Super glue "varnish"

fatchap

Has anyone tried this and had any degree of success with it?

I have seen it  done on videos on youtube and the results are amazing but I just cannot get it to work.

A rag soaked in boiled linseed oil with a penny sized amount of super glue added to the center then applied to the wood.

The result is like glass, seriously shiny with the grain popping , I have had many attempts on wood knife scales and the result is streaky and pretty awful its also a job to get off as well as it dries so quickly.

Anyone know how they do it?

Edited by fatchap

• 1 month later...

I've been using superglue as a finish slightly differently. Take a credit card, some medium superglue and 'spread it' on a surface, then scrape it flat, and do it again a few times to build it up. Then wet sand flat, do it again, and eventually polish. You get a nail-hard finish that is excellent and probably bulletproof!

I can definitely swear by the finish you get, it's really hard as stone, almost glass like.

On 18/08/2018 at 14:16, fatchap said:

Now thats a finish. Holy grail for me on a knife handle.

Maybe it only works on wood turning.

It works well as a knife handle finish if you like the high-gloss look and feel; can be a bit slick when wet/bloody.

It’s durable - I did the handle on this years ago and it’s seen some heavy use, as per the bottom picture:

IMG_5285.jpg

IMG_5881.jpg

I also use to strengthen the working edge of carved spatulas, spoons and ladles which I make for the kitchen.

The technique I use is as a final finish, i.e. after all shaping and sanding. (Blade should still be taped/wrapped at this stage.)

1. Degrease/remove dust etc with rubbing alcohol/isopropyl alcohol.

2. Plug any areas that could accumulate the polymerised oil/glue, eg. lanyard tube. Plasticine or blue tack can be used.

3. Apply a light coat of boiled linseed oil to the handle. 

4. Apply a small amount of liquid (runny/low viscosity) cyano-acrylate/“super glue” by rubbing it over the oiled wood using a finger tip wrapped in cling film. Light, stroking, circular movements seem to work best to thin the coating and spread the glue evenly. Don’t try to get a thick layer in one go or you will end up with lumps, streaks or droplets that are the very devil to sand down. Cheap, unbranded liquid CA glue seems to work fine. It goes without saying that there is a real possibility of gluing parts of yourself to the knife etc. so don’t be a muppet.

5. Allow to dry.

6. Sand lightly with fine grit (800-1200), remove dust and repeat steps 3 to 5.

7. After several coats you should have a hard, glassy finish. I buff this to a high gloss on a rouge wheel (always take great care even with the blade well wrapped.) 

It takes a bit of time but the finish stays glossy for ages and looks great on figured wood. It probably helps protected spalted wood (like that above) from cracking/splitting. If damage occurs,  sand lightly and repeat!

Edited by Bangbangman

• 2 weeks later...