Ski Boots & Kit

lord_seagrave

Chaps,

I’m finally taking the plunge (after goodness knows how many years of hit and miss hire kit) and buying some ski boots.

I’ve got narrow feet, so I’m after some Atomic Hawx Ultras (30.5) - I’m a strong and confident skier, so I need them pretty stiff :wub:

This is the best price I’ve seen https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski_boot/atomic/hawx_ultra_120_white_red_black-121351.html?emkfid=EMF-20512322422-k--285136628341-b-s&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3Y-HlK7P3AIVjpztCh0wnwrQEAMYAyAAEgJh2PD_BwE

...but they are in France. I’d still have to get my local Ellis Brigham to do the fitting.

We’ve booked to go to Obergurgl in December. Am I better off keeping my powder(!) dry and trying to buy something whilst I’m there? Having never bought my own kit, I’m not sure how to play the game...

:hmmm:

Any tips from experienced skiers?

LS

Edited by lord_seagrave

I would buy them here, get them fitted  (best thing I ever bought was custom insoles for my boots.)

Wear them all all day over a weekend to see how they fit. 

Even at the end of the season in resort, the reductions (I’ve seen) aren’t worth the hassle, you’re talking about coppers  

Edited by markm

8 hours ago, lord_seagrave said:

Yeah, I thought I might be pushing my luck in resort - especially with my freaky feet.

I’ll give it a bit more thought, but I was certain I could get a bargain in August on last season’s kit :rolleyes:

LS

Pretty certain snow & rock have a sale on at present by the looks of their website.

It might be worth speaking to the guys in Obergurgl and see if they will fit the boots for you when you go out. It's all well and good getting them  here, but u til you've had them on for a few full days skiing you'll not know about any tweaks/adjustments needed.  I know you've skied there before as have I, and the staff at the shop there seem really helpful, it might be an option?

3 hours ago, Jaymo said:

I’m at our place in Frogland soon, if you need anything sent to me there I can then bring back to Blighty for you.

Thanks Jaymo - very decent of you. I’ll weigh up the options.

:good: 

59 minutes ago, Jonty said:

It might be worth speaking to the guys in Obergurgl and see if they will fit the boots for you when you go out. It's all well and good getting them  here, but u til you've had them on for a few full days skiing you'll not know about any tweaks/adjustments needed.  I know you've skied there before as have I, and the staff at the shop there seem really helpful, it might be an option?

It might be - although I was hoping to break them in here in MK.

I’ve still got a bit of time. I’ll talk to the guys in Austria, too :good:

cheers all!

LS

I bought mine in resort (US) and had them tuned various times during the first week to get them exactly right. However my son bought his in the U.K. (snow and rock) and didn’t have any problems. 

Regardless get custom insoles. 

I wouldn't buy ski boot online, you really need to try on lots to find which ones have the best fit, even two of the same size, brand and model can feel different on your feet. Best to go to a good boot fitter and try everything they suggest on. When I bought my last boots I was in the shop for nearly three hours and the experience and time taken by the fitter was well worth the £50 I could have saved by buying online.

6 hours ago, stumpy69 said:

I wouldn't buy ski boot online, you really need to try on lots to find which ones have the best fit, even two of the same size, brand and model can feel different on your feet. Best to go to a good boot fitter and try everything they suggest on. When I bought my last boots I was in the shop for nearly three hours and the experience and time taken by the fitter was well worth the £50 I could have saved by buying online.

That’s a valid point, too. The problem I have is that the correct width/length/flex combo is seldom available or cheap in store (Ellis Brigham have got the new season 110S sitting on the shelf @ £330)

The “saving” isn’t really a saving unless I was going to spend the full price money in the first place :lol: However, factoring in the postage of buying online, and the cost of gettting them fitted, I’m coming round to the idea of just sucking it up and handing over the money.

It boils down to the fact that I hate paying full price for anything :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the help, guys :good:

LS

Nothing worse than uncomfortable ski boots (well there obviously is but when you are on the slopes, miles from anywhere and your feet are crippled it seems like it)!

Dont scrimp on them. Having a few runs down the indoor slope at MK isn’t going to tell you anything which is why I prefer to buy in resort and get the fitter there to tune them as you get miles under them. But I am fussy.