantastic day for me, oh yes, I missed a bloomin crow, it came right over the hedge above me and i turned too quickly and it cawed at me and double backed. In all honesty  a lot of the birds would not have been difficult to other accomplished piggie shots but testing for me. Non the less a superb day by my accounts with me old Baikal.

20180815_180358_opt.jpg

20180815_180333_opt.jpg

20180815_180343_opt.jpg

3 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

Hi dont be so hard on your self we all miss at times the most important thing is you were out in the countryside having a good day

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

That is what its all about , enjoying yourself , if you are having a good day and taking on shots which you enjoy when you connect then in my eyes its as good as it gets .

Very good write up as well :good:

Cheers chaps

hopefully be out again next week.

atb

7diaw