16g Eley VIP Game 28g fibre wads

url)I have a slab of 16g Eley VIP Game 28 gram fibre wadded cartridges, some of which show that part of the crimp closure has been shot away after firing. My first reaction was to check the fired dimension against the chamber of my 16g Lincoln Prestige. All seems OK there, as the beginning of the chamber cone measures 70mm as indicated on the barrels and the fired cartridges measure 67mm.

There does not `appear` to be any adverse performance from the cartridges although I have not checked them on a pattern plate.

About 1/5 th. of the fired cases show this damage. Also, the undamaged cases do not appear to have very even ends.

I use 28 gram Sipe fibre wads predominantly and have not experienced this with those. 

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar but I realise that this may only occur in 16g so probably in the minority.

I apologise if this should have been in the `cartridges` section.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

I use   these cartridges albeit older than these in question with no problem at all and never seen this with these or any other cartridge i have used  in either 20g  16g  or 12g

It would appear there's been a problem in the manufacture of this batch especialy in the crimping

I would be contacting Eley direct with photo s and see what explanation they can come up with

One goes to that little bit more expense buying fibre cartridges as they are more enviromentally friendly  only to find one is shooting bits of plastic into the enviroment

I have had this happen with 410 shells as well from Eley and also RCs.  Some of the RCs almost half the shell case went up the spout.  I had a check on the pattern plate and could find no disruption of the pattern to speak of.  I contacted Just Cartridges where I purchased the RCs from, who said they would notify the makers. Heard nothing.

My 410 reloads do burn the edges of the cases, both fibre and plastic wadding but again it does not appear to effect the performace.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I have had this happen with 410 shells as well from Eley and also RCs.  Some of the RCs almost half the shell case went up the spout.  I had a check on the pattern plate and could find no disruption of the pattern to speak of.  I contacted Just Cartridges where I purchased the RCs from, who said they would notify the makers. Heard nothing.

My 410 reloads do burn the edges of the cases, both fibre and plastic wadding but again it does not appear to effect the performace.

I bought 1000 RC 16's last season and fired around 150 to 200 and no problem at all Very good cartridge I also use RC sipe prestige in the 12g 32grm Still one of the best on the market and again never had any issues with them either

You must've had a bad run aswell  Perhaps the loading machines wear after so many batches and parts need renewing

I shot some 30 gram 5 VIP 16's at rabbits last night and had no visible issues but these were older stock in the previous packaging. I did pick up some 28 gram 7's his week and they have slightly smaller print exactly like the ones pictured so will be interesting to see how they perform this week when thrown at some clays....

An update.

Eley Hawk responded pretty promptly, so it's been agreed that the remaining unfired cartridges from the slab I bought, plus some of the damaged fired ones are being returned to them via the gunshop I bought them from for further examination.

As they are made in Spain, I just wonder how long this examination will take.

Cannot fault their response thus far though.

OB

15 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

An update.

Eley Hawk responded pretty promptly, so it's been agreed that the remaining unfired cartridges from the slab I bought, plus some of the damaged fired ones are being returned to them via the gunshop I bought them from for further examination.

As they are made in Spain, I just wonder how long this examination will take.

Cannot fault their response thus far though.

OB

Are they giving you a refund or another slab of cartridges?

8 hours ago, AYA117 said:

Are they giving you a refund or another slab of cartridges?

I am awaiting the outcome, which hopefully will be a new slab. If so, this will be a result as only four unfired boxes were returned to them.

Also interested to hear what they say caused the damage to the crimps.

I'm returning them to the gunshop today, so probably some time until I hear something.

OB

Ironically, the cartridges worked pretty well against the pigeons over the last few weeks, providing I held the gun straight, so I've really no complaints there. I therefore await their response with interest.

OB

Yes, it is interesting it happens to larger bore cartridges and will be interested to see their response. The burning/destruction of the 410s did not seem to effect the result either but stillnot good.  The RC cases look very similar to the Eley cases and I wonder if it is the make up of the case.  The Lylevale shells I have come out clean as a whistle, almost like new in comparison.

It does make you wonder where the cases are made and in which country. No doubt there are other manufacturers like Eley, who source their cases from Spain, Italy etc. so if there is one faulty batch from one particular case manufacturer, then the same problem might occur with different cartridge retailers. Hence possibly Eley and RC  having the same problem with certain cartridges.

Anyway, I`m out shortly to use some of the Eley VIPs I held back (bit naughty really) and the rest will be RCs in my 16g, if the pigeons co-operate.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

I had no issues with the cases on the 28 gram 7's this week, only shot a couple of boxes but I do find them punchy. First time had shot Hull pro sixteen's 24 gram 7.5's and these were a pleasure to shoot. Also shot a few boxes of my favourites, Rottweil Special 16F 7's (uk 6.5), these really are an awesome cartridge!