Hearing difficulties with TV

Bobba

I am now at the stage in life of using hearing aids. They are OK up to a point but TV is a problem. For example when actors talk in low tones or the viewer is intended to hear what is being said on a telephone or the recording itself is rather woolly. Important parts of a play / drama can be missed.

I've thought of a possible way of solving the problem but I am not techie gifted to put it in to practice so am seeking help from those PW members who understand these things.

I have a sound bar fed by an optical cable from the TV. My thoughts are of having an optical cable splitter in the tv with one cable feeding the sound bar so Mrs B can continue as normal, the other feeding a Bluetooth transmitter thingy which I can pair with blue tooth headphones for me. If this is practical could someone please link me to the necessary bits and bobs. Budget level kit in the first instance to see if it suits the occasion.

many thanks.

5 minutes ago, Bobba said:

I am now at the stage in life of using hearing aids. They are OK up to a point but TV is a problem. For example when actors talk in low tones or the viewer is intended to hear what is being said on a telephone or the recording itself is rather woolly. Important parts of a play / drama can be missed.

I've thought of a possible way of solving the problem but I am not techie gifted to put it in to practice so am seeking help from those PW members who understand these things.

I have a sound bar fed by an optical cable from the TV. My thoughts are of having an optical cable splitter in the tv with one cable feeding the sound bar so Mrs B can continue as normal, the other feeding a Bluetooth transmitter thingy which I can pair with blue tooth headphones for me. If this is practical could someone please link me to the necessary bits and bobs. Budget level kit in the first instance to see if it suits the occasion.

many thanks.

get a set of ear protectors...replace the cans with a couple of plastic funnells................jobs a gooden .:good:...

Place some surround sound speakers behind or close to where you sit.
Some speakers have a 3mm jack on the back of them, you could plug your headphones into that, or make one up to connect them ?
The bluetooth route sounds a bit complicated and unnecessary .

I have put in a sound bar because i miss bits, but if you watch a really old program or film you won't have any problems, they seem to do things differently these days especially the beeb, trying to make things real when i just say "what did They say"

your local curry's or such might be a good start or the Argos catalogue??

Contact your local Council and ask for a 'Loop System' to be fitted in your home. This is a small box that is connected to both mains electric and your TV (via HDMI lead) A thin wire is then fitted around the room where the TV is installed (usually under the carpet edge) and back to the small box. The box has it's own volume and tone controls.  I simply turn my hearing aids to 'position 3'  (the same position as used by banks, shops etc.) and then listen to the TV direct. The advantage being, I can shut off the TV volume completely and still hear  it through my hearing aids. The system came as a complete package together with a fire alarm system which has a vibrating pad that lays under your pillow to wake you in the event of a fire.  I had this system installed by Lancashire Council at my previous address and now refitted by Sefton Council (Merseyside) at my current address, free of charge. It is checked and maintained annually, by them, also FoC.  If you have a problem with your local Council, try your local CAB. These are not things that the Councils advertise, BUT they are there for your use. 

3 minutes ago, butchdickason said:

My wife and I are having problems with loud piano music being played  which stops us hearing  what is being said, it has got worse lately and seems to be on every other programme.

This is a problem for many and is well known by the programme makers whose desire for mood music completely over-rides their concerns for an ever increasing section - age related - of the viewing public. Too many small fast jets have done for me and am currentyly having problems when using hearing aids - actually, they're not called that any more but can't think offhand of the in vogue term - and consequently the best option for me is sub-titles. Unfortunately, there's another problem I have which as yet I've been unable to resolve which renders this facility less than perfect. A shame.

I have a sound bar for the downstairs TV - which is okay - better than TV built in speakers, but sometimes I struggle to make out the words. I can't understand what Tom Hardy says at the best of times, but sometimes I couldn't understand a single word.

Upstairs we have another TV, with a really tinny sound. I plugged in the speakers from my computer. It was like scales being lifted from your eyes. Totally different and clear as a bell. I went out and bought another pair - £9.99 from Currys.

If your TV will take speakers - it is a cheaper option. If you have a pair on a computer to try - even better.

Another option is cordless headphones for the tv. Some don't overide the normal sound system, so one can listen to it normally and another can listen to it on headphones. My headphones have individual adjustment on volume and base etc. Not home this week so can't remember what make they are. Also bone conduction headphones that bi pass the eardrum can sometimes help. I have a pair for my tablet which work well. They are blue tooth ones off ebay around £25 if I remember right.

7 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, you are not alone on that bobba, i use the subtitles and telly on no 8 sound, you may find subtitles can take up screen space but i do watch foreign drama like walter presents so you get this anyway,

I too use subtitles and find them quite acceptable especially when there is an accent involved which I cannot easily pick up even with my hearing aids in.

Much of the ability to understand speech, I find, is down to a certain amount of lip reading, so someone who clearly defines their words and opens their mouth is far easier to understood than someone who mumbles, regardless of the volume of the speech.

OB