Ahhhhh

Gunman

This last week has been a right pain . On Tuesday the conservatory fitters arrived ,3 hours late , to relay the floor base that was cracking up . The new floor is uneven and showing sings of cracking already . 

Today the bedding company delivered a replacement mattress ,this was to replace 9 month old one that was collapsing . We had chosen a different one in a "medium" softness . The one delivered was harder than the one we tried in the store  and labeled as "firm" . When questioned they are trying to palm us off with the story that they have changed their labeling so a medium is now a firm but they claim is still the one we wanted .  

Is it just me ?

We have problems tho where customers expect quality that’s out of our hands .

if I make you a front door it’s gone silly on what people expect. Trees have branches which create knots.

they grow they shrink and it’s out of my hands.

we have loads of diy painters that think they can paint. They can’t .

they don’t seal the glass with paint , caulk the expansion grooves solid and never paint the bottom. It’s then my fault ??? 

. I had a job recently put gloss straight onto primer ??? Apparently it’s good stuff . Then they ask me why the windows rotten in ten years. 

People expect joinery to be furniture but it’s not.

on the other hand my last Vw t5.1 was only sprayed in white primer under the bonnet ? On a red van :/ 

apparently it’s money saving but it’s still £24,000 to buy.

14 minutes ago, team tractor said:

if I make you a front door it’s gone silly on what people expect. Trees have branches which create knots.

they don’t seal the glass with paint , caulk the expansion grooves solid and never paint the bottom. It’s then my fault  

. I had a job recently put gloss straight onto primer  Apparently it’s good stuff . Then they ask me why the windows rotten in ten years. 

on the other hand my last Vw t5.1 was only sprayed in white primer under the bonnet ? On a red van  

Tell me about it, part of the reason I had enough of it, saying that though, the quality has gone down, timber not kiln dried correctly, hard wood grown between spruce trees to force the growth rate making the timber less dense and poorer quality, it can cause difficulties down the line.

9 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Tell me about it, part of the reason I had enough of it, saying that though, the quality has gone down, timber not kiln dried correctly, hard wood grown between spruce trees to force the growth rate making the timber less dense and poorer quality, it can cause difficulties down the line.

That is a silvicultural practice and it isn't new.

It's got nothing to do with growth rate either.

2 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

That is a silvicultural practice and it isn't new.

It's got nothing to do with growth rate either.

Well you live and learn, timber quality is deffinatley not as good as it used to be though, maybe they cut the trees down earlier than they used to, resulting in more timber from smaller section trees with tighter circumference growth rings and timber that moves more.

43 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Well you live and learn, timber quality is deffinatley not as good as it used to be though, maybe they cut the trees down earlier than they used to, resulting in more timber from smaller section trees with tighter circumference growth rings and timber that moves more.

Softwood isn’t as good but I guess you can’t rush a 200 year old oak tree. 

13 hours ago, team tractor said:

they don’t seal the glass with paint , caulk the expansion grooves solid and never paint the bottom. It’s then my fault  

. I had a job recently put gloss straight onto primer  Apparently it’s good stuff . Then they ask me why the windows rotten in ten years. 

on the other hand my last Vw t5.1 was only sprayed in white primer under the bonnet ? On a red van  

Recently did some softwood windows locally in houses which are 10 years old. They expand in the heat, crack the paint, which then starts to lift when it rains. Rather than call someone, even for a bit of advice, the owner botches a DIY job by totally neglecting any prep’ work and simply paints top coat over everything after using bathroom silicone to seal around the frames and even some glazing bars. The water that has seeped under the flaking paint is now sealed in so the wood stays wet, and slowly deteriorates, then next summer the wood expands again, following a winter where the damp wood has frozen, and the entire process is repeated by the owner. 

A few years later, when the drip channel has almost rotted away, the wood has either gone green or black, and the wood is split, they ring me and expect me to put it right with a bit of filler and three coats of paint! ?

One woman has a wonderful oak front door, but it also moves ( as green oak will ) and rains in at various times of the year.  I suggested she fit an engineered door rather than paint the oak one. She’s gone down this route. 

3 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Possibly that but there has always been **** quality wood. Good wood is expensive. Always has been. If you are getting something made of wood for cheap, hard or softwood it will likely be ****.