New or used hmr

Davetyler

Just a question to you experienced shooters 

Ive put in for my fac (22lr,17hmr and fac air) 

Lucky my dad is being 5he kind fella he is giving me his fac air. I dont have money to burn so i cant afford 2 gleeming new rifles so was looking to buy 2 2nd hand rifles. 

I have about 500 quid to play with. Would you guys buy 1 brand new gun that is in my price range or try and get 2 for the same price. Ive heard my dad on about burnt barrels on 17 so i have to be carefull. 

Any advice given is better than going in blind 

Burnt barrels on HMR  ?
Nope me neither.
Any barrel can be worn by extended use I suppose, but hopefully you buy off someone who is honest about shot count.
A 2nd hand pair of 452/5 in each calibre should be doable, just..depending on whether they come with any decent glass.

Whereabouts are you? I bought a used Annie for £400 and it's an absolute tack driver - bought it from a dealer so I have some come back if it turned it to be a dog - seen one at another dealer for £700!! I would look at CZ's in both calibres - going to be hard to beat them where value is concerned.

I would be surprised if many or even anyone has seen a 17 hmr that had a burnt out barrel. Not saying it is not possible but very unlikely.

email Mc avoys when licence is in your hands telling them you have x amount to spend and can they fix you up with two s/h cz full set ups in .22lr and .17hmr and see what they say.

I burnt my Sako Quad HMR barrel out at about 7000 rounds. I kept it for nearly another 1000 rounds thinking it must be my cleaning routine but regardless of what I tried it never got back to how it should have been till I replaced the barrel. 

Brother had the same issues with his Annie at about the same shot count - again back to normal after having an RFD change his barrel.

37 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I burnt my Sako Quad HMR barrel out at about 7000 rounds. I kept it for nearly another 1000 rounds thinking it must be my cleaning routine but regardless of what I tried it never got back to how it should have been till I replaced the barrel. 

Brother had the same issues with his Annie at about the same shot count - again back to normal after having an RFD change his barrel.

7000 rounds is over £2500 in Ammo lol so you’ve had your money.

I picked up my Brno 2e for £100 and had it cut to 16” for £30 . I must of shot 2-3000 rounds through it and it’s bang on still.

my hmr has had 1000 rounds I guess through it. It’s perfect after 5 years but I clean it. 

Edited by team tractor

Thanks to all with info that you have given. Ive had a look around for used 17 and local shops. I have noticed most places a new cz455 is cheaper than a secondhand 452 or there is not much diff in price. There are some cheap 22lr out there supose il have to see what father christmas brings me. 

Even on the tiny .17HMR barrel its not to difficult to get some light in there and take a look.

I did read a thread some years back (somewhere) where someone wore out HMR barrels before breakfast, but remained skeptical.    Of course barrels can wear out by usage or abuse or both but not too many HMR can be passed that point.                 If you do get a bad one spend a day or two cleaning the barrel PROPERLY and you may well find all is well!

.22lr are even harder to wear out, and again, try the cleaning route first if you think there is a problem

Edited by Dekers

When I shot at the City of Birmingham club we used to have a very good relationship with the then  MD Keith Irwin. 
We had a tour of the Witton plant to see how the ammunition was made and he told us the story of the test range rifles.

The rifles used on the test range used to be replaced once they had shot 1,000,000 rounds (yes 1 million). There was an apparent mix up and the worng rifle was replaced, and the one that SHOULD have been replaced was left on the firing set-up.  It carried on shooting for another million rds before the mix-up was detected when it was due to be replaced for the second time.

It still shot almost as well as the other rifles on the test bed.

A .22rf is virtually impossible to shoot out unless you are scouring the barrel with a stupid abrasive of some sort. 

It's possible on your sort of money

I got a cracking CZ 452 .17 hmr from my local gunsmith for £350 incl mod and scope They knew the gun and assured me it had done nothing

I also got a CZ 452 .22 through the same dealer with scope and mod for sub £200 and it's spot on

Both great guns So it is possible and would recommend CZ

On 17/08/2018 at 15:45, Davetyler said:

Just a question to you experienced shooters 

Ive put in for my fac (22lr,17hmr and fac air) 

Lucky my dad is being 5he kind fella he is giving me his fac air. I dont have money to burn so i cant afford 2 gleeming new rifles so was looking to buy 2 2nd hand rifles. 

I have about 500 quid to play with. Would you guys buy 1 brand new gun that is in my price range or try and get 2 for the same price. Ive heard my dad on about burnt barrels on 17 so i have to be carefull. 

Any advice given is better than going in blind 

wabbitbosher has a nice cz452 full setup for £235 on guns for sale thread