YOUF REABILATAION PROGRAMME

jonny705

Okay so to atone for my sins of slating the USA, and being so negative, I thought I might write something positive to balance it out.

I personally think the closure of youth clubs, and such like over the years leads kids not many options if they would like to avoid getting Pished on street corners - many are not literate enough to enter college even if they inspired to.

Set up a training centre to teach building skills –practical stuff from bricklaying to Electrics.

Less academic kids could learn decorating  Plastering/ Bricklaying – the more technical savvy Heating -Engineers Electrics.

I would sponsor or move the local boxing club/MMA club and build a really decent gym that would be at the centre as well. The sponsored fighter’s would train there and the facilities available for anyone to use to get aggression out if needed.

I would employ people with a spark/passion for teaching and that know the trade well.

Set up a basic literacy /maths class for anyone who wants to learn or get better at basic stuff.

Have a side that buys probate repo houses in local area from auctions.

When you get to a decent standard progress from college to above houses and are taught REAL on site problems that college’s NEVER teach. When completed sell houses- all profit goes back in kitty to re-invest pay wages etc.

If you get caught fighting you are immediately took into ring above and duke it out.

If you get caught dealing bullying etc- you are not binned but have to spend ring time with one of my sponsored fighters for a few rounds.

If you choose not to take your punishment there and leave fine– if you want to come back –step in the ring – you will not escape it.

I would welcome anyone through the doors, no referral needed just drop in –if you like what you see dive in.

If you wanted to learn how to plasterboard a room out – you could at least get a job as a Plasterer’s labourer and make real money in less than a week  –If you wanted to do a full C&G and actually become qualified – that’s down to your dedication and commitment.

Those that could be bothered would indeed I think shine –those who couldn’t would clearly not.

Those with decent attendance  are rewarded with  a night out when we have a sponsored boxing match.

If you could create a positive vibe, I really think students there would probably encourage others to join – any trouble THE RING BECKONS instant karma if you are an idiot.

I would encourage former students to teach if they had a spark – they could take the apprentices on the real houses as such – some could relate better to them I guess.

I really think something like this could work and be relatively self-funding due to flipping the properties.

If I personally won the lottery tomorrow I would set it up myself.

I would love to do something positive like this.

Edited by jonny705

Jonny - atonement not necessary. You had a view that I did not agree with - that's life. It would be boring if we all thought the same.

Your thoughts have merit - money being a problem. Perhaps if Councillors gave up their foreign trips - whilst twinning with such towns as Pomme de Terre - the money might be enough for some of the schemes.

23 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Jonny - atonement not necessary. You had a view that I did not agree with - that's life. It would be boring if we all thought the same.

Your thoughts have merit - money being a problem. Perhaps if Councillors gave up their foreign trips - whilst twinning with such towns as Pomme de Terre - the money might be enough for some of the schemes.

Depending on the size of the area/town Im sure local business could chip in to support such a scheme ?
Maybe  even private individuals, charity days.
At the end of the day, its a positive step for the community, less crime = better for business, residents, even house values.

Anything that puts the self respect and dignity back into people is a step in the right direction.

Edited by Rewulf

When I was at school many centuries ago we were streamed in to four catagories based on ability. A stream, technical stream, general stream and practical stream. The A stream went to university, the technical stream Draughtsman etc, the general stream factory fodder and the practical stream did gardening , double woodwork/ metalwork and ended up starting local businesses which have given them a good income and employed the A stream as accountants etc

14 hours ago, jonny705 said:

If I personally won the lottery tomorrow I would set it up myself. The national lottery provide funding you don`t need to win

I would love to do something positive like this.

Contact your local council and ask for (or if they have) a community capacity builder (CCB). They usually know of funders who may help by giving you start up cash, most of the time they want to "match fund" ie. they will give say £5000 if you can get another funder to stump up £5000. You may have to get a board of governors or similar and become a registered charity to do this, in Scotland it is a SCIO or OSCR, but I have no idea about England but they will have something similar.

Sounds confusing and daunting but it isn`t. There may be other groups or agencies that may want to partner with you as well, check out what they want from the project and what they are willing to do before commiting, but they are usually what funders want you to do, "Partnership working/multi-agency..."

