Sign in to follow this  
Robertt

Lure Fishing my Local Canal. Hard graft !

10 years ago catching a Pike, in the canal on my doorstep was no big deal and I caught many just messing about with a lure, whilst taking the kids for a walk or testing a new lure.

Now is different.  Floating pallets with numerous dead baits attached., night lines and other clandestine methods have eventually taken their toll.

I used to catch 200 ish, a year in the cut on lures, from 2003 - 2013. 

2017 and 2018, I struggle not to blank.

Anyway, was out today after a seroius run of blanks and after walking for several miles caught an 8 on the last lure in the box, a big  jerkbait.

Was delighted to catch but not time effective, which makes you wonder is ot worth bothering ?

Edited by Robertt

Sad news to see enjoyable pike fishing ruined. Things are hard enough everywhere with otters and cormorants let alone set lines and the like.

I presume you have reported this illegal fishing activity to the Environment Agency ?

When I found a similar thing happening on the River Wye in Hereford they were down there very quickly.

That was not Eastern Europeans but a couple of local numpties.

Now the numbers are down I haven't seen many folk at it.

As you say it wasn't just Euro's but our travellers as well.

The EA were told but I havent heard of any positive action taken. 

The match anglers are secretly pleased with the situation.

God knows how many have gone but about 4 years ago a dog walker ( who I know to be truthful ) witnessed18 Pike going into the back of a van. A crew of 5 overnight fishing !

The overall attitude towards Pike is negative, in some quarters, so I can understand the lack of enthusiasm by the powers that be.

I will carry on till the shooting season starts and perhaps switch to Perch.

Edited by Robertt

hello, the main reason on the decline of fish stocks in our waters for the last 20 years is poaching by foreigners, i have seen this first hand on the Thames here and a small river in the vale full of brook trout, with the thames was a dad/mum and 3 children take 2 shopping bags full not one could speak english, the other a bag of nice brook trout taken by a polish yobbo of about 20 so i informed local river looker after and guess what sod all done, Hungerford on the Kennet had this happen but hey soon stopped by locals who take pride in their love of this river, and still happens now , Wallingford to Henley river Thames i know people who row and every sunday its like a flotiller of boats, ps maybe spelt wrong :rolleyes:

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, the main reason on the decline of fish stocks in our waters for the last 20 years is poaching by foreigners, i have seen this first hand on the Thames here and a small river in the vale full of brook trout, with the thames was a dad/mum and 3 children take 2 shopping bags full not one could speak english, the other a bag of nice brook trout taken by a polish yobbo of about 20 so i informed local river looker after and guess what sod all done, Hungerford on the Kennet had this happen but hey soon stopped by locals who take pride in their love of this river, and still happens now , Wallingford to Henley river Thames i know people who row and every sunday its like a flotiller of boats, ps maybe spelt wrong

hello, IF YOU GO ON BBC 1 AND PRESS THE RED BUTTON, THEN ON THE INDEX GO ON THE UK NEWS ON PAGE 3     FISH THEFTS IN UK ???

On 17/08/2018 at 23:28, Robertt said:

10 years ago catching a Pike, in the canal on my doorstep was no big deal and I caught many just messing about with a lure, whilst taking the kids for a walk or testing a new lure.

Now is different.  Floating pallets with numerous dead baits attached., night lines and other clandestine methods have eventually taken their toll.

I used to catch 200 ish, a year in the cut on lures, from 2003 - 2013. 

2017 and 2018, I struggle not to blank.

Anyway, was out today after a seroius run of blanks and after walking for several miles caught an 8 on the last lure in the box, a big  jerkbait.

Was delighted to catch but not time effective, which makes you wonder is ot worth bothering ?

it's not just the polish on our waters who take the pike the match anglers don't think twice of banging them on the head, just a shame

56 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

it's not just the polish on our waters who take the pike the match anglers don't think twice of banging them on the head, just a shame

hello, i very much agree Dave, i did not do any piking last year and into this and not many were fishing for pike either, see how this coming winter goes,