Fenland Fair - Stow c-u-m Quy

Old Boggy

23 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A lousy expensive 40 bird clay shoot , no pool shoot, a moderately entertaining 2 person flurry, loads of stuff not to buy, an interesting game cooking demonstration and to top it all off £12:50 to park the car and £12:50 for my passenger!

I will take my own advice next time I even consider going to one of these awful set ups.

I am sorry that I recommended it as a good all round country fair and you didn't enjoy the clay shooting.

As usual, there was plenty to do and watch providing that you are interested in  country pursuits and not just clay shooting.

We thoroughly enjoyed our day watching the gun dogs, horses, fly fishing, country crafts, many displays in the rings, meeting up with old friends etc etc. There is more to life than just clay shooting, but if that is your thing, then perhaps just stick to events dedicated to that.

As for considering the entrance fee as exhorbitant for a good day out, perhaps you should delete the 'choke' part of your username . :hmm:

OB

I object to paying £12:50 to park in a field with little or no guidance, no signage and to pay extra for a map. The clay shooting was poor and expensive and was not as advertised. We walked around the site 4 times, watched some ladies riding large horses in one of the rings and the commentator didn't explain any of the voting as to why which horse was awarded the 1st place rosette. The Cookery demonstration was interesting and the beer we had was very nice, If you enjoyed it so be it, but I shall not waste my time or money again. And if you consider me tight I would suggest I regret wasting my money on a poor mish mash of bits and pieces calling itself a country fair.

One thing about these smaller fairs is getting in and out with the minimum delay , we started to go to the Fenland when it was on the old site many years ago and was always something to look forward to , one of the highlights was having a yarn with John Humphreys who always had a bit of time in between his running commentary and puffing on his pipe at the commentary box near the main ring . I went  the year after he died and they put his photo on the cover of the fair guide, even though it was a good day it didn't seem the same , you could tell there was something missing . I continued going for a few more years and now we give it a miss and go to the Sandringham Game and Country Fair which is on the 8 / 9th of September , we now find this fair as good or even better than the Fenland .

This is a strange argument. I and a number of friends find the Fenland Fair the best event of the year. To me it has a real "roots" rural feel and the man who has been putting it together for over thirty years is really "old country" with a deep East Anglian background - it's not a slick company. You get up on Sunday morning, make a brew for the lads and hear a cock crow on the ground. However, if you want to be sold a sauna or go to a fancy clay shoot obviously it's not for you but different folks/different strokes.

In the Wildfowling section today there is a strand about what I (like an american) would call baiting ducks - feeding wild birds into a pond to increase your share of the resource. Not my thing and and I wouldn't call it wildfowling but it's legal, chaps enjoy it, and I try to be tolerant and remember we're all on the same side.

32 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

This is a strange argument. I and a number of friends find the Fenland Fair the best event of the year. To me it has a real "roots" rural feel and the man who has been putting it together for over thirty years is really "old country" with a deep East Anglian background - it's not a slick company. You get up on Sunday morning, make a brew for the lads and hear a cock crow on the ground. However, if you want to be sold a sauna or go to a fancy clay shoot obviously it's not for you but different folks/different strokes.

In the Wildfowling section today there is a strand about what I (like an american) would call baiting ducks - feeding wild birds into a pond to increase your share of the resource. Not my thing and and I wouldn't call it wildfowling but it's legal, chaps enjoy it, and I try to be tolerant and remember we're all on the same side.

As I said we went for a number of years and I liked the laid back approach as you entered the fair , you could get covered in dust watching the old Ramsons belt driven machine sorting out the chaff from the corn , nobody told you to move and you could go as near as you liked , then you could go for a proper cup of tea and a huge ham roll with all the salad stuffed in .

Now it is still good but I find Sandringham as good as Fenland and the journey is only 120 miles , compared with 160 miles to Fenland 

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

One thing about these smaller fairs is getting in and out with the minimum delay , we started to go to the Fenland when it was on the old site many years ago and was always something to look forward to , one of the highlights was having a yarn with John Humphreys who always had a bit of time in between his running commentary and puffing on his pipe at the commentary box near the main ring . I went  the year after he died and they put his photo on the cover of the fair guide, even though it was a good day it didn't seem the same , you could tell there was something missing . I continued going for a few more years and now we give it a miss and go to the Sandringham Game and Country Fair which is on the 8 / 9th of September , we now find this fair as good or even better than the Fenland .

I think Steve Reynolds does a very good job commentating.

Well  I enjoyed  it!

Yes,  there didn't seem to be as  much  thought gone into the  clay shoot  as last year, and it should have been 60  birds at  that price,  but that's not  the only reason I go.

I'd have happily watched the gun dogs for hours had it not been so wet.

TIGHTCHOKE  didn't enjoy it, and he's entitled  to his opinion. It would  be a boring world if  we all liked  the same  things.

So, what is it  that other shows have that makes them better than  this one?