There is a big push for more YP getting into the building trades as the govt wants more housing built, we have had dealings with the Robertson trust, but they are a scottish building giant and funder of charities, have a look around or ask the CCB`s. Funders tend to provide various types of fund, smaller grants/funds are usually about researching or piloting an idea, or larger grants/funds to continue on from a smaller fund, they are highly unlikely to start at a large funding unless you have good outcomes (which are what changes you have or will make) from either something you or someone else has done in the same or similar field.

Good luck, there are many pitfalls and you are likely to get knocked back first time round but this is usually to do with not knowing how to ask for the money, but the CCB s should be able to help you with that

2 hours ago, henry d said:

Contact your local council and ask for (or if they have) a community capacity builder (CCB). They usually know of funders who may help by giving you start up cash, most of the time they want to "match fund" ie. they will give say £5000 if you can get another funder to stump up £5000. You may have to get a board of governors or similar and become a registered charity to do this, in Scotland it is a SCIO or OSCR, but I have no idea about England but they will have something similar.

Sounds confusing and daunting but it isn`t. There may be other groups or agencies that may want to partner with you as well, check out what they want from the project and what they are willing to do before commiting, but they are usually what funders want you to do, "Partnership working/multi-agency..."

There is a big push for more YP getting into the building trades as the govt wants more housing built, we have had dealings with the Robertson trust, but they are a scottish building giant and funder of charities, have a look around or ask the CCB`s. Funders tend to provide various types of fund, smaller grants/funds are usually about researching or piloting an idea, or larger grants/funds to continue on from a smaller fund, they are highly unlikely to start at a large funding unless you have good outcomes (which are what changes you have or will make) from either something you or someone else has done in the same or similar field.

Good luck, there are many pitfalls and you are likely to get knocked back first time round but this is usually to do with not knowing how to ask for the money, but the CCB s should be able to help you with that

Just out of interest did you read the whole post, specifically the bit about having to get in the ring to box as a punishment?

Obviously I don't know  your opinion on this, but from other threads I would say you would be totally against such punishments.

Also I can't see anyone funding such a programme, not in our society today, where physical punishment is no longer acceptable.

18 hours ago, jonny705 said:

If you get caught fighting you are immediately took into ring above and duke it out.

If you get caught dealing bullying etc- you are not binned but have to spend ring time with one of my sponsored fighters for a few rounds.

If you choose not to take your punishment there and leave fine– if you want to come back –step in the ring – you will not escape it.

I'm not saying the programme isn't a good idea. Mearly that I never thought I would see you (Henry) backing it and giving advice on how to help fund it.

Appreciate the replies, have time on my hands at mo as ligament injury (fell off steps).

I did a C&G inspection exam last year it cost me and 9 other students £1100 each.

10 days course with one guy teaching you, I got on well with tutor and after 2nd day helped train some of the other lads on practical side- Asked him how much he was getting a week =£750.

So £11k profit -£1500 - C@G entrance exam fee- not sure how much, but I know it is not loads.-so over 8k profit.

So if you wanted to send kids on some sort of thing normally you would have to raise £11k - reality around £2000 needed that is a big difference is it not? These training centers absolutely shaft you for the cost and profit margin is terrific.

I would try and get retired time served guys to volunteer their services to help train -the logic that if they wanted to be there it would be for all the right reasons. -I personally know a lot of guys that are getting fat and bored :)

I think a lot of companies with a bit of publicity would donate materials -Basic Bricklaying /plastering stuff is cheap ,cable for electrics likely to be the most expensive-but you could source old color’s and sleeve it for peanuts-there is also a LOT of waste in building that could be re-used for training purposes.

Think it could be nearly self-funding after a while because of profit you could make on selling property’s - the bigger the property the more profit you obviously make its not percentage based is it-I have done houses up all my life for other developers and my sister retired at 40 via property development so know the figures as such.

Boxing ring would be the discipline - you could have sliding scale - more crime more time getting boxed up or be banished - I would give you the choice - except your punishment and all move on -slate clean - no reminder of what you did bad last week to remind you that you fail at things.

H&S and do-gooders would not allow this – (boxing side) but really think it would work you would need some sort of punishment-you know some people will try it on. Boxing has always been great at giving violent kids an outlet-plus it would be fair.

This would only work if it used existing ideas for basic foundation but introduce real radical ones as well.

Myself and best mates have all had violent/ drink/ drugs /crime problems in past and I am not naïve about what goes on as such-but we all have come through it.

