Alex Jones - Info Wars

Danger-Mouse

I'm quite surprised a thread about this topic hasn't already popped up but then again I'm not sure how hard the story has hit the mainstream media.

For those who don't know Alex Jones hosted a show called Info Wars on alternative media, primarily Youtube but also across the other social media sites. I've only ever seen a few bits from the show and from what I've seen AJ was a bit of a crackpot doing stories about conspiricy theories and the like. Now I'm not exactly sure if he genuinely believes the things he says or whether it's more of an act, as I've heard suggested by other commentators.

However, aside from the sensationalistic stories AJ was also quite right wing and a supporter of Trump. Indeed it has been suggested that his show and it's support of Trump was influential in him winning the last US elections. It has also been suggested that the ban has come just as the US Midterm Elections are coming up. Jones has literally millions of followers and this ban will deny many of them the chance to hear content that would be pro-Trump.

For those that are not aware AJ's account on YT was deleted last week. The reason given was that he had broken the rules of the site, alledgedly publishing content that they considered hate speech. This in itself does not seem too sinister. However, within hours of YT banning him several other alternative media outlets like FB, Spotify and Apple Podcasts had also removed his content and over the following days other sites also banned him.

Following AJ's ban came an attack on Stefan Molyneux (another content producer often considered part of the Alt Right movement, and a Trump supporter) who received "2 strikes" from YT leaving him on the verge of also being banned. However, rapid response from his followers protesting about the strikes saw them quickly removed by YT.

Now YT is clearly within it's rights to ban content that breaches it's terms of service. But is that what we are really seeing here? It has been suggested by other content creators like Sargon of Akkad and Computing Forever that YT is following a leftist agenda and actively censoring content that goes against it's own political leanings.

If this is the case then it is a very worrying development. These media sites are essentially controlling what we can hear (or as Sargon suggested the users of the site are pressuring the site to ban content that does not conform to the user's political agendas) and if so this is an attack on free speech.

Here is Sargon's take on the issue . . .

He’s a pathetic attention seeking shock-jock in my opinion. Look at some of the **** he spews...

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-lists/alex-jones-mis-infowars-7-bat-sht-conspiracy-theories-195468/bill-gates-is-a-eugenicist-trying-to-wipe-out-minorities-116751/

I am against gagging free speech, HOWEVER, if what comes out of someone’s mouth is offensive, dangerous, bull**** then should they have that right taken away?

Should Alex Jones be gagged? How about Nigel Farage? Should everyone have the right to free speech? “Yes!”, you all cry...

How about Anjem Choudary and Abu Hamza?

You can’t pick and choose depending on who’s voice you like. In my opinion everyone needs the ability to speak freely, however, offensive it may be. Opposing voices can speak up in response if they wish, the public can be left to make an informed decision as to who they believe and the legal system can deal with any contraventions of our laws.

4 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

I'm not surprised, almost all media has a major left agenda. We all know the lefty way is - it my way or no way. They believe in free speech as long as it goes with their agenda.

Except Alex Jones is anything but a lefty and what's more the "left" have by far been the most vocal in protesting his (instantaneous bans from several social media sites all at once). 

It's quite simple really, he's being used as a sacrificial guinea pig to test the water for when "they" start removing accounts of "troublesome" voices, the real target is of course the actual truthers.

25 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Except Alex Jones is anything but a lefty and what's more the "left" have by far been the most vocal in protesting his (instantaneous bans from several social media sites all at once). 

It's quite simple really, he's being used as a sacrificial guinea pig to test the water for when "they" start removing accounts of "troublesome" voices, the real target is of course the actual truthers.

Sorry I didn't quite make the post clear, I wasn't suggesting he was a Lefty not that I've seen any of his posts/videos, but going from the original post.

I was suggesting that the media outlets that have banned his accounts are left, far left fot that matter just like most media.

