Benelli semi auto will not cycle

The Heron

I have a Benelli Raffaello 20 bore semi auto which will not cycle despite the fact it has had over 500 cartridges through it the cartridges I am using are 32 g hull high pheasant once fired they seem to have become to big to be ejected I wonder if I should use another type or make of cartridge I want to use this shot gun for pest control on the farms that I go to any advice welcome.

Benellis are well made and well designed and if you lubricate and maintain them p[properly they generally function perfectly, and i think if you strip and thoroughly clean the gun then lubricate it with ATF just a light lube it will function fine. When they seem to be not leting the cases out due to length its usualy new guns or old guns very filthy in the back tube bolt spring region, you need to make sure its not over lubricated in this area or it will give exactly the scenario you describe.

Edited by Fen tiger
a missing on area

1 hour ago, Fen tiger said:

Benellis are well made and well designed and if you lubricate and maintain them p[properly they generally function perfectly, and i think if you strip and thoroughly clean the gun then lubricate it with ATF just a light lube it will function fine. When they seem to be not leting the cases out due to length its usualy new guns or old guns very filthy in the back tube bolt spring region, you need to make sure its not over lubricated in this area or it will give exactly the scenario you describe.

Thanks I have done all of the above and it was better than at first but after the amount of cartridges I have put through it I thought it would be better by now frustrating or what?

I shoot benellis brilliant guns , I had a Benelli montefeltro 20 bore bought new , and it was very cartridge fussy went back to gmk twice but never was sorted , did not like hull ,eley or express cartridges , but worked faultlessly with cheddite , rc , fiocchi and Rottweil my advise is try some different brands and find one it likes ,when they work the Benelli 20s are sweet handling guns , funny really as the 12 bore montefeltro I have has never been cartridge fussy and gets cleaned very rarely find it works better dry not over oiled

1 hour ago, The Heron said:

Thanks I have done all of the above and it was better than at first but after the amount of cartridges I have put through it I thought it would be better by now frustrating or what?

The thing is with benellis the bolt spring as to cope with big loads little loads and the broader the range of ammo the more chances of cycling issues.

The stock springs can some times just not be up to the task, replacing with a new\  spring or after market wolf spring or similar can see a gun that as been a total flop begin to function properly.I happen to think Benellis are very well made overall but the springs given the task they have to do i feel some times are simply below par in quality, many use the after market springs and report improved functionality it could just be your gun could benefit from a spring change regardless of its age.

I went through the same process trying to find a cartridge that would cycle the action fully in my 20b Córdoba.......bought several makes and weights which wouldn’t quite eject the case. I spoke to the GMK workshop and it turned out it had already been back to them 9 months before!  Seems I was the unwitting victim in someone-else ‘moving it on’...... this was through a supposedly reputable dealer.

I ended up with Rio’s which it handles well in both 24 and 28......and nearly 900 other cartridges that will have to go through the O/U. 

Cheers

Fizz

I think the Benelli 20 bores are just a bit more sensitive to cartridges than the 12 bore versions , which in my experience have always been faultless . When you find a cartridge it likes and from experience of a 20 bore montefeltro  that is any make as long as not British stick with that make a cartridge and you won’t go far wrong . They can’t be that bad a gun as they would not be the gun of choice in Argentina ( high volume dove shooting ) 20 bore benelli montefeltro  seem to be what most outfits use over there 

Well Beretta own Benelli 

Benelli invented the innertia system so any beretta innertia guns are benelli's

Since this partnership started there seems to be these problems occuring

I had an older monty comfertec and it was faultless. but was shooting pigeon last year with two brothers one of which had bought a new Benelli and he was having alot of issues with it  not recyclingThe other brother was using a browning semi with same cartridges ( Eley pigeon 30 or 32g ) with no issues

Makes one think?

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Why do you lot buy these guns that are so trying?

Because those guns handle and work great you only hear of the problem ones, which more often than not are minor maintenance  issues or operator error which use and experience often iron out in any case.  Most will function on any ammo within reason and if they dont and the gun functions on lets say only  the more lively ammo it tends to be masking a secondary issue thats not been picked up on. like a lubrication or some times the spring quality in the more extreme cases. A few weeks  never mind years with these guns soon gets you used to reading whats causing an issue and how to solve it, once your into whats required they just go on more or less indefinitely, being well made and designed they stand the test of time and often get better and better and guns which in their infancy were reluctant to work on a given load with use will cycle them just fine.  Semi autos of almost any make stand up to hard use and big volumes of ammo, when they do give trouble its more often than not neglect that causes the trouble.

Benelli semi autos are one of the best but a little thought and understanding of how they work goes a long way to helping them be  reliable.

Sorry a modern semi auto shouldn't need specific ammo ,get shot of it . I bought a brand new SBE2 that was the most unreliable gun I've ever had , I new several other Fowler's who had them nicknamed jamelli overpriced carp, threw mine in the wash in temper one flight then had to retrieve it lol.