Edited by jonny705

On 17/08/2018 at 17:19, Newbie to this said:

Just out of interest did you read the whole post, specifically the bit about having to get in the ring to box as a punishment? Yes

Obviously I don't know  your opinion on this, but from other threads I would say you would be totally against such punishments. Yes

Also I can't see anyone funding such a programme, not in our society today, where physical punishment is no longer acceptable. Yes, they won`t

I'm not saying the programme isn't a good idea. Mearly that I never thought I would see you (Henry) backing it and giving advice on how to help fund it.

That is because I started with CCB`s who would have nodded a bit and then guided Jonny in a different direction, I also noted from the outset that it was posted late at night, as many an odd topic on PW is, and made an assumption that Jonny had been either sat up digesting a few ideas or he might have had a sherbert or two and possibly even the two combined.

I gave him advice because at least he has the shred of an idea of how to enrich the life of a young person who comes from a deprived background and give them a better chance at a **Buzzword Alert** sustained postive destination, and it just so happens that I am half way through one of probably several at the moment.

On 17/08/2018 at 21:03, jonny705 said:

Appreciate the replies, have time on my hands at mo as ligament injury (fell off steps).

I did a C&G inspection exam last year it cost me and 9 other students £1100 each.

10 days course with one guy teaching you, I got on well with tutor and after 2nd day helped train some of the other lads on practical side- Asked him how much he was getting a week =£750.

So £11k profit -£1500 - C@G entrance exam fee- not sure how much, but I know it is not loads.-so over 8k profit.

So if you wanted to send kids on some sort of thing normally you would have to raise £11k - reality around £2000 needed that is a big difference is it not? These training centers absolutely shaft you for the cost and profit margin is terrific.

I would try and get retired time served guys to volunteer their services to help train -the logic that if they wanted to be there it would be for all the right reasons. -I personally know a lot of guys that are getting fat and bored :)

I think a lot of companies with a bit of publicity would donate materials -Basic Bricklaying /plastering stuff is cheap ,cable for electrics likely to be the most expensive-but you could source old color’s and sleeve it for peanuts-there is also a LOT of waste in building that could be re-used for training purposes.

Think it could be nearly self-funding after a while because of profit you could make on selling property’s - the bigger the property the more profit you obviously make its not percentage based is it-I have done houses up all my life for other developers and my sister retired at 40 via property development so know the figures as such.

Boxing ring would be the discipline - you could have sliding scale - more crime more time getting boxed up or be banished - I would give you the choice - except your punishment and all move on -slate clean - no reminder of what you did bad last week to remind you that you fail at things.

H&S and do-gooders would not allow this – (boxing side) but really think it would work you would need some sort of punishment-you know some people will try it on. Boxing has always been great at giving violent kids an outlet-plus it would be fair.

This would only work if it used existing ideas for basic foundation but introduce real radical ones as well.

Myself and best mates have all had violent/ drink/ drugs /crime problems in past and I am not naïve about what goes on as such-but we all have come through it.

Also check out Men`s sheds, we had a lot of help from older trades people as they really like to help out young guys who are willing to roll their sleeves up, it also helps these older guys, many of whom are lonely and appreciate having someone to talk to. You may also have noticed that that will also fit into a lot of funders criteria as you will be **BUZZWORD ALERT** alleviating loneliness and social isolation.

9 minutes ago, henry d said:

That is because I started with CCB`s who would have nodded a bit and then guided Jonny in a different direction, I also noted from the outset that it was posted late at night, as many an odd topic on PW is, and made an assumption that Jonny had been either sat up digesting a few ideas or he might have had a sherbert or two and possibly even the two combined.

I gave him advice because at least he has the shred of an idea of how to enrich the life of a young person who comes from a deprived background and give them a better chance at a **Buzzword Alert** sustained postive destination, and it just so happens that I am half way through one of probably several at the moment.

Also check out Men`s sheds, we had a lot of help from older trades people as they really like to help out young guys who are willing to roll their sleeves up, it also helps these older guys, many of whom are lonely and appreciate having someone to talk to. You may also have noticed that that will also fit into a lot of funders criteria as you will be **BUZZWORD ALERT** alleviating loneliness and social isolation.

And then you go and ruin all the good ,sensible things you said.