Lure Fishing my Local Canal. Hard graft !

Robertt

14 hours ago, oowee said:

If it's £55 for a ticket that does not sound that much to me for a day?

£80 an angler for a boat plus fuel and accommodation. Usually, two days to make the journey worthwhile.

5 minutes ago, Fishing Richie said:

Chew Valley Lake is probably the best pike water in Europe when you look how many big fish it produces.

This winter has been poor though by Chews high standards with many sighting  the very hot summer as the reason.

As regards ticket prices, BW Fisheries can charge these amounts as demand has always outstripped supply.

Yep.

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am sure Farmoor near Oxford is open for pike fishing, 

Nowhere near the quality of Chew. Fished Farmoor on the first couple of days that they ran the pike trials as my mate worked for TW and ran the days, very, very poor.

7 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Nowhere near the quality of Chew. Fished Farmoor on the first couple of days that they ran the pike trials as my mate worked for TW and ran the days, very, very poor.

hello, i think it has got better since the trials a  36llb er came out in 2017, mind you i would never pay any money to fish for pike,  

15 hours ago, hambone said:

And the pike from Chew Valley are very nice in batter with chips, 

In the days when it wasn't frowned upon to take pike from the water I often ate pike. Great eating as long as you brine them first.

In parts of France "Brochet" is still very much on the menu and in some bars near lac de Gerardmer they boil the flesh off of large pike skulls then varnish them and mount them on the walls! 

On 02/01/2019 at 09:52, Bobba said:

As a teenage fisherman in the late 50's early 60's it was folklore that pike fisherman would fish the Somerset Levels and on the way back to Bristol deliberately introduce pike in to Chew Valley Lake. The Chew 2019 pike fishing dates and prices have been announced. £55 bank day ticket: £160 per boat (two anglers)!!! 

Holy cow!

• 1 month later...

Years ago I went to county mayo and fished on loch mask. If you look up Brian Joyce he runs a self contained (and quit nice I might add) cabin or 2 with rod room. There is a private beach 30 yards away for the boats and an almost empty (of people) make 10 likes long stuffed full of trout and pike and with lots of little islands dotted about. Quite beautiful country.

We caught a 30 lb pike exactly 1 metre long. It was the third fish like that in 2 days. We had it stuffed and mounted. The locals like you to take them as they eat the trout. 

For pike and fly fishing I know of no where better. 

The place is called 

Derrypark Lodge Tourmakeady Co.Mayo

Edited by GingerCat