Edited by Newbie to this

4 hours ago, Munzy said:

He’s a pathetic attention seeking shock-jock in my opinion. Look at some of the **** he spews...

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-lists/alex-jones-mis-infowars-7-bat-sht-conspiracy-theories-195468/bill-gates-is-a-eugenicist-trying-to-wipe-out-minorities-116751/

I am against gagging free speech, HOWEVER, if what comes out of someone’s mouth is offensive, dangerous, ******** then should they have that right taken away?

Should Alex Jones be gagged? How about Nigel Farage? Should everyone have the right to free speech? “Yes!”, you all cry...

You can’t pick and choose depending on who’s voice you like. In my opinion everyone needs the ability to speak freely, however, offensive it may be. Opposing voices can speak up in response if they wish, the public can be left to make an informed decision as to who they believe and the legal system can deal with any contraventions of our laws.

Nigel Farage and Alex Jones do not spout race hatred, and encourage the murder of non-islamists. Your 2 pals Choudry & Hamza do....strange friends you have. You are not  Corbyn, are you?

Edited by pinfireman
mis-spelling!

45 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

Nigel Farage and Alex Jones do not spout race hatred, and encourage the murder of non-islamists. Your 2 pals Choudry & Hamza do....strange friends you have. You are not  Corbyn, are you?

It's not about being friends with them, or agreeing with or liking what they say. It's about them having the right to speak. If you truly believe in free speech then everyone, no matter how distasteful their views may be should be allowed to speak their mind.

I'm pretty sure that's what Munzy is saying too.

44 minutes ago, Danger-Mouse said:

It's not about being friends with them, or agreeing with or liking what they say. It's about them having the right to speak. If you truly believe in free speech then everyone, no matter how distasteful their views may be should be allowed to speak their mind.

I'm pretty sure that's what Munzy is saying too.

That’s EXACTLY what I’m saying @Danger-Mouse, thanks.

Choudry and Hamza aren’t my friends, what an idiotic thing to say @pinfireman.

The point is, you can’t pick and choose, you either have free speech or you don’t.

6 hours ago, Munzy said:

I am against gagging free speech, HOWEVER, if what comes out of someone’s mouth is offensive, dangerous, ******** then should they have that right taken away?

I would say there is a line between free speech and calling for people to be harmed or killed, that said, personally I beleive community will police itself to an extent and even the likes of Choudary could be left to say what they want in my opinion, so long as others were allowed to say what they thought of him and his like in return, however, speaking out against anyone with a protected characteristic is totally one sided, Rotherham ring anyone?

These companies have terms and conditions. You are asked to tick a box to say you agree with and will abide by those T&C. When you break them the company gets miffed because other users tell them and if you repeatedly cross the line you lose the right to access that platform. 

His freedom of speach hasn't been impinged and no one is censoring him. He just no longer has the access to the platform as a place to voice his opinions. 

If he wants control over his content he needs to set up a server a  digital communications company and install cable to all the houses that want to see his performances. 

10 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I would say there is a line between free speech and calling for people to be harmed or killed, that said, personally I beleive community will police itself to an extent and even the likes of Choudary could be left to say what they want in my opinion, so long as others were allowed to say what they thought of him and his like in return, however, speaking out against anyone with a protected characteristic is totally one sided, Rotherham ring anyone?

Have you ever read or heard people say : turn the middle east to glass or car park or just nuke the whole lot of them etc, etc, ? The trouble with Free speech is that you must be totally impartial, not being able to even see the hate speech of one side doesn't quite work. 

5 hours ago, Hamster said:

Have you ever read or heard people say : turn the middle east to glass or car park or just nuke the whole lot of them etc, etc, ? The trouble with Free speech is that you must be totally impartial, not being able to even see the hate speech of one side doesn't quite work. 

Again I think there's a huge difference, in your case it would be capability and intent.

15 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Rotherham, and ALL the other towns and cities, ring a BIG BELL!  There is a difference between free speech, and incitement to